Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Response LX Fuel Return Line

Hey guys,

So I have a faulty fuel pump (the original Indmar part # 556014). I am looking to replace it with the Carter P61171. From what I have read I need to do something with the fuel return line as there is no adapter to match the old style pump. 

Do I need to route the line back to the fuel tank or fuel line? Or can I get away with simply plugging it. I am concerned about vapour locks as this boat is used intermittently throughout the day.

I did this recently.  Bought a NOS OEM pump and simply retrofitted it.  The originals are still around if you know where to look. But for the same price - https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-556014-fuel-pump-conversion-kit-to-pierburg.html - check the instructions as they explain  what to cap off.

Or https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Indmar-High-Pressure-fuel-pump-kit

Edited by Eagleboy99
Link

so assuming you have the indmar monsoon 325 engine, check out this thread  

I did this same conversion w/ a Carter pump, then just plugged the pump bracket.  Been running fine and is a cheap way to get to the end result.  Pump can be had for under $100 from Summit Racing...plus a few dollars for the plug.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay. So I got the fuel pump installed and working. However, my set up is a bit suspect and I want to make sure it is done properly.

I ordered a 5/8-18 inverted flare to 3/8 hose barb. Everything fits great except it's a swivel fitting and sprays fuel when the fuel pump gets turned off. I took it out and soldered the swivel part of the fitting to seal it. It worked, and the boat runs great. 

Does anyone know where I can purchase the fitting I need in a non-swivel format?