Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gen II Surf Bimini - Boards

eubanks

How do you guys get your boards strapped/unstrapped from the bimini each time?  I have to be doing something wrong as I have to stand on the gunnel between the windshield and the tower to be able to reach the straps.  I can't reach them from the front or the rear of the boat.  But I've almost died several times climbing up there in the parking lot or on the lake when we hit some rollers.  Thanks!

Interested to hear responses to this.  I have the same issue........However, with the little challenge this poses, I welcome the storage in the bimini.  I'm going to add gator step to the top deck in the spring.  I have little time with a new house purchase and move consolidating 2 houses right now to do much other than use the boat when I have time. 

I do it the same way as you.  I must have climbed around the boat a dozen times trying to find a better way but no luck.  I was so excited to have this option on our new boat but it's such a pain that we only throw things up there that aren't regularly used.  We have a trip next week with another family so we'll have 4-5 surf boards, wakeboard, wakeskate and Zup and i'm dreading having to shuffle things around.

My Bimini is different but I find the best way to do it (if you have a bag for your surfboard) is to strap the bag to the bimni.  My bag will not fully close with the fins on my board but it closes enough to keep it in there.  Then it's just a matter of unzipping the back a bit and pulling the board out.  It also has the benefit of no direct sunlight on my board.  I run the bimini straps through the bag handle so there is almost no chance of it ever flying off.

8 minutes ago, vanamp said:

My Bimini is different but I find the best way to do it (if you have a bag for your surfboard) is to strap the bag to the bimni.  My bag will not fully close with the fins on my board but it closes enough to keep it in there.  Then it's just a matter of unzipping the back a bit and pulling the board out.  It also has the benefit of no direct sunlight on my board.  I run the bimini straps through the bag handle so there is almost no chance of it ever flying off.

Interesting thought.  I only keep my Phase 5 in a bag, but the zipper is built in a way that I think I would have to still climb up on the side of the boat.

I can sometimes slide the big boards out the front, but I'm still climbing up on top of the deck in front of the windshield.  And it's hard to slide them back in that way.  I am going to put Seadek on that area of the top deck between the windshield and the tower, but it's still awkward to get up there.  You either have to climb up that narrow area, or step from the back over the board racks which isn't easy if they have boards.  I desperately need another set of racks, but I'm not feeling the $4,000 for the matching PTM's.

I typically only put my older boards up there. An old Tsunami and a Broadcast that I use for beginners. I also have  a Time Machine that I will put up there once in a while. I simply leave the straps loose enough to slide the boards in and out from the back. I haven't lost one yet. 

I will report back on the wear on the bimini in a few years. I haven't noticed any issues yet.

I leave the front straps on the Bimini loosish so you can slide the board under without undoing the buckle, then only tighten (undo and do up) the rear buckle that you can reach easily.

ahopkins22LSV

I have never undone the straps on mine after I set them originally.. Just slide the boards in from the rear sunpad. Might have to stand on the sides with a bigger boat.. Now, I don't have super fragile boards so that may change if I ever upgrade boards.

• Like 2