Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wave ballast setup 23lsv.

ahopkins22LSV

Which video are you referring to?

For the 23 LSV is definitely full all stick hard tank and 75-100% of the plug and play bags. No bow ballast will definitely make the wave very steep and short. 

21 hours ago, Stevo said:

23 loves bow weight.

fake news on no bow ballast

Not sure I 100% agree.  40 hours on our new 23lsv and for me the sweet spot is about 50% bow, 75% center, 75% rear (including pnP bags).  cant imagine not having any weight in the front though.  Also worth considering who is riding and the wave that will work for them.  When my 9 year old is back there, I add more weight to the front for a bit longer wave, same with anyone learning.  When its my turn though I want a steeper wave for carving around and popping off of.  Play with it to see what you like, that's one of the fun things about so many options.  One thing I recommend though is to take photos of the waves and settings.  It helped me to get a better read on the differing waves.

• Thanks 2

FWIW I find that I set up the weight the same for every rider and use speed and wedge to adjust the height and length

kids are 9 / 12 , we have Both goofy and regular riders. I want to say I’m in lift mode for my daughter, at 11.2-11.4 .

I realize I am interjecting on a 23 topic with my 25, but I used the same philosophy on my 23

D13B4632-5CA8-4D93-8F1A-CE959DD77C33.jpeg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Stevo said:

FWIW I find that I set up the weight the same for every rider and use speed and wedge to adjust the height and length

kids are 9 / 12 , we have Both goofy and regular riders. I want to say I’m in lift mode for my daughter, at 11.2-11.4 .

I realize I am interjecting on a 23 topic with my 25, but I used the same philosophy on my 23

This is what I do on the 23 as well. My son just went ropeless at 7 years old but I was running him all full just no wedge. 

• Like 2

We run all factory and PnP ballast full and adjust rear weight as needed depending on crew size. We always have center and bow full. We use the wedge to adjust the height of the wave. We always want a long wave, therefore the always full center and bow.

Per the advice of others we set our 19 23LSV up with the following:

All tanks 100% + 550PNP full.

Wedge @ ramp (but sometimes Ramp -1 or -2 depending on what board we are riding.)

11.1 mph

No additional ballast or led

These photos are just two people on the boat, the photos of me mean it was just my wife and sister (both only about 110-120#’s)

Wave is awesome and so much fun. These photos were taken from my go pro which was mounted right next to the cup holder on the transom.

E7180970-AEAE-483C-855A-293F8AF5DC48.thumb.jpeg.b167b09cfd2239774bb1af58f0396032.jpeg

BA088A47-8D03-4A87-8CE5-393F77BC6CE5.thumb.jpeg.d8253694bf2f530f88ac4f38c1d86520.jpeg

C6003552-0B03-42EB-8584-259CE8B8C63D.thumb.jpeg.6d0eeddc6d2e96e839038b06606fd2ce.jpeg

15311E60-8EED-4D1E-ADE2-7F1F3C92070C.thumb.jpeg.b56ec71d3096a6cf653f0eaaec39af8e.jpeg

78BAC923-0952-4141-94EE-1FFFB7982C91.thumb.jpeg.b8698bb3f8d9e248c76726729a32e022.jpeg

E3018617-73E7-44BB-9D10-F79B018A83A7.thumb.jpeg.aec74f1331f6cb2a264603b1ca5e4712.jpeg

• Like 1

I run 100% all around, including PnP 550, but drop the rear, non-surf to 75%.  ~800 in a bow triangle or some human ballast (I'll also throw 400 in the walkway if it's just 3 or 4 of us).  Wedge at vert or 1-2 clicks down depending on if the rider wants it tall or mellow.  9.8 for regular, 10.3 for goofy.

I'd love to find a way to get an equivalent wave with less weight, but I can't seem to make it happen.  If I don't have a couple bodies in the front or the triangle the bow rides way high and submerges the gates causing spray and wash at the top of the wave... Can't imagine having nothing in the bow tank.

received_897900730568995.jpeg

received_2307849739457032.jpeg

5 minutes ago, ajive said:

I run 100% all around, including PnP 550, but drop the rear, non-surf to 75%.  ~800 in a bow triangle or some human ballast (I'll also throw 400 in the walkway if it's just 3 or 4 of us).  Wedge at vert or 1-2 clicks down depending on if the rider wants it tall or mellow.  9.8 for regular, 10.3 for goofy.

I'd love to find a way to get an equivalent wave with less weight, but I can't seem to make it happen.  If I don't have a couple bodies in the front or the triangle the bow rides way high and submerges the gates causing spray and wash at the top of the wave... Can't imagine having nothing in the bow tank.

received_897900730568995.jpeg

received_2307849739457032.jpeg

If you drop some more from the rears, and speed up to 11-11.2, you should be able to get a really good wave without dunking the surfgates. The older Malibu’s often ran best in the 9.6-10ish speed range but the newer boats need 11ish to do their thing.

Or you could use less wedge and run more ballast in the rear, like gregtay’s post above. Either way gets you to a similar weight in the transom area, with the extra ballast being most efficient.

17 minutes ago, ajive said:

Yep, I find that the bow rides very high without weight if you use that much wedge and go that slow.  @ 11.1 and the wedge around ramp to Ramp +1 or Ramp +2 then all is good without additional weight.  What RPMs are you running with your setup?

3600 ish, so I'm guzzling some gas!  I find that if I start encroaching on 11mph the wave gets super long, but also super short, especially on the regular side.  Almost unrideable for my novice crew.

I'll bump the wedge down on my side (goofy) and push the speed up some so I can get extra turns, but I like a nice tall face to cut off of.

I have a couple days at the lake this weekend, I'll play with higher speeds and less wedge and see what else I can make.  I guess I've just been chasing the tallest wave over the past year since I got the LSV.

Edited by ajive
5 hours ago, gregtay said:

Yep, I find that the bow rides very high without weight if you use that much wedge and go that slow.  @ 11.1 and the wedge around ramp to Ramp +1 or Ramp +2 then all is good without additional weight.  What RPMs are you running with your setup?

Here are a few more photos of my wave for comparison.  I have no doubt that the 23LSV can toss a bigger wave if you start adding more bags and led but what you see below is the stock wave (using the config NWBU posted a few months ago.)  The photos of my wife surfing (she is 5'8") had only two people in the boat, myself (165#s) and my sister (maybe 110# wet.)  No additional weight.  For me this delivers on exactly what I wanted out of this new boat... hit a button and go surf with a great wave.  I was pretty frustrated for the 1st month I had the boat as I kept dialing up 10.3mph speed (because the default surf config is set at that speed so I took that to mean something.. silly me!)  But I finally took NWBU's config to the lake and magic happened :)  Wave is fantastic, lots of push, you can surf pretty far back without falling off, and plenty of height.

EDIT: One additional note... the camera is placed on the transom almost level with the rear sundeck (so this isn't some trick shot with the camera down on the swim platform which can make any wave look huge.)  You can see the gopro mount in the shot I took of the boat while riding. The camera mounts on top of what you see (little black thing, look by the rear cupholder) so the top of the camera ends up being about level with the sundeck (I can see the camera from the drivers seat)

20190730_152039690_iOS.thumb.jpg.5ac744a96d3cb42934a23ebd8f5f61f0.jpg

20190730_152109217_iOS.thumb.jpg.3969ec536afde5f5b14cb239a8840af6.jpg

20190725_042719807_iOS.thumb.jpg.a38db922715078ab43f7934edefaaf43.jpg

Capture.thumb.JPG.f51486792fc8900041d56b1369af2ccc.JPG

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, gregtay said:

Here are a few more photos of my wave for comparison.  I have no doubt that the 23LSV can toss a bigger wave if you start adding more bags and led but what you see below is the stock wave (using the config NWBU posted a few months ago.)  The photos of my wife surfing (she is 5'8") had only two people in the boat, myself (165#s) and my sister (maybe 110# wet.)  No additional weight.  For me this delivers on exactly what I wanted out of this new boat... hit a button and go surf with a great wave.  I was pretty frustrated for the 1st month I had the boat as I kept dialing up 10.3mph speed (because the default surf config is set at that speed so I took that to mean something.. silly me!)  But I finally took NWBU's config to the lake and magic happened :)  Wave is fantastic, lots of push, you can surf pretty far back without falling off, and plenty of height.

That looks awesome.  Especially stock weight.  There are definitely days that I would prefer to just leave the bags in the locker.  11.1, that's my next attempt.  And here I was thinking I was all dialed in and done experimenting!

BTW, that water is beautiful.  I'm on the east side; the Columbia river isn't anything to scoff at as far as water clarity... but that deep blue is gorgeous.  I need to come over there just to get the pictures!

9 minutes ago, ajive said:

That looks awesome.  Especially stock weight.  There are definitely days that I would prefer to just leave the bags in the locker.  11.1, that's my next attempt.  And here I was thinking I was all dialed in and done experimenting!

BTW, that water is beautiful.  I'm on the east side; the Columbia river isn't anything to scoff at as far as water clarity... but that deep blue is gorgeous.  I need to come over there just to get the pictures!

A little list will still help your regular wave steepen up so try leaving that non-surf side rear at 25% less than the surf side during at least one of your runs. 

37 minutes ago, ajive said:

That was lake Chelan last week... so that water does flow your way 😁. @Chappy is over there this week and I am jealous that he is out on that water while I am back at work on the other side of the mountains. We will be on the river (Entiat) in early Sept.. about the only time of year it is warm enough for my wife! But yes, Chelan water is something special... cold, but still warmer than the river up this far. You should certainly find time to go to Chelan... a Chappy even has a nice place there you can rent. 

19 minutes ago, gregtay said:

That was lake Chelan last week... so that water does flow your way 😁. @Chappy is over there this week and I am jealous that he is out on that water while I am back at work on the other side of the mountains. We will be on the river (Entiat) in early Sept.. about the only time of year it is warm enough for my wife! But yes, Chelan water is something special... cold, but still warmer than the river up this far. You should certainly find time to go to Chelan... a Chappy even has a nice place there you can rent. 

Thanks for the shout out!

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

@ajive

Is your wedge anywhere near what @gregtay posted in his pictures? If I'm reading this correctly, you're running a lot more wedge and could be some of your problem.

I'm at two clicks from vert on goofy and probably on vert for regular.  Everyone on my boat, including me, prefers a tall, steep face.  

I ride goofy and am probably the surfer most able to deal with any kind of wave and I regularly play with wedge position.  By the time my legs are tired or I'm ready to fail my 360 attempt for the 2000th time I'll usually be down in the range of @gregtay but when I'm feeling it I keep the wedge high.

All that said, we run 1.5 mph slower than what is being recommend here and I've really not gone over 10.8 (which is fine on goofy, but pretty weak on regular even with extra bow weight).  However @gregtay 's pics do not seem any shorter on the regular side than my pic, so I'm very curious what I can do with less weight now.  Would love to turn down the RPMs a couple hundred and save some noise and gas!

3 minutes ago, ajive said:

I'm at two clicks from vert on goofy and probably on vert for regular.  Everyone on my boat, including me, prefers a tall, steep face.  

I ride goofy and am probably the surfer most able to deal with any kind of wave and I regularly play with wedge position.  By the time my legs are tired or I'm ready to fail my 360 attempt for the 2000th time I'll usually be down in the range of @gregtay but when I'm feeling it I keep the wedge high.

All that said, we run 1.5 mph slower than what is being recommend here and I've really not gone over 10.8 (which is fine on goofy, but pretty weak on regular even with extra bow weight).  However @gregtay 's pics do not seem any shorter on the regular side than my pic, so I'm very curious what I can do with less weight now.  Would love to turn down the RPMs a couple hundred and save some noise and gas!

I should add that my boat has the M6 turning a 2277. So RPMs might not match with the same config.

One other caveat, I'm on a pretty fast flowing river (2-3mph).  I obviously use a paddle wheel, but not sure how that affects this discussion when compared to still water.  I know down vs up makes a difference, with up building a larger wave and down providing some additional firmness to a shorter wave.

I should have a session Thursday to play on the river then a couple days on a still water lake to incorporate all these suggestions.

4 minutes ago, ajive said:

So @1107, I totally hijacked your thread today, but hopefully this discussion helps you out as well 😁

Good stuff here though. My boat partner is heading out to your area August 6-12, so you might see it on the river.

Speaking of @1107, let's see some of your Oshkosh pics. Maybe start a separate off-topic thread?