Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Surf Question

MalibuRyan

I have a 2012 Wakesetter with the LSA. Used one of the factory/presets for wake surfing. The wake was very rough and not the best for wake surfing. 

Setting was both rear and center ballasts were filled and wedge was all the way down. What are you all using for this set up?

I don't have the surf gate on my boat, but have one that suctions outside the boat, but I didn't use it this time. 

Just factory or do you have any additional sacs in boat. if so how much. Did you list the boat with no surf device attached?

Example (my 2010) 

Before GSA and listed

all factory tanks full 900 in rear surf side. 750 floor in rear cabin towards surf side. 1100 on top of the 750 and seat. 800 bow center (I did not have a bow tank) and 400 surf side bow. Wedge to set length/height of wave.

With GSA

all factory tanks full. 900 in rear lockers, 300 under surf side seat up to 1100 in bow. Wedge to set length/height of wave.

Do you have any pics

28 minutes ago, MalibuRyan said:

I have a 2012 Wakesetter with the LSA. Used one of the factory/presets for wake surfing. The wake was very rough and not the best for wake surfing. 

Setting was both rear and center ballasts were filled and wedge was all the way down. What are you all using for this set up?

I don't have the surf gate on my boat, but have one that suctions outside the boat, but I didn't use it this time. 

With no gate in operation , you would have to old school and list it almost uncomfortably for passengers to create a surfable wave

you have your suction device, use it snd play with its  placement snd then mod your ballast to perform the gate 

Edited by granddaddy55
7 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Just factory or do you have any additional sacs in boat. if so how much. Did you list the boat with no surf device attached?

Example (my 2010) 

Before GSA and listed

all factory tanks full 900 in rear surf side. 750 floor in rear cabin towards surf side. 1100 on top of the 750 and seat. 800 bow center (I did not have a bow tank) and 400 surf side bow. Wedge to set length/height of wave.

With GSA

all factory tanks full. 900 in rear lockers, 300 under surf side seat up to 1100 in bow. Wedge to set length/height of wave.

Do you have any pics

I just have the factory sacs in the boat, I believe it's around 1,500?(All 4)

I didn't get any pics I'll see if my sister did. 

Just now, granddaddy55 said:

With no gate no operation , you would have to old school and list it almost uncomfortably for passengers to create a wake 

you have your suction device, use it snd play with its  placement snd then mid your ballast to perform the gate 

Thanks for the input, didn't think it would be this much of an issue. I will try that suction surf gate and see what it does. 

2 hours ago, MalibuRyan said:

I just have the factory sacs in the boat, I believe it's around 1,500?(All 4)

I didn't get any pics I'll see if my sister did. 

Thanks for the input, didn't think it would be this much of an issue. I will try that suction surf gate and see what it does. 

As @ahopkinsVTX stated.. you will need more ballast... As you can see, I run around 4200 of ballast in boat + crew. You don't have to piggy back right away but does make it much nicer to fill with a switch instead of throw over pump.. But I will recommend at least adding 2 910lb bags to rear... you will eventually notice that you will need bow weight as well.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Even with an aftermarket surf device, you are going to have to add additional weight. I’d suggest looking into adding the wakemakers piggy back system. 

Thanks Man! 

16 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

As @ahopkinsVTX stated.. you will need more ballast... As you can see, I run around 4200 of ballast in boat + crew. You don't have to piggy back right away but does make it much nicer to fill with a switch instead of throw over pump.. But I will recommend at least adding 2 910lb bags to rear... you will eventually notice that you will need bow weight as well.

I don't think I am serious enough about it to add in additional weight or anything like that, just was curious what I could do to make the best wake with what I have right now. 

24 minutes ago, MalibuRyan said:

Thanks Man! 

I don't think I am serious enough about it to add in additional weight or anything like that, just was curious what I could do to make the best wake with what I have right now. 

Good luck... stock wave will be extremely tough to learn how to surf, you can get some used bags pretty cheap.  Just saying, you will be disappointed (as you  probably will not be able to go ropeless) until you add more weight. 

What are you using for a board?  A fast enough board should be fine to get you ropeless without much more weight than you're running.  Hell, I could go ropeless up to 10' back from the platform on an '01 VLX with 1500-ish lbs of ballast listed all surf-side.  It wasn't a very long pocket but with a fast board I rarely fell off the wave unless I was trying a spin or something.

@Ronnie has a bunch of bags and pumps on the Classifieds section if you're looking for a good way to add more without breaking the bank.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

What are you using for a board?  A fast enough board should be fine to get you ropeless without much more weight than you're running.  Hell, I could go ropeless up to 10' back from the platform on an '01 VLX with 1500-ish lbs of ballast listed all surf-side.  It wasn't a very long pocket but with a fast board I rarely fell off the wave unless I was trying a spin or something.

@Ronnie has a bunch of bags and pumps on the Classifieds section if you're looking for a good way to add more without breaking the bank.

This is the wake surf board I got that came with the boat, just different color. 

https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-modello-fish-skim.html

IMG_7987.JPG

skim-style board is always going to be harder to ride ropeless than surf style.  You might be able to put larger fins on it to get more push out of it.  Not sure with that board.

2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

skim-style board is always going to be harder to ride ropeless than surf style.  You might be able to put larger fins on it to get more push out of it.  Not sure with that board.

hmmm... I think this is one of those "absolute statements are always wrong" kind of things.  My victoria skims are "faster" that my soulcraft if just passively standing on the board.  The soulcraft probably accelerates faster if pumped, but it's also going to need to be pumped to stay in whereas the skimmer won't.  Of course it depends on the skim and the surfstyle board to be sure.  A skim with too much rocker gonna be slow.

40 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

hmmm... I think this is one of those "absolute statements are always wrong" kind of things.  My victoria skims are "faster" that my soulcraft if just passively standing on the board.  The soulcraft probably accelerates faster if pumped, but it's also going to need to be pumped to stay in whereas the skimmer won't.  Of course it depends on the skim and the surfstyle board to be sure.  A skim with too much rocker gonna be slow.

cool.  My experience is somewhat limited so certainly could be wrong on that.  Only tried a skim once (forget which) and it was much harder for me to keep moving than the surfers.

2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

cool.  My experience is somewhat limited so certainly could be wrong on that.  Only tried a skim once (forget which) and it was much harder for me to keep moving than the surfers.

Our first one (phase 5 icon) was SUPER slow.  but the victorias are totally fast.  Really fun if you ever get the chance to ride one, I'd recommend!

3 hours ago, MalibuRyan said:

This is the wake surf board I got that came with the boat, just different color. 

https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-modello-fish-skim.html

IMG_7987.JPG

That mission suck gate is a good one. FYI....If it doesn't float, tie it too a fender or life jacket with a piece of string so if it pops off you can find it. Tying it to the boat can result in is slinging back into the boat and damaging the gelcoat. I have a friend with an older VLX (think its an 08 or 09) that uses a mission suck gate and has about 4k lbs of ballast including lead and it makes a kickass wave. 

On suckgate, fill all your ballast plus full wedge, then drain off a little bit of the rear ballast on the NON-surf side so you have a slight list on the boat (like maybe 200lb difference.... OR, fill all ballast 100% and instead have at least 2 more passengers sitting on the surf side so the passenger weight gives the boat slight list.

Attach the suck gate to the boat, you want it as far back as possible on boat (with the mission, typically having the gate facing forward gives best wave). Also, depending on the suckgate/boat....the placement of the suck gate in relation to water level can make a BIG difference on how clean wave is. On most, you want the top edge of the suck gate to be just above the water level when you are at surf speed (that means the gate is going to throw a little bit of a rooster tail, that is good)....some boats are ok with the gate being a little under the water. Try it at a couple different heights to see what your boat likes till you have the best wave.

If your boat has a step in the hull and you can only place it at one height due to that (likely the lowest spot since you dont have a ton of ballast), then drain some ballast on the NON surf side of the boat (same side the suck gate will be on), that will bring the gate up a little as the boat lists down to the surf side and likely give you good results.

You can make a good clean wave with that Mission suck gate, just play with it a little and you will get it.

14 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Appreciate the info, new to the wake surfing and just trying to figure it out. I was told this was a really good board. 

14 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Ever tried one of these Ronix skims before?

12 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

That mission suck gate is a good one. FYI....If it doesn't float, tie it too a fender or life jacket with a piece of string so if it pops off you can find it. Tying it to the boat can result in is slinging back into the boat and damaging the gelcoat. I have a friend with an older VLX (think its an 08 or 09) that uses a mission suck gate and has about 4k lbs of ballast including lead and it makes a kickass wave. 

On suckgate, fill all your ballast plus full wedge, then drain off a little bit of the rear ballast on the NON-surf side so you have a slight list on the boat (like maybe 200lb difference.... OR, fill all ballast 100% and instead have at least 2 more passengers sitting on the surf side so the passenger weight gives the boat slight list.

Attach the suck gate to the boat, you want it as far back as possible on boat (with the mission, typically having the gate facing forward gives best wave). Also, depending on the suckgate/boat....the placement of the suck gate in relation to water level can make a BIG difference on how clean wave is. On most, you want the top edge of the suck gate to be just above the water level when you are at surf speed (that means the gate is going to throw a little bit of a rooster tail, that is good)....some boats are ok with the gate being a little under the water. Try it at a couple different heights to see what your boat likes till you have the best wave.

If your boat has a step in the hull and you can only place it at one height due to that (likely the lowest spot since you dont have a ton of ballast), then drain some ballast on the NON surf side of the boat (same side the suck gate will be on), that will bring the gate up a little as the boat lists down to the surf side and likely give you good results.

You can make a good clean wave with that Mission suck gate, just play with it a little and you will get it.

WOW, can't thank you enough for the incite! Mines a 2012 Wakesetter. I'll have to get out there and play with this to find the right wave. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

As all has been said, you will need a lot more than factory hardtanks. I had an 15 A22 that I ran about 4k ballast in. Dont fight it...embrace it...maybe yourdealer can loan you floor sack with over the side pump, so you can see. Heavily ballasted boats drive like pigs, but the surf waves are great. It is also easier teaching, and learning yourself , on a bigger wave.

Edited by carguy79ta
18 hours ago, UWSkier said:

My Victoria blows away my Doomswell for speed.  Not even contest.  It's why I dont ride the Doom as much.

Liquid Force Primo (2018)   - Been happy with my purchase last year.   Maybe not as good as some of the more expensive boards but everyone likes it.  

Can setup with 1 center fin for skim style or 2 outer fins for more surf style.  

image.png.ddb58f2a7e17c268198f11b484cf313e.png