Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice on mxz models

Nacibound

Looking at buying a new(er) boat and have it pretty much narrowed down to these models. Looking for advice on items to cross off the list or elevate to the top? Any models I should add to consider?

2015 mxz 24

2014 mxz 24 - this one has the 409, is that too small for this size boat?

2014 mxz 22

2019/2020 axis a22 - willing to spend a bit more here because it's new and don't need the frills. Going to the dealer soon to price a 2020.

I'd like to keep it under 80k but I'm flexible. We primarily surf, but have a 1 year old, so that may change. I know there was some differences on the the hulls around 2014, but don't know what to look for. The 22s are plenty big for me, but for roughly the same price is it worth it to go 24 for the wake?

Thanks for your input!

What fits in your garage assuming you're going to garage keep it?  You said you primarily surf, but what else are you into on the water?  How much entertaining of other adults will you be doing?

The 2020 A22 will give you the benefit of being able to build the boat exactly how you want it.  The older MXZs give you the benefit of having the big initial depreciation out of the way already.

Honestly I'll probably have to build out my garage to get anything to fit. I know it won't as it's built now, so that's not really an issue either way. I was planning on paying for storage while I get that worked out.

We have a few people who like to wakeboard. I'm sure the kids will want to tube. We also normally go for a cruise in the evenings and have a lot of folks. I have a 96 sunsetter DD right now, so usually just 6 people during the day, but that feels tight and I usually refuse to invite more folks because of that.

I'm assuming I'll like the wake on any of those for surfing? Different powerwedge models make that big a difference or should I not worry?

Yeah, 6 pax in a DD is a lot.  You'll feel like you're in a living room in the 24 footers.  I'm sure the surf wave of any of those boats will blow your mind if you're coming from a '96 21 foot DD that you presumably sack the bejeezus out of.

Why are you set on the pickle fork boats?  What you gain in bow space you lose in much more valuable space behind the helm.  More chance of water over the bow too.  Seems like a 23LSV would be a better choice for you. 

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Why are you set on the pickle fork boats?  What you gain in bow space you lose in much more valuable space behind the helm.  More chance of water over the bow too.  Seems like a 23LSV would be a better choice for you. 

I'd be game for an lsv. I have my eye on a 2015, But it's basically the same price as a new axis. The wife wants the pickle fork, thus the push, but she isn't set.

We looked at the t23 too, but the extra size we didn't feel like we noticed. It was also a few k more. Does the bow tend to get swamped on the split?

2016 and newer gets 5 year warranty so you would still have a year or two left of coverage as opposed to a 2015 that is just out of warranty. Have you looked at used 2016+ Malibu 22 Vlx? 

ahopkins22LSV

Personally, if your budget supports a new Axis, I’d go that route. They are great boats and the wave performance is just as good as Malibu. You might be able to score a good deal on a 2019 that is still on the lot right now. Or order a 2020 to the colors and options you want is a ton of fun too!

• Like 2

is it true that  m5 is base motor, charge option or  no additional option cost?? 

Or fir 2020 Axis is it like Malibu/Axis Australia where 409 is base no charge and both m5 snd 6 are upgrade prices add ons.  FB poster down there is using Crusader base as a way to pay for other options like PW3/surfpipe   

Woukd be nice to keep his price nearer to 80 with the Crusader base if they charge fir both 5 and 6

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

is it true that  m5 is base motor, charge option or  no additional option cost?? 

Or fir 2020 Axis is it like Malibu/Axis Australia where 409 is base no charge and both m5 snd 6 are upgrade prices add ons.  FB poster down there is using Crusader base as a way to pay for other options like PW3/surfpipe   

Woukd be nice to keep his price nearer to 80 with the Crusader base if they charge fir both 5 and 6

So the m5di is no extra cost on the 2020 here in the usa. I had one quoted for me with options at just under 100 MSRP and it's a standard option. Wife likes the t23 too after sitting in it again.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Personally, if your budget supports a new Axis, I’d go that route. They are great boats and the wave performance is just as good as Malibu. You might be able to score a good deal on a 2019 that is still on the lot right now. Or order a 2020 to the colors and options you want is a ton of fun too!

That's more and more what I'm leaning towards. Is there a "best time" to order a new boat? I know when I was looking years ago there was rebates from Malibu towards the end of the year? If I ordered now id probably not be able to use it much with what's left of this year, so I don't feel rushed to order it or grab one unless it's a deal since I'll have to pay to store it this winter...

11 minutes ago, Nacibound said:

That's more and more what I'm leaning towards. Is there a "best time" to order a new boat? I know when I was looking years ago there was rebates from Malibu towards the end of the year? If I ordered now id probably not be able to use it much with what's left of this year, so I don't feel rushed to order it or grab one unless it's a deal since I'll have to pay to store it this winter...

I always tell people fall. They'll be running the factory rebates, and if you time it right, you can have it setup so that you get your ordered boat in March/April.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

2016 and newer gets 5 year warranty so you would still have a year or two left of coverage as opposed to a 2015 that is just out of warranty. Have you looked at used 2016+ Malibu 22 Vlx? 

I know my dealer will offer an extended warranty for boats.  The cost isn't terrible (cheaper than a surfgate).  If you go the used route you may be able to offset the risk with one of those.

Sit in them and youll know what you like.  For me 24 was too big as we never have more than 6.  Wife also liked the picklefork to lay out in up front while the boys surfed in the back.  If you wakeboard(heavy), PW3 and a bigger motor is a must.  If you just kinda wakeboard and mainly surf, most any motors gonna be fine and you wont "need" PW3 like you do for wakeboarding. 

22 hours ago, Nacibound said:

I'd be game for an lsv. I have my eye on a 2015, But it's basically the same price as a new axis. The wife wants the pickle fork, thus the push, but she isn't set.

We looked at the t23 too, but the extra size we didn't feel like we noticed. It was also a few k more. Does the bow tend to get swamped on the split?

I had an  A22 2015. 750s in back 950 horseshoe, 540 in walkway against bow. Never had water over the bow. We liked the pickle fork for crew size. One time we had 9 crew in the boat. It was a great boat. (with 9 crew, we didnt run the 540)

Edited by carguy79ta

Buying a boat for $80-$100 and over $100k new or used is a all family decision or you are single. In my experience families choices is pickle fork bow for entertaining kids and wife and friends to have own space to burn skin. Singles are choices more standard bow. I personally like more standard bow but I have 2 kids and wife so ... there was option boat with pickle bow or no boat.

All families I know besides one are rocking the traditional bow.  Not saying your experience is wrong but I have never seen an association of bow type associated with family type - just completely people’s personal preference (and in my case my wife is the one against the pickle fork)

• Like 2

My wife was 100 % for the traditional bow until she sat in them side by side. We literally had a 25 lsv and a 24 mxz side by side within a foot of each other and hopped back and forth in them for over an hour. The 25 lsv was actually @hethj7 boat (absolutely beautiful boat btw). I really could’ve went either way at the time and had almost decided to stay traditional, but decided that I’d just let her pick and live with the decision. She went for the pickle fork. I have to say I enjoy having the big bow much more than I thought I would and glad we went that way. We use the crap out of our bow now. Never did in our T23. We really are splitting hairs here though. Ultimately I’d just get whichever you prefer and not even give it a second thought. You seriously can not go wrong with either one of them.

• Like 3

And as much as I like the MXZ I have now, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see myself in a 25 LSV or something different next time.  My point to the OP is that I just don’t think it matters all that much. You will be happy with either. 

Look familiar @hethj7?

F00822F9-43DD-440D-B7DC-104676BA90E0.thumb.jpeg.6c6a60b9ebe01fc1829824f51b03fe86.jpegB049AD77-ACFE-4FD9-8356-554EA3AC7275.thumb.jpeg.7ccfaec816c7f85f2154d2a78beb7b1c.jpeg

• Like 4
On 7/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, 05hammerhead said:

Sit in them and youll know what you like.  For me 24 was too big as we never have more than 6.  Wife also liked the picklefork to lay out in up front while the boys surfed in the back.  If you wakeboard(heavy), PW3 and a bigger motor is a must.  If you just kinda wakeboard and mainly surf, most any motors gonna be fine and you wont "need" PW3 like you do for wakeboarding. 

But pw3 also adjusts the wave for surfing as well

Agreed, we use the wedge a lot when surfing.   For instance, I ride in a more vert setting usually but move it towards ramp when working on transfers as the port side wave already has a ton of push and I want to mellow it out as I hop over there.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 8:36 AM, granddaddy55 said:

But pw3 also adjusts the wave for surfing as well

On 7/13/2019 at 9:37 AM, hethj7 said:

Agreed, we use the wedge a lot when surfing.   For instance, I ride in a more vert setting usually but move it towards ramp when working on transfers as the port side wave already has a ton of push and I want to mellow it out as I hop over there.  

Agreed, on the wedge portion, but I was more meaning PW2 would be just as good. PW3 is a huge upgrade for use of lift mode for wakeboarding.