Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with the best V-Drive for slalom skiing

32off

Hello everyone. I have been given the task of finding a v drive that also has a respectable slalom wake.... Tough order but I thought some of the early v drives were pretty good on the slalom side...maybe 2001 or so?  Any input on the subject would be appreciated. 

ahopkins22LSV

What is your expectations for skiing? Walk up the line in the course? Ski a few specific line lengths in the course? Casually free ski? Aggressively free ski? What is your current boat and skiing “norm”?

I agree with oj that the vtx is a phenomenal option and the years he specified are great. There are other options though and answering the questions above will definitely help us guide you.

Current ski lengths are 22-28 off and skiing at 34 mph. Problem is I am buying this for someone else... They do no surfing and occasional wake-boarding.  The V Drive option is all about the space for them...

I was looking at some 2000-2003 VLX's??

23 minutes ago, 32off said:

Problem is I am buying this for someone else.

How generous of you!  :)  If they are not surfing, why not grab them a 2009-2010 Response FXi?  Seats 10 (not that you'll get a decent slalom wake with that crew)

aside from the popular malibu options (sunscape, early vlx, vtx) another great option is the mid to later 2000's Tige 20 V's. I have skied one and the wake was flatter as softer than a friends malibu sportster.

Any way you slice it, 22 off is going to be a challenging rope length on any V-drive.  Assuming you're looking in those years due to budget, your best options are going to be:

2001 Sunsetter VLX (I have skied into 28 off in the course behind one of these and free ski it all the time at 28 and 32 off)

2002-2004 Sunscape 21 LSV (this is the same boat as the 2001 VLX with an updated deck and interior)

Above 30 mph the wakes are much better than below.  Drop to 26 or 28 to teach newbies and the wakes get BIG.

Here's the 01 VLX at 28 off, 34 mph with 4 adults all with ski gear, two river anchors, a barefoot boom, and a pretty full fuel load.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFuJ2csoSkwfXLUK7

• Like 4

The other part of the question is what are the expectations, and what are they used to?

We had an 02 23lsv, and it skied really well, especially for a big boat. Its not going to be as good as a vtx, but pretty close. We have a 2011 vtx, and honestly the difference between the two isn't huge, except for the difference in interior space. If interior space is the big concern, i wouldn't shy away from that era 23 lsv on a diamond hull.

7 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Any way you slice it, 22 off is going to be a challenging rope length on any V-drive.  Assuming you're looking in those years due to budget, your best options are going to be:

2001 Sunsetter VLX (I have skied into 28 off in the course behind one of these and free ski it all the time at 28 and 32 off)

2002-2004 Sunscape 21 LSV (this is the same boat as the 2001 VLX with an updated deck and interior)

Above 30 mph the wakes are much better than below.  Drop to 26 or 28 to teach newbies and the wakes get BIG.

Here's the 01 VLX at 28 off, 34 mph with 4 adults all with ski gear, two river anchors, a barefoot boom, and a pretty full fuel load.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFuJ2csoSkwfXLUK7

Read this as he is right.  Only Vdrive models/years with the SV23 on the diamond hull.  Otherwise, the VTX is the answer.  VTX, though shorter, is a much wider hull, so interior space will end up being a little better on it.  VTX will also be more expensive.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Sale pending, but it would not be my choice.  Big boat!

You’re calling that a big boat? It’s basically a 200 with a vdrive engine. What boat is smaller than that?

MalibuNation
16 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Agreed with UW that the 2002 -2004 21' Sunscape LSV"s have a decent ski wake.

Infinity Ski Boats was created under the Specialty Marine Group in 1999 as a supplier of watersport products. Vessels designed for making the most of skiing and wakeboarding, standard inboard powerplants for Infinity Ski Boats produce 310 horsepower. Created by the founder of the marine business MasterCraft, Infinity Ski Boats would stop production of watercrafts in 2004.  Rob Shirley is still designing boats AFAIK.  You wanna see neat?  Look up Keaton Boats.