Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

AXIS vs MALIBU

crazycat75

Hi All,

I need some input/feedback.  I am ready to pull the trigger on a boat.  Here are the two I am looking at.  I have never owned a Malibu product.  I am coming from a MB 21 tomcat.

we will be using this boat mainly for surfing and hanging out.

2018 Malibu 22 VLX.  Brand new.  No plug in play, No tower speakers, No sub/amp.  No surfpipe.

2019 AXIS T22.  Loaded, pretty much comes with every option.  (even a power wedge)  The only thing basic is the trailer.

The Malibu is 3k More.

What is everyone's thoughts?  

Excited to become part of the family!

what's your storage situation..... will you be folding the tower a lot?  LOL that was never a concern on my prior boats, but with my current one I need to fold every time, and the T22 tower gets heavy AF with tower speakers and four racks on it.

I say 22VLX all day.  I may be biased, however.  That is a tough decision.  I was faced with a similar decision when I picked up my 22VLX this past November.  We ended up with the Malibu because we liked it better than the Axis.  From a performance perspective, I'm not sure you'll see much difference.  

ahopkins22LSV

I love axis and would most likely own one if they had a vtx type boat. I also surf a T22 all the time and it’s great. Phenomenal wave and axis definitely has the best dollar to wake/wave performance ratio out there.

One question I’d ask the dealer is though, does the VLX not have pnp plumbing or does it just not having the bags? Not having the bags is easily worked around and maybe even negotiated into the deal. 

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Wouldn’t that Malibu be a 22 LSV?

im sure it’s plumbed for plug n play but doesn’t have the bags.

No, 22 LSV was new for 2019. 22 VLX ran 2015-18. I’m sure it’s plumbed too but I’d  definitely pass if it’s not. 

Its just one more thing to have to deal with/spend money on, but yes it would not be that hard.  That said - I'd be amazed if it were not already plumbed for it.

Still curious what kind of board racks are on either one.  A VLX without those options I'm just guessing doesn't have clamping racks on it.  Between sub, amps, surfpipe, speakers, there are at least $5-6K of options there, add another $3500 for racks, and if the PNP is in fact not plumbed, a dealer is going to get you for a grand.

First world problems - but I also love the simplicity of Axis.

11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Why is everyone acting like plumbing a couple pumps with some hose and fitting is that big of a deal?  It's not.

I don't think its a big deal.  But a boat without PNP, IMO, is likely very light on the options.  Hence the request for the build sheets.

Edited by onwi
5 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Why is everyone acting like plumbing a couple pumps with some hose and fitting is that big of a deal?  It's not.

Its not hard but it does suck.  I hate boat projects tight spaces, fiberglass and parts usually are not conveniently available. 

On 7/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

No, 22 LSV was new for 2019. 22 VLX ran 2015-18. I’m sure it’s plumbed too but I’d  definitely pass if it’s not. 

Oh, I guess I got my years mixed up. Can't keep track of all the changes!