Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas overflowing but tank not full?

Had less than a quarter tank of gas and started filling it up on our 2019 Axis A24. Got one 6 gallon tank in and a couple gallons into the next tank she started overflowing. You could see the gas was topped out but there was no way it was close to being full. No noticeable kinks. Gas gauge said a little over a quarter tank. We stopped filling and went out anyways. Came back from a day of mostly just floating on the lake and tried again and she took the rest of the gas we had. Any idea what could have caused the blockage? We have to take it in to the dealer in a week so we will have them check it out but wanted to see if anyone else has a similar issue?

Is it possible the gas gauge just isn’t reading correctly? Seems believable that you could’ve made room for the other couple gallons of gas even without doing much of anything when you went back out? I’d check the fuel level first and see if the gauge is working right.

15 minutes ago, cptotr said:

Is it possible the gas gauge just isn’t reading correctly? Seems believable that you could’ve made room for the other couple gallons of gas even without doing much of anything when you went back out? I’d check the fuel level first and see if the gauge is working right.

Nope, this was more a blockage. gauge is definitely working. We drove the boat for about maybe a minute at around 20mph and idled for about 5 minutes. Just went right outside our channel. Definitely didnt consume much gas getting to where we went. Plus we put about 7 or 8 gallons in before it started overflowing and when we got back we put in around 23-25 gallons which got us a little above 1/2 tank on the gauge

What was the boat attitude when you filled, was it bow up or bow down. If bow up....the fill hoses come into the rear of the tank and could have kept it from filling, that has happened to me before as well and I always try to be sure the bow is a little bow down when I fill mine. I also open the 2nd fill cap before putting in fuel to help vent the tank

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 4:52 PM, cvent24 said:

Had less than a quarter tank of gas and started filling it up on our 2019 Axis A24. Got one 6 gallon tank in and a couple gallons into the next tank she started overflowing. You could see the gas was topped out but there was no way it was close to being full. No noticeable kinks. Gas gauge said a little over a quarter tank. We stopped filling and went out anyways. Came back from a day of mostly just floating on the lake and tried again and she took the rest of the gas we had. Any idea what could have caused the blockage? We have to take it in to the dealer in a week so we will have them check it out but wanted to see if anyone else has a similar issue?

Are you filling boat in water not in lift sitting in the fill side? Causing a list  

On 7/8/2019 at 5:52 PM, cvent24 said:

Another thought....this happened to me recently where tank was not full but it backed up the fill line and overflowed. There is a check valve about 2 ft below the fill cap on my boat and I use a shaker siphon. I think the check valve has been malfunctioning in my boat and I found that if I can work the shaker siphon thru the check valves, I can then fill the tank no problem as its dropping straight into the tank without going thru the check valve. Initially this had me stumped and I pulled apart my carbon canister to make sure it was not clogged (it was working right), which is when I figured out that the check valve in the fill line between the cap and the tank was causing the issue. First realized it when it backed up on me, when I blew air thru the fill hose from the cap, it "whooshed", the backed up gas in the fill line dropped into the tank and I was able to continue. Its still important for the boat to be level or slightly bow down since the fill lines go into the rear of the tank but this fixed me issue. 

Weird cause you don't hear of check valve issues like this too frequently. I will probabably pull one of mine apart sometime soon as see if I can figure out what is causing it too malfunction. My guess is that its because the shaker siphon does not flow like a gas nozzle would and its just not enough "force" to fully open it, since I use shaker siphon 95% of the time to fuel up at home, perhaps the lower flow caused the bind cause valve is not being forced open as intended from a gas nozzle that pumps fuel with higher pressure (total guess at this point)