Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Stern Thruster

twitchee2

I think I am going to try and rig up a stern thruster.  I would have been really nice last week with a very crowded dock.  I have no problem maneuvering around a the dock but I really like the idea of having a way to counter act prop walk. 

My plan is to find a trolling motor for cheap (CL, Offerup, FB, etc.), make a custom mount so it is permanently mounted to push the boat to port and then rig up a push button controller (this is the really easy part for me). How much thrust do you think I will need? In my research I can get up to ~55lbs thrust on a 12V system and 30-45lb units are dime a dozen. I think I have a bit of an advantage with the transom overhang on my SS LXI and the giant swim step, it means I can tuck the trolling motor up to keep it as safe as possible. I also think I can do this for ~$100-$150.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

That looks pretty clean, be interesting to hear how it works! I imagine all the stern thrusters deal with this, but having the exhaust outlet pointed right where the propeller is, wont it cause it to cavitate or not "grab" the water efficiently? Maybe not since you will only use it at docking speeds and your water test will tell all. Also wonder if it will effect the surf wave set out from the transom like that, seems like it will have a good bit of water force against the motor housing. I would keep an eye on those hose clamps. Nice job, let us know how it goes

1 hour ago, bjw444 said:

o it doesn’t cut anyone’s fingers off

Geez, I hope no one is  in the water when that thing is on!  I'd have a good lockout for that thing. The blades themselves are not that sharp, but enclosing in alu is a great idea nonetheless.

Thanks guys. 

This is my first prototype, in the long run I may add a cover, but we will see how it works first.  Interesting thought on the exhaust location, it is not directly in line so I think it should be ok. And yes, this is for slow speed maneuvering only. it will be completely our of the water on plane. I am not expecting any effect on the surf wake, mainly because this is a SunSetter LXI, it doesn't surf well to being with :lol:

I am also not concerned with the hose clamps at all.  The motor is only good for 40 lbs of thrust.  I can push a lot harder than 40 lbs on it. It is not going anywhere. In a previous job, i was working on a project that was similar. It made 100+ lbs of thrust and used the same mounting technique.

1 hour ago, twitchee2 said:

I needed a project.

And I have several old trolling motors lying around, so I'm thinking of doing this also.  I'd probably use a PVC pipe for a shield/duct rather than aluminum. 

This could be handy on a slalom lake when the next skier is slow and the breeze begins to make the boat turn or drift to the side.  Instead of the crazy S-turn to line up on the course, a thruster would line you up as you idle forward. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, justgary said:

And I have several old trolling motors lying around, so I'm thinking of doing this also.  I'd probably use a PVC pipe for a shield/duct rather than aluminum. 

This could be handy on a slalom lake when the next skier is slow and the breeze begins to make the boat turn or drift to the side.  Instead of the crazy S-turn to line up on the course, a thruster would line you up as you idle forward. 

On this subject, I tend to pull a lot of newbies. It would be nice to be able to straighten out the boat without dragging them as well

• Like 2

Heck, even with teaching people on a boom.  As soon as they grab the boom or rope, all I can do is turn left around them.  This might allow me to control that torque just a little bit. 

So now I'm picturing a control box that allows me to dial the thrust and direction I want, then push a button to start the thruster.  The box would turn off the thruster when the engine speed gets above about 1000 RPM or so. 

Hmmmm....

25 minutes ago, justgary said:

Heck, even with teaching people on a boom.  As soon as they grab the boom or rope, all I can do is turn left around them.  This might allow me to control that torque just a little bit. 

So now I'm picturing a control box that allows me to dial the thrust and direction I want, then push a button to start the thruster.  The box would turn off the thruster when the engine speed gets above about 1000 RPM or so. 

Hmmmm....

Go look at my wake garage thread. I'm using a servo drive to control everything.  For now I'm just doing full blast but options are wide open for control

8 minutes ago, twitchee2 said:

Go look at my wake garage thread. I'm using a servo drive to control everything.  For now I'm just doing full blast but options are wide open for control

I'd have to make an account....