Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04' Monsoon bogs and spits after running great for 20 min

I had the Wakesetter out last week. Two or three times after running across the lake for 20 min at about 25 mph the engine bogs down and starts to backfire a little. Sounds like it starving for gas and yes I replaced the gas filter. If you lay off the gas and idle it runs great up to about 10 mph. If you hit the gas again it does it. If you let it cool down for an hour it runs great once again. It's not repeatable so I could not get it to do it again but it happened 3 times. Some trips I opened it up all the way and ran 40 mph for a few min with no issues.

At the start of 2018 season I replaced the rotor, cap and coil. I changed plugs and checked the PCV the other day (PCV seems fine). No work was done on the boat since last summer and it ran great then. I use 100 % real gas in it. 

Wondering what's next. Any suggestions? Anyone ever see this?

Thanks

Check the fuel pressure at idle and at wide open throttle.  IIRC, the '04 has the Schrader valve for the fuel pressure right under the edge of the intake plenum.  Stupid design, so you'll either have to find an L fitting that will go on (like a locking tire chuck) or remove the plenum and cut the casting to get a typical straight threaded gauge on it.