Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What rules to give friends on the boat?

Josh7711

5 hours ago, kylesullens said:

Related to giving instructions while docking:

There are several public parks with docks on our lake and we use them all to tie up briefly while using the restroom, meeting other members of our party, etc.  There is always that dude on the dock that is compelled to help me dock the boat.  I get that people want to be helpful - I do the same thing by asking "need a hand"?  The serial-dock-assistant will grab the gunnel or tower to "help" which screws up my angle when trying to swing the stern in.  Really goes down hill when he starts giving me advice: "its shallow here, be sure to raise your drive" or "use reverse to swing your back end over to the left", or some other pearl of wisdom.   I usually tell him "I appreciate the help, but I have a strategy that works for me.  Please step back".  Then he gets pissed....

With my luck, the good samaritan will end up getting pulled into the drink, or worse getting a hand or foot caught between the dock and the rub rail.

Last weekend was a particularly busy weekend.  Most of the docks were full of guys fishing/drinking/wrenching on their seadoos.  During one docking session, I had 5 guys on the dock "helping".  This adds to the number of things I have to pay attention to which raises my stress level.

I have a friend who is often giving me advice on how to drive, dock, surf, fill ballast, use wedge, pull up riders, return for riders, etc. Usually every time his advice is opposite of what I do. I think he does it on purpose because he no longer has a boat, but it is extremely annoying and we rarely invite them anymore. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Speaking of gas money.  I have a buddy that had a bigger fishing boat on Lake Michigan.  We would do a lot of trolling out there.  He had this sign on his boat.  I have not accepted gas money and don't expect people to give me any.  Although I did find his sign funny and true.

image.png.f3c73944856bdd6f6316e992d6790b46.png

I don't like to accept money either, but most of my crew understands that if they wakeboard, surf or whatever that they should pitch in. Although I own a 2019 25 lsv, I still really don't have enough money to fill up an 84 gallon tank nearly every week (roughly 60 gallons) during the summer.

Edited by bbattiste247
19 hours ago, daylorb said:

I don't think I've seen anyone post no-smoking on the boat yet?  I put a couple of small decals in two places on two separate instances had someone start smoking.  In one instance, ash blew off and instantly stained white vinyl.

It would be a rule if I knew anyone who smoked.  Only folks I ever see smoking any more are guys from India. 

And footers feet after a long run, but they get extinguished before getting on the platform :biggrin:

Some really good points brought up as my boating is done with a small and very experienced group 99% of the time so reading a few of the posts that discuss rookies in the boat is educational to remember to tell them not to 'help' themselves to get injured (hands outside the boat...).

And speaking of that, have been with a newish boater and had to remind him to cut the throttle before the rope goes tight as I am getting ready to ski.  The reason I note this, a friend lost his finger when a rope was around it as the driver pulled forward.  Shortline skiers will be more at risk as a new driver does not realize how short that rope actually is and newby skier/riders won't be aware if they are tangled or the potential force of the tangled rope.

• Like 3

My Wife's Rules

1. No Whining, Complaining, Bad Attitude, etc or GTFO
    1. Basically have fun or stay home.
  2. No messy foods
  3. No staining drinks (red wine, cranberry juice, etc)
  4. Sunscreen gets applied at the dock or on the swim platform only
  • Like 3
52 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Even experienced boaters can need a reminder. Over the holiday weekend we were anchored with a group of friends, all experienced and had prop anchors, lines, fenders out and a “rouge” wave (I say it that way because I didn’t see the boat that went by) that really sent our boats for a ride. I was in the water and my wife and friend were on my boat. Both of them when to hold the boats, there was nothing they could have done and I was yelling at them to stop, just let the boats hit. Sounds crazy right? My friend looked at me like I was out of my mind. I said to him, Well I can repair gel coat and fiberglass fairly easily and cheap. Really hard to put a new arm on you.

We've used Fenders, Exile Balls and now Wetsounds Balls. Fenders and the Exile balls were nerve wracking with "Rogue" waves when tied up. The New Wetsounds Balls are much bigger (I think they are Babz balls) and they really keep the boats apart when a big roller comes by. I gave my Exile balls to a pontoon guy...

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
29 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

We've used Fenders, Exile Balls and now Wetsounds Balls. Fenders and the Exile balls were nerve wracking with "Rogue" waves when tied up. The New Wetsounds Balls are much bigger (I think they are Babz balls) and they really keep the boats apart when a big roller comes by. I gave my Exile balls to a pontoon guy...

The boats never touched so we were good but I have looked into replacing my ten inch fenders with a bumper ball style. Just haven’t yet.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, kylesullens said:

there is also the question if sharing the cost of fuel.  I'm sure not everyone operates this way, but if I invite you on my boat, I don't expect you to chip in for fuel.  this is what I do for fun and I am happy to share it with folks.  just as if I ask you to come over for dinner, I don't ask you to chip in for the steaks.  I can afford it and don't mind.  if you bring your roommate and his two friends, maybe a different story. 

100% agree, I love being out on the water and taking folks along.  If later on they want to buy a beer or something, its certainly appreciated, but not expected at all.  Some people just get weird about it, they want to make sure that everything is equitable, usually the same people who want to figure out exactly how much each person owes if a check gets split.  Relax, it isn't critical! 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, UWSkier said:

That saying has been around on T-shirts and stuff for ages.  Got real popular when gas was 4 bucks a gallon a while back.

We have an understanding in our slalom crew.  If your boat is pulling, each skier chips in a bit at the end of the day, unless your boat is next in the rotation.

I  can see that with a regular crew. Our "regular" crew is family. If I was surfing with a couple guys all the time, I would prolly do the same as you.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Just gotta be sure your balls are clean so they don't scratch your boat.  Ended up with some marks I needed to wet-sand out of our '01 due to dirty balls once at a tie up.  Guess the guy lets his double as beach toys for his kids and he didn't get all the sand off them.  :lame:

6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The boats never touched so we were good but I have looked into replacing my ten inch fenders with a bumper ball style. Just haven’t yet.

I have 2 of these on the boat.  They take up space, but if you are tying up to other boats, they make life easy.  I hang one from the rear cleat and one from the tower rack, then tie the boats together.

https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-happy-hour-boat-bumper.html

we have relaxed a lot since I wrote these ten years ago, but they aren't a bad start.  LOL I've definitely relaxed about #7, and changed my mind completely about #14 (you are done when I say you're done).  And I even had a beer on the boat one time this year.

1.    must bring good attitude and have fun!

2.    no alcohol

3.    no messy food (chocolate, cheetos, doritos, fruit punch... you get the idea)

4.    no shoes

5.    kids have to wear life vests -- it's the law (we have a few for 50lb+ kids... only one vest for kids under 50lbs, so bring your own if you have one)

6.    no roughhousing in the boat

7.    must get in the water and try something (surf, ski, wakeboard, etc) -- pregnant ladies and small children excluded -- tubing doesn't count!

8.    no whining

9.    be prepared to jump in the lake to pee (or hold it... there generally aren't any bathrooms)

10.  towing the tube comes last (otherwise the kids won't want to do anything else... plus it ruins the smooth water)

11.  once you are in the boat no going back to shore (so if you forgot something too bad!  And seeing as all you brought are lunch and flip flops, what could you have forgotten anyway?)

12.  pack light -- there isn't a lot of room in the boat and you really aren't going to need much more than lunch and a towel (and maybe a vest).

13.  We may holler some directions at you while we are underway.  It's much smoother if everyone is helping out, but we realize you might not know what to do (hence the hollerin').  So be ready to learn a few new tricks!

14.  Don't worry about hogging a turn... if you are in the water with the handle in your hand, stay there till you want to get back in the boat.  We're stoked when people are having a good time.

Stuff you should bring

lunch

water/drinks

sunscreen

chapstick

towels (but we have lots)

sunglasses

hats

camera (but remember it might get wet)

flip flops (so you can take them off when getting in the boat)

ziplock bag to prevent stuff from getting wet

Stuff you shouldn't bring

purse

cooler (we have one in the boat if you need to keep something cold)

toys

electronic devices

stuff you don't want to get wet

stuff that you will mind holding on your lap all day (there really isn't much storage room at all, beyond room for your lunch and your towel)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I went to buy Wetsound Balls but they said they don't make them anymore. What's the difference between the 24" wetsound balls and a basic 24" babz buoy ball?  Should i bee looking for one that deflates since they're so big? Thank you! (I'm new to boat ownership, any help would be appreciated. i definitely want to take care of my boat when tied up)

32 minutes ago, Josh7711 said:

I went to buy Wetsound Balls but they said they don't make them anymore. What's the difference between the 24" wetsound balls and a basic 24" babz buoy ball?  Should i bee looking for one that deflates since they're so big? Thank you! (I'm new to boat ownership, any help would be appreciated. i definitely want to take care of my boat when tied up)

Difference is the logo. Babz has the same thing. 

5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

we have relaxed a lot since I wrote these ten years ago, but they aren't a bad start.  LOL I've definitely relaxed about #7, and changed my mind completely about #14 (you are done when I say you're done).  And I even had a beer on the boat one time this year.

7.    must get in the water and try something (surf, ski, wakeboard, etc) -- pregnant ladies and small children excluded -- tubing doesn't count!

10.  towing the tube comes last (otherwise the kids won't want to do anything else... plus it ruins the smooth water)

14.  Don't worry about hogging a turn... if you are in the water with the handle in your hand, stay there till you want to get back in the boat.  We're stoked when people are having a good time.

I used to think #7 was important, but now I don't at all. The less people learning something they aren't really that interested in doing, means more time for those that want to do it. Not to mention I have a couple friends that truly enjoy just watching. That is all they want to do and it works out fine.

#10 I care less about how and when tubing occurs now. Here's an example of why... I had 6 kids at the cottage last weekend all 8 and under. Only 2 (mine) are proficient in riding the ZUP board, the others can ride the inflatable ski trainer. Both the zup and ski trainer means one kid goes at a time. So, instead of spending several hours rotating through everyone, I simply grab the 3 person tube and now we have 2 kinds of rides... crazy and chill. Since the kids are small 4 can ride at once. 40 minutes later everyone is smiling and begging for a 4th ride while we idle into the dock. The kids had a blast....they are content to go swimming now and it's only 10:30am which means there is still a solid 1.5 hours for the big kids to go wakeboarding before the boat traffic picks up :) win-win

#14 Ya, this is a bad idea. I have had people that want to try to get up 20 times in a row if I let them. If you don't get it after about 6 tries, come in the boat and watch someone else go and review instructions. I have no issues telling people their turn is up. Not to mention kids! I'm off on Mondays and spend the day with my kids on the water. I love it because its really the only time where I can really just let them ride as long as they want.

Here is a fun one from the tubing adventure Sunday morning...

IMG_3033.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm with you guys @Raimie and @shawndoggy.  There's a part of yourself that you have to step away from, that coaching and success driven part, and you have to embrace the part of you that studies the contentment/happiness of the individual and crew as a whole, for the day.  In the end, what difference does it make, it's about enjoying the experience.  I learned that lesson when my middle son at age 17 confessed to me that he'd put himself into a painful face plant to be done for the day so I'd stop coaching him thru tricks.  I felt like such a clueless moron, replaying in my mind all of those face plants, when I thought I was being a good dad.  I'll take my teenagers tubing all day now if that's what they want to do!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

I'm with you guys @Raimie and @shawndoggy.  There's a part of yourself that you have to step away from, that coaching and success driven part, and you have to embrace the part of you that studies the contentment/happiness of the individual and crew as a whole, for the day.  In the end, what difference does it make, it's about enjoying the experience.  I learned that lesson when my middle son at age 17 confessed to me that he'd put himself into a painful face plant to be done for the day so I'd stop coaching him thru tricks.  I felt like such a clueless moron, replaying in my mind all of those face plants, when I thought I was being a good dad.  I'll take my teenagers tubing all day now if that's what they want to do!

And @Michigan boarder I remember a time when you commented that the kids didn't want to go out on the boat. Sounds to me like, as you have relaxed, they are making a full circle. Aren't you are now looking to by a bigger boat?   Sounds like a Win, Win to me:biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

And @Michigan boarder I remember a time when you commented that the kids didn't want to go out on the boat. Sounds to me like, as you have relaxed, they are making a full circle. Aren't you are now looking to by a bigger boat?   Sounds like a Win, Win to me:biggrin:

Totally.  We have activities that compete with boat time and the're like "but when are we going to get a chance to boat then?"

On 7/17/2019 at 9:41 AM, MustGoFast said:

My Wife's Rules

1. No Whining, Complaining, Bad Attitude, etc or GTFO
    1. Basically have fun or stay home.
  2. No messy foods
  3. No staining drinks (red wine, cranberry juice, etc)
  4. Sunscreen gets applied at the dock or on the swim platform only

We have spilt tons of wines but the, A1 sauce and BBQ, ketchup, mustard about every weekend .. haha .. no stains , just pour few cups of water on it to dillute, ppl would be shocked how resilient the carpet and viny is, not sure how teak foam compares .. anyone? 

20190713_163035.jpg

On 7/18/2019 at 11:54 AM, The Hulk said:

We have spilt tons of wines but the, A1 sauce and BBQ, ketchup, mustard about every weekend .. haha .. no stains , just pour few cups of water on it to dillute, ppl would be shocked how resilient the carpet and viny is, not sure how teak foam compares .. anyone? 

20190713_163035.jpg

We've got sea deck and everything cleans nice we just don't want to do any "heavy cleanup" after our guests.

• Like 3