Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 24 MXZ Prop Question

Chappy

I didn't want to hijack @eubanks original post where this discussion started.  

I have a 2019 24MXZ with the 450 engine, 550 PNP and the Acme 2755 High Torque prop (17x14).  Top speed of about 35 mph and the engine does seems loud. With a standard crew of 3-4 running 11.2, full ballast and wedge at one click from max (they really need to # these positions btw) I am running about 3500-3600 rpms and everything works fine but if I have a larger crew I run into some of the same issues that @eubanks has experienced trouble getting up to speed and running out of throttle.  I will start to use the autowedge/ lift feature which I am sure will help. 

I need a spare prop any way so should I go with the Acme 2805 (17x17) which @greg2222 recommends or 3077 (17x15.5) which is the one Wakemakers recommends.  Can any of you prop pros tell me what the anticipated difference might be in performance? Anyone else running these props on a larger boat with the same engine?  

Edited by Chappy
7 hours ago, Chappy said:

I didn't want to hijack @eubanks original post where this discussion started.  

I have a 2019 24MXZ with the 450 engine, 550 PNP and the Acme 2755 High Torque prop (17x14).  Top speed of about 35 mph and the engine does seems loud. With a standard crew of 3-4 running 11.2, full ballast and wedge at one click from max (they really need to # these positions btw) I am running about 3500-3600 rpms and everything works fine but if I have a larger crew I run into some of the same issues that @eubanks has experienced trouble getting up to speed and running out of throttle.  I will start to use the autowedge/ lift feature which I am sure will help. 

I need a spare prop any way so should I go with the Acme 2805 (17x17) which @greg2222 recommends or 3077 (17x15.5) which is the one Wakemakers recommends.  Can any of you prop pros tell me what the anticipated difference might be in performance? Anyone else running these props on a larger boat with the same engine?  

The 3077 is the best for heavy surfing. Had the 2805 on my M  originally and even with the 575 engine still struggled so ended up switching to the 3077 and it way outperforms the other for surfing heavy. 

I had the 2755 on my A24. I swapped for the 3077 and would not look back. The 3077 has more cup, which helps with prop slip or efficiency, especially at surf speeds. It doesn’t carry a load to wakeboard speed quite as well at the 2755, but we are about 50/50 surfing/wakeboarding at this point. 

You probably won’t turn a 17 pitch well with that load. 

Where are you located? If nearby to Austin, TX, glad to loan mine for a spin.

I love our 3077 on our 24 mxz and just seems to be in the sweet spot for me.  I have never ran our of throttle or had any of the issues that eubanks discussed, but lift mode definitely helps when wakeboarding heavy.  We also have a top speed of around 39 mph on calm days which is more than enough.

The prop that came on my 25 is the 17 X 15.  In theory, both 450 motors are going to be very close to the same, but it would be interesting to note if one is a little better.  I have the M6, IIRC you have the PCM?  At 2700 feet and full ballast with 4-6 adults in the boat, it takes quite a while to get to 22 MPH. Not just sluggish, but we are talking 25-30 seconds.  

It is interesting that my G23 with H6 (PCM equivalent of the M6), runs a 17 X 17 and does very well.  But top speed seems to be the same, and both have 2:1 tranny.  The G might be a little heavier.  I think there is some other factors in play, and would probably derail the entire thread to discuss it.    I had a spare 17 X 16.5 for the G and still have it.  One of these days I am going to put it on my 25 and see how it does.  I expect it to lower my surf RPM's, but make it impossible to get to speed while wakeboarding with full ballast.   And it would not surprise me if it actually increased my fuel expenditure because it will be lugging the motor.