Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive locked up

I had an unfortunate accident and ran onto the ground 2 weeks ago on my 2005 Wakesetter.  There appeared to be only damage to the prop and minimal damage to the underside of the hull.  I replaced the prop and took for test run.  Everything seemed to be ok until about 15 minutes into the ride when the boat came to an abrupt stop.  I don't recall hearing any loud noise, but there could have been. The boat started back up, but shut off when putting into gear.  When I looked into the bottom of the hull, there was oil.  Initially, I couldn't tell exactly where it came from, but after checking the v-drive fluid level, it was empty. I had to be towed home.  Still, the engine starts and shuts off when attempting to engage into gear. I am assuming that something (maybe the u-joint) locked up and cracked the casing, letting the oil out, but I haven't confirmed this.  I don't believe the oil leaked out first, causing it to lock up, but I am not sure of this either.  Either way, it appears that I now need to replace the v-drive.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  Does anyone have a good Walter V-Drive 1-46-1 gear ratio for sale at a reasonable price?      

1 hour ago, jclsml said:

I had an unfortunate accident and ran onto the ground 2 weeks ago on my 2005 Wakesetter.  There appeared to be only damage to the prop and minimal damage to the underside of the hull.  I replaced the prop and took for test run.  Everything seemed to be ok until about 15 minutes into the ride when the boat came to an abrupt stop.  I don't recall hearing any loud noise, but there could have been. The boat started back up, but shut off when putting into gear.  When I looked into the bottom of the hull, there was oil.  Initially, I couldn't tell exactly where it came from, but after checking the v-drive fluid level, it was empty. I had to be towed home.  Still, the engine starts and shuts off when attempting to engage into gear. I am assuming that something (maybe the u-joint) locked up and cracked the casing, letting the oil out, but I haven't confirmed this.  I don't believe the oil leaked out first, causing it to lock up, but I am not sure of this either.  Either way, it appears that I now need to replace the v-drive.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  Does anyone have a good Walter V-Drive 1-46-1 gear ratio for sale at a reasonable price?      

Call the manufacturer.  I know someone who had to replace the v-drive it is was much cheaper to source it through them than anywhere else.

Waltergear has replacements for $2630 and I have found a couple of used one's for a little less.  I feel like the new one is the way to go.