Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering wheel not adjusted properly upon purchase

I just purchased a brand new 2018 Malibu Wakesetter MLX off the showroom at my local dealer.  Boat had 8 hours on it from demo use.  I drove the boat and hit the dock twice and scraped the side. I know i'm not the best driver but it was a tight spot.  As I practiced later on the lake I noticed the steering wheel (from center/rudder in straight position) would only make 1 revolution turn to the right and 2 revolution turns to the left from center.

So that's 3 revolutions total.  1 to the right and 2 to the left.  This is my first boat so I don't know what to think.

Could the dealer be somewhat liable for selling me boat that wasn't adjusted properly from the start?

Or is it my responsibility to ensure rudder and steering wheel are adjusted properly before driving?

I'm not looking to get them to fix my scrapes for free but should they be very willing to fix this issue? Or maybe I should ask them to fix scrapes for free?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Have you verified this out of the water with the boat on the trailer?  If you have never driven a inboard before slow speed steering is a bit tricky and the direction of the prop rotation has an affect.  If you have the steering wheel straight and go in reverse you will go back and to the right due to the prop rotation. 

When on plane does it drive straight? They’re not liable for you hitting the dock. I don’t even look at the wheel when docking so not sure how it being out of alignment would matter. Come to think of it, my 03 was out of alignment after I changed the steering cable and I still never hit the dock. Slow down next time, never approach the dock faster than you are willing it hit it... 

Yes it will drive straight on plane. If I let go of the wheel, the wheel will turn right. The dealer just told me to bring it by so they can fix it.  They said it's a quick fix. I just found it odd they would let a brand new boat go off the lot misaligned. Thanks for the advice.  

Thank you for the advice! I’m definitely going to watch those videos. I’ve been trying to setup the demo with their guy over past week but he wasn’t returning my calls/texts. After I told him I emailed Malibu directly to ask about misalignment, his schedule magically opened up for demo today. They promised a demo after 5 hours on the boat and that’s where I’m at now.  I attained CA Boaters License as well but I know time on the water practicing is what I need. Thanks again for the links.

8 hours ago, Josh7711 said:

Yes it will drive straight on plane. If I let go of the wheel, the wheel will turn right. The dealer just told me to bring it by so they can fix it.  They said it's a quick fix. I just found it odd they would let a brand new boat go off the lot misaligned. Thanks for the advice.  

A boat does not drive like a car, and I'm not saying that your steering isn't adjusted properly, but it is possible that the steering will pull one way or another at different speeds or load conditions.  In fact, ski (slalom) boats are typically adjusted to always pull to the right at all speeds.  This allows the driver to react quickly to the skier's pull without having a dead zone in the rudder.

For a wakeboat, listing (uneven ballast), surfgates, and foils can all cause a different amount of pull at different speeds due to changing flow across the hull and rudder.  I know a lot of fishermen who tighten the tiller on their small outboard boats so they can let go, then stand up so they can see into the water.  They steer by leaning their weight side to side in the boat.

• Like 3