Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

So screwed ... There goes our Summer

Had a 2008 VLX with a Monsoon 340.  The Port side exhaust manifold cracked inside ( A common issue) and I called Bakes to order one.  Called them and asked where it was, I was told they are backed up over a month on those!  UGH!  I saw someone had a couple on eBay.  Guy said he picked them up a boat shop that closed.   I told him he needed to psi test them because they were probably pulled off a boat.  I saw he took them both off.  Must have PSI checked them.  Now I'm stuck on the side line.  If anyone has a port side let me know.  Has the green cat sticker on the side. 

12 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

No way to JB Weld that thing back together well enough to limp along til the new one arrives?

agree at this point why not take to local exhaust or machine shop and see if you can get someone with some welding know-how to put a bandaid on for you?

• Like 2

It is absolutely impossible to weld.  It's deep inside the manifold, where not only can you not see it but you can't get far enough in to feel it.

Somebody has to have one laying around.  I'd start cold calling the bigger dealers in the U.S. and asking around.  Tedious but worth it if you stumble across one. 

if you knew where the crack was you could grind it out from the backside and weld it back up.........dont know what kind of pressure an exhaust manifold holds but shouldn't be that much.

33 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

if you knew where the crack was you could grind it out from the backside and weld it back up.........dont know what kind of pressure an exhaust manifold holds but shouldn't be that much.

My boat would stall off throttle.  Missing under acceleration.  Service engine warnings, along with a bunch of warning.  water in oil.  Took manifold off and psi tested.  Water came out of 6/8

This may be a dumb, dumb, dumb suggestion, but, couldn't you just get a "traditional" exhaust manifold for a 350 and "traditional" riser?  those have to be available at all times everywhere, right?

I'll show myself out if that's a dumb idea

no cats, sorry...see that was a dumb idea

Edited by 85 Barefoot
8 minutes ago, Imracin68j said:

I'm kind of worried about this as it seems to be a common problem with these boats.

Did your Canadian connection work out ?

15 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

My boat would stall off throttle.  Missing under acceleration.  Service engine warnings, along with a bunch of warning.  water in oil.  Took manifold off and psi tested.  Water came out of 6/8

what pressure did you test it to? could you use some of that "Block repair fiber" stuff to get you thru the season? rig something up on just the manifold to cycle it thru for 20 mins.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  So I had a crack in the port manifold.  I replaced it, excited about going out today.  The boat was cutting out really hard under throttle.  At idle it sounds normal.  Do I have to remove the entire floor board to get to the fuel pump?  Anything else I can check before I take apart the boat? Do things get caught in the fuel pump?

Edited by Imracin68j