Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I can't get my Nuts off!!!

Topic Title notwithstanding, this appears to be a serious problem. The space around the packing box on my VLX is so cramped with pumps, hoses, wires, and a giant engine on top of it that access to it is near impossible.

My friend Bob the contorsionist and I tried for almost an hour to get the locking nut loosened but were unsuccessful. I can get a hand in there and even a wrench or two but getting it lined up 90 degrees on the nut is touch with all the other stuff in the way. Then, trying to get one wrench on each nut and twist them apart appears to be a herculean effort.

Has anybody else here tighened the packing on a VLX? Are there any special tools you need to use. How for the love of god am I supposed to loosen the locking nut?

Since I know someone else is going to do it Im going to beat you to the punch and quote my own post:

get one wrench on each nut and twist them apart

ROFL.gifSurprised.gif:lol:Yahoo.gif:lol:Surprised.gifROFL.gif

I am eagerly awaiting the reply on this, since I'd like to get my nuts tweaked too... are you sure you were twisting the right way?.. it might be a backwards thread or something (I duno...)

I am eagerly awaiting the reply on this, since I'd like to get my nuts tweaked too... are you sure you were twisting the right way?.. it might be a backwards thread or something (I duno...)

Thanks for the moral support. IIRC, From the front of the boat facing back we were trying to twist the little lock nut clockwise while twisting the big nut counter-clockwise. somebody please tell me I am retarded and let me know the right thing to do if this was incorrect.

Righty tighty....lefty loosey.. Yea, thats the right direction. I hear ya, its tight in there. Try loosening the small one and keepin the big one stationary. Maybe vise grip on the big and one of those $9 adjustable ones from H. Depot on the small one.

For what its worth, when you get it loose, just tighten back just a little more than hand tight.

You're turning the nuts in the correct directions. You should be doing this adjustment out on the water. I run the boat at 25 MPH for a min. then shut it down, then look at the drip rate. Are you using two of these?

Edited by Pistol Pete

If it is that tight, would a "crow foot" work? Do we know what size it is, 2 1/4", 2 1/2".... I can ask my neighbor, he is a Snap-On guy.

Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered two of those wrenches cause they look like they will fit better than what I have been using. I'll give it another try when they get here.

Put on life vest and possible a flack-jack if available, then attach a big ol' pipe wrench on the lock nut. Start engine and put in reverse. Duck. The lock nut will now be loose.

Put on life vest and possible a flack-jack if available, then attach a big ol' pipe wrench on the lock nut.  Start engine and put in reverse.  Duck.  The lock nut will now be loose.

AAhhhhh.......... I don't think the nut turns with the shaft :Doh:

Thanks for all the info guys.  I ordered two of those wrenches cause they look like they will fit better than what I have been using.  I'll give it another try when they get here.

What wrenches did you order two of, the Snap-On's? :lol:

I ordered two of these like pistol pete suggested. They look like they will fit better into the cramped space than the longer wrenches I was using:

pACE2-964909reg.jpg

These are the exact 2 wrenches I carry in my tool box on board. They open up plenty big enough for both nuts. It's still gonna be tough to break the nuts loose.

In our friends Super Air, we were able to use one of those and a pair a channel locks. Still was a knuckle buster. His was tight also.