Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ceramic coating

dreamlifeoc1

43 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I had my boat ceramic coated today. Not the best pics but here you go...

B48BE518-C398-47EF-B497-A5EB746CCE26.jpeg

C2AEFAB0-31A4-47DE-BBDD-40FCE8ED2239.jpeg

28446CB9-D3DD-4062-BB7C-B623301D33CD.jpeg

DC7A68E1-E86F-4FDA-8C48-C9DBC926AE6B.jpeg

One of the best designs i have ever seen.  Beautiful.  Did you do the ceramic on the inside and out?  I’ll be interested to hear your review of it

6 hours ago, kayt425 said:

One of the best designs i have ever seen.  Beautiful.  Did you do the ceramic on the inside and out?  I’ll be interested to hear your review of it

Outside only but it includes all the way under the hull (as much as my guy could reach given it's on the trailer). It’s a 5-year coating. He also coated the tower speaker, which I thought was a nice touch. 

For the inside he applied a vinyl protectant that supposed to last a for several months.  

Yeah yeah, I still haven’t installed my interior Gatorstep....

0E45BEF3-FA3D-43AA-BC25-545A74102851.jpeg

6 hours ago, kayt425 said:

I did the Ceramic Pro on the inside and out.  Stepped on the rear ratchet when I was putting the cover on the boat and didn't realize it at first that my foot was bleeding.  I went inside to clean it while my wife finished putting the cover on.  Next day I went out to take the cover off and noticed I got blood on the seats in a couple spots.  My boat is a 17 so my vinyl isn't the completely smooth vinyl.  The blood was in the divots.  I grabbed a wet rag and the blood wiped off completely.  My wife was sold on the ceramic at the past boat show and wanted it since we have a 6 year old and a dog.  I also think the ceramic on the interior makes the cushions look nice.  It doesn't prevent water spots, but it cleans up nicer than before I had the ceramic.  Anything that does stick to the hull comes off easier just by rinsing it with a hose.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:07 PM, PNWoke said:

My buddy swears by it.  He also works for the company that imports it and provides it to all the official dealers.  So of course he’s biased.  That said he’s not a liar and he regularly puts it on $500k Ferrari’s for clients in so cal.  I just got my boat so unless he can get me a screaming deal, I’ll probably have my detail guy do the regular buff/wax treatment and call it good.  Company is called ceramipro or something like that.  I’m sure it has likely already been knocked off by now though so who knows.

Which product does your buddy import. You lost me 

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

I had my boat ceramic coated today. Not the best pics but here you go...

B48BE518-C398-47EF-B497-A5EB746CCE26.jpeg

C2AEFAB0-31A4-47DE-BBDD-40FCE8ED2239.jpeg

28446CB9-D3DD-4062-BB7C-B623301D33CD.jpeg

DC7A68E1-E86F-4FDA-8C48-C9DBC926AE6B.jpeg

Looks great @IXFE!  What product did he use for the coating?  Also, do you know what he did on the interior?  I'm thinking of doing this to our VLX if we decide to keep it.  If we upgrade, I may do it to the new one as well.  Also considering doing it on the RLXi, both interior and exterior.  

TIA.

2 hours ago, Hemmy said:

It doesn't prevent water spots, but it cleans up nicer than before I had the ceramic.  

You might try a coat of Car Pro Gliss over the ceramic.  It is a top coating designed to go over ceramic and specifically helps with water spots.  It is slick as snot and works well on cars; I suspect it would work on a boat that's been coated.  

Very Nice IXFE.  It's been a year since I put my DIYMarineNanoCoat coating on.  It still wipes up clean so much easier than before.  Scum and water spots from water that evaporates off the hull  (usually flat surfaces more horizontal than vertical) still happen of course, but a damp rag wipes them off really easily.  With the old Hot Sauce it was a good bit of scrubbing if I really let them set in for a few days or longer.  I'll definitely do this to all my boats going forward.

Most of the boat is still mirror slick.  The deck sides above the rub rail where my full cover abrades it in the wind have very light scuffing after a year.  I was hoping the ceramic would be a bit harder for the cover to do that to the boat.  I don't have any scientific method of backing this up. But after just one year with the cover on year round outdoors the gel was pretty dull in a couple specific places.  This last year it has only faint scuffing here and there. 

Since ceramic is basically a sacrificial coat and will wear out over time this is probably an indicator that I need to prep/polish/reapply there soon.

I'll look into that Car Pro Gliss.  Sounds interesting.

4 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I'll look into that Car Pro Gliss.  Sounds interesting.

I did my truck recently with CQuartz UK 3.0 then a layer of Gliss, this is after a few trips to the dump and some dusty conditions then a summer sprinkle:

gtTG54L%TD6qbDI3+0s5MA.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, inlandlaker said:

Looks great @IXFE!  What product did he use for the coating?  Also, do you know what he did on the interior?  I'm thinking of doing this to our VLX if we decide to keep it.  If we upgrade, I may do it to the new one as well.  Also considering doing it on the RLXi, both interior and exterior.  

TIA.

Exterior ceramic:

https://driveinhidefinition.com/collections/ceramic-coatings/products/victory-nano-pro-coat

Not sure what he used inside.