Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5 Disappointment

eubanks

2 hours ago, SWALKER said:

Well 16 hours in and mine is throwing this code and won’t run worth a damn... is this the same or similar code u got? It’s a cylinder 1 misfire...then has another code that says cylinder 1 catalyst damage misfire.  This thing is shaping out to be a real gem... 

easy fix. spark plug or wires. if you've run it with the code a lot though it can do further damage and might have to replace whole CAT.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:13 AM, Raleigh said:

I take it you use the standard non marine 10% ethanol variety as well at those prices?

It is almost impossible to get non-ethanol fuel in CA. I have always ran the stuff straight out of the pump I put in the wife’s car or all the fleet trucks. I do run premium as I feel I want to do everything I can to prolong the life of the boat engine. At $.30 per gallon that is only about $18.00 per weekend in fuel cost.

Premium might make a little more horsepower, but I don't think running premium it is going to prolong anything.  A bottle of Sea Foam in the tank now and again couldn't hurt, especially if you can't find non-ethanol-contaminated gas.    

On 7/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, UWSkier said:

In GM trucks, the 5.3 has never been known as a torque monster.  It's not a bad engine, but it's got to be working like crazy in a 23' boat.

man i couldn't agree more.   I had a 2015 regular wheel base yukon with the 5.3 and felt like it was max'd out and a downright a pig in the extended wheelbase suburban or xl...  If you're not at the top of the rpm range the torque just doesn't feel there.  We now have an 2016 Escalade esv with the 6.2 and its night and day tons more power where you need it. I wouldn't think that the 5.3 would ever translate well into a boat.  The 5.7 felt stronger to me and certainly the 6.0 variations as well. 6.2 is a really, really good motor.  The esv keeps up with our quattroporte and probably could pass the unloaded yukon while towing a boat.

• 10 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 2:18 PM, Ronnie said:

So, after a little digging and a couple of calls...

The 23 w/M5 now will have 17x15.5 (speed) OR 16.5x14 (torque).

Engine upgrade will be 17".

Is this for MY 2021 and beyond? Will Axis do something similar...M5/2:1 tranny/17x15.5 or 16.5x14? If so, would that include the A22?

23 hours ago, formerathlete said:

Is this for MY 2021 and beyond? Will Axis do something similar...M5/2:1 tranny/17x15.5 or 16.5x14? If so, would that include the A22?

That post is almost a year old, FYI, my 2020 23LSV wM6 came with Speed prop 2805

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That post is almost a year old, FYI, my 2020 23LSV wM6 came with Speed prop 2805

Off topic, but what RPMs are you running while surfing? Just ordered my 2021 MXZ with it based on a talk with IXFE.  Curious about the RPMs on smaller boat (ie, not the 25).  

9 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Off topic, but what RPMs are you running while surfing? Just ordered my 2021 MXZ with it based on a talk with IXFE.  Curious about the RPMs on smaller boat (ie, not the 25).  

3400 @ 11 MPH

2020 23LSV M6 full ballast w/plug n play 300 #'s lead throughout.  PW3 @ 2.  speed 11.2 = 3500-3600 RPM  (average 4-5 people on board)

27 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Presumably you ordered your 2021 with the M6?

For everyone talking about the fuel requirements of the m5 / m6 engine.... i suggest you check your owners manual. 

It is similar to "91 Recommended" vs "91 required" by car manuf. 

12 hours ago, pauley71 said:

yes

Smart move. For my application, the M5 is under powered in my 2019 23LSV even with the 15x13 prop. I can’t plane with full ballast if I’ve got more than a couple people in the boat. Our dealer started ordering all their 23’s with the 2020 model year with the M6. 

6 hours ago, eubanks said:

Smart move. For my application, the M5 is under powered in my 2019 23LSV even with the 15x13 prop. I can’t plane with full ballast if I’ve got more than a couple people in the boat. Our dealer started ordering all their 23’s with the 2020 model year with the M6. 

I never had any issues with the M5 and would order it again. I get a new boat every year and this was mainly because of threads like this scaring buyers for no reason. Also you can't compare 2019 to 2020 (or 2021). The M5 got a 2:1 and a 17" prop. Remember a lot of those RPMs are the smaller prop "slipping". 

• Like 3

What prop is working for 2019 M5 boats? I have the 2773 on mine and it is working hard to surf. 4000 rpms at 10.8, while my previous boat with the 340 monsoon was never above 3400 rpms surfing. Thanks, 

36 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

What prop is working for 2019 M5 boats? I have the 2773 on mine and it is working hard to surf. 4000 rpms at 10.8, while my previous boat with the 340 monsoon was never above 3400 rpms surfing. Thanks, 

using the same prop, seems to be the only options if your gonna run extra weight. the 15x14.25 couldnt hold surf speed. There is one with less or more cup and supposedly drops rpms a bit. You can add weight to the nose but then youll have a longer mellower wave. 

13 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

using the same prop, seems to be the only options if your gonna run extra weight. the 15x14.25 couldnt hold surf speed. There is one with less or more cup and supposedly drops rpms a bit. You can add weight to the nose but then youll have a longer mellower wave. 

Thx, i guess i'll stick with this set up for now. I still think I burn less gas than in the old boat so i'll just stop looking at the tach.

1 minute ago, jcon44 said:

Thx, i guess i'll stick with this set up for now. I still think I burn less gas than in the old boat so i'll just stop looking at the tach.

How many clicks on the wedge?  

we run 4500rpms wedge 3 or 4 depending on people. Factory + PNP (large bags in back) 870lbs of lead. Im going to move my lead around to see if i can get it a bit steeper as im having more fun with surf style and airs now. 

40 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

How many clicks on the wedge?  

i've been moving it around. My wife likes 3 or 4 and i like it at just two but RPMs don't seem to change much.

19 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I never had any issues with the M5 and would order it again. I get a new boat every year and this was mainly because of threads like this scaring buyers for no reason. Also you can't compare 2019 to 2020 (or 2021). The M5 got a 2:1 and a 17" prop. Remember a lot of those RPMs are the smaller prop "slipping". 

Not trying to scare anyone. Just sharing my real life experience and the recommendation of our dealer that is one of, if not the, highest volume dealer in the country. I know the 2:1 and 17” prop are helping, but there’s no denying for some applications the M5 just won’t get it done in a 2019  

• 11 months later...

Well, I think this is going to be the last straw for us with the failed impeller issue. Got stranded for the 5th time today…this time with a big group excited for the July 4th weekend on the lake.  So 5 exact same Fairview’s in the first 148 hours of owning this boat.  I think 3 of the 5 have happened with less than 8 hours on the brand new impeller.  We are over it. Been a loyal Malibu owner for 16 years but time to us to look elsewhere unless this one is handled right and these impeller issues have been fixed. 😡 Sad holiday weekend for us and the kiddos. 

57 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Well, I think this is going to be the last straw for us with the failed impeller issue. Got stranded for the 5th time today…this time with a big group excited for the July 4th weekend on the lake.  So 5 exact same Fairview’s in the first 148 hours of owning this boat.  I think 3 of the 5 have happened with less than 8 hours on the brand new impeller.  We are over it. Been a loyal Malibu owner for 16 years but time to us to look elsewhere unless this one is handled right and these impeller issues have been fixed. 😡 Sad holiday weekend for us and the kiddos. 

Did you get rid of that stupid pump that they were using and go to the updated Johnson pump?  The pump they used looks like it's custom-designed to destroy impellers.  I hope someone got fired for that decision...  I imagine that issue has cost Malibu at least a handful of customers.

• Like 2