Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 LSV rebuild/ restore project

Slackmaster11

Okay so the Rescue mission is now underway! first off new wheels ans tires, found that I have Two bad wheel bearings so will be addressing that as soon as i get the right outer race. (Napa sold me the wrong ones.)

moved on to the inside and wanted to remove the two floor panels next to the motor as they are bent and feel squishy, however that required removing all the interior, soooo..... after 4 hours of removal i was finally able to remove the two panels.

this brings me to my first question, those panels by the motor are just screwed to the main two stringers and the outside edge just rides right on the hull/ hard tanks, most of you guys are saying to surf you need 1,000 LBS in each locker, what have you done to strengthen this panel or are you even looking at it? any one starting to have stress cracks in the hull from all of the weight, or cracked a hard tank below deck? 

I am considering using some .750" UHMW and epoxying some fiberglass stringers as a ledge on the hull so that the UHMW has a spot to ride on on the out side, unsure at this time, any better ideas? 

question #2 where on the motor does the Tach read from? as mine is dead.

Question #3 will PP work without tach? I have power to the unit but screen is dead and has no display possibly related to dead tach? 

6 of the 8 ballast pumps are dead going to order those tonight

any way more picts to come vacation in 13 days so we will see how far i can get

20190706_203125.thumb.jpg.0dc4046d4ac36ca8b1be034d7ff9b261.jpg20190706_203133.thumb.jpg.97884f8671b4eaf4fd14f1de55ebe6cc.jpg20190706_203140.thumb.jpg.1c512d8a9843c05514d95cd0f27c1444.jpg20190706_203147.thumb.jpg.c42d1d159708d1b6f17c0fce56d7a2eb.jpg20190706_114459.thumb.jpg.6cbee1bbea90430fec3ea2b5f715c2ab.jpg20190706_203153.thumb.jpg.c24eed4e9bc4ceba23e8130d18d5a75e.jpg

• Like 3

okay so the story continues, more crap that does not work..... PP and tach are dead took both all the way apart no obvious problems (bad connections, cold solder joints) just hoping at this point the main dash computer is okay. lubed the rudder to help with hard steering however snapped off a zerk in the process, (inset expletive) 6 new pumps will be here Wednesday. Wife cleaned interior and carpet all day Saturday and Sunday, looking better but still bad. Buffed and waxed tower looks way better now. going to powder coat dash and speaker cans Sunday. new wheels and tires are on with two new wheel bearings. more to come

july 81 (3).jpg

july 81 (2).jpg

july 81 (1).jpg

Edited by Slackmaster11
corrections
  • Like 1

That's my twin!  

If you have it that far down I would look at replacing the carpet with another option.  There are a number of threads on here with what others are using to update the interior.  

Might be a good time to upgrade to a GPS cruise option.  PP has updates and their customer service is top notch to talk to.  

Make sure to reinforce those engine divider panels, Wakemakers has a kit or you can DIY some stiffeners.  If you are adding additional sacks for more rear weight you have to fill the factory tanks first to prevent them for cracking or collapsing.  With more rear weight you will also need more bow weight.   

Newberg....Oregon? I live outside of Newberg and also have a '05 LSV. Great project, looking forward to seeing your progress. Let me know if you ever find the front bow tank drain pump....need to find mine to replace it.

Bob

3 minutes ago, xx29l9 said:

Newberg....Oregon? I live outside of Newberg and also have a '05 LSV. Great project, looking forward to seeing your progress. Let me know if you ever find the front bow tank drain pump....need to find mine to replace it.

Bob

Should be able to access it up under the helm.  It's in the "tunnel" between the observes compartment and the helm, where they ran wires from one side to the other.  Have to remove the drivers kickplate and sub if there is one down there.

That combo PP/Tach gauge is known to be problematic.  I know of very few of these that still work.  You're better off replacing that with an updated PP system.

Did your multi-gauge work?  If that is reading OK and the speedo works, your dash computer is fine.

5 hours ago, xx29l9 said:

Bob

yes the bow tank is up under the dash accessed by the drivers side, it is a PITA to get to, i would recommend removing the drivers seat so you can lay down  just know it will suck and that is all there is to it 

5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

That combo PP/Tach gauge is known to be problematic.  I know of very few of these that still work.  You're better off replacing that with an updated PP system.

Did your multi-gauge work?  If that is reading OK and the speedo works, your dash computer is fine.

i have only had it out once and everything seemed to be reading high oil pressure and speedo for sure will take it out Thursday for a shake down run before i put it back together

12 minutes ago, Slackmaster11 said:

yes the bow tank is up under the dash accessed by the drivers side, it is a PITA to get to, i would recommend removing the drivers seat so you can lay down  just know it will suck and that is all there is to it 

Perfect, thanks for the info.

Bob

okay so 3 hours of buffing later and one side is done, pictures do not do it justice

july 91.jpg

july 81 (3).jpg

Edited by Slackmaster11
  • Like 2

agree with above with that much of the interior out, especially if you are in oregon, pull the boat over to gator step and have them make you a template and put in new flooring.  It would really modernize the boat and make the interior feel like a million bucks.  You'd have to level and coat the floor before laying it down of course.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, UWSkier said:

a bit of wet sanding and rubbing compound can do

I learned the hard way that using an oxidation remover first reduces the amount of wet sanding and/or rubbing compound.

22 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Consider replacing the fuel lines and battery cables while you are at it.   

I agree with Boz.  And I would change the exhaust hoses as well.

• Like 2
On 7/6/2019 at 10:48 PM, Slackmaster11 said:

6 of the 8 ballast pumps are dead going to order those tonight

Looks like you already ordered the 6, but my 2 cents is just replace them all, the other 2 will fail soon, I promise it.

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

agree with above with that much of the interior out, especially if you are in oregon, pull the boat over to gator step and have them make you a template and put in new flooring.  It would really modernize the boat and make the interior feel like a million bucks.  You'd have to level and coat the floor before laying it down of course.

Having just done this, I can tell you it isn't fun but you've already got the interior out...regardless of which type of replacement flooring you choose you'll definitely regret not doing it later, and indeed it will look so much better when you're done. 

I highly suggest GatorStep since it's so close, if you're indeed in Newberg, OR.  If you go this route you'll have to figure out if you want new carpet on the sides, or go with more GatorStep.  I removed ALL carpet and put the GatorStep on the back sides of the cupholder panels (and vinyl on the cupholders and seat rail.)  PM @UpperleftWake for more info on GatorStep.

nl4nd2.jpg

I like the gator step idea, but cost could get crazy, im kinda a poor guy that wants to surf. I paid 20k for the boat, finguring 10k in repairs so 30k is what i want to be into this thing. Costs are adding up quickly so we will see what we get done. Going to leave all the fuel lines and such alone right now leaving next friday the 19th for vacation need to have the boat function by then so old carpet and interior is staying for the summer. Then this winter we will do it all over again. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Slackmaster11 said:

I like the gator step idea, but cost could get crazy, im kinda a poor guy that wants to surf. I paid 20k for the boat, finguring 10k in repairs so 30k is what i want to be into this thing. Costs are adding up quickly so we will see what we get done. Going to leave all the fuel lines and such alone right now leaving next friday the 19th for vacation need to have the boat function by then so old carpet and interior is staying for the summer. Then this winter we will do it all over again. 

at least do the carpet.  That can't be more than $150.  And it would be such an upgrade!

11 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

This is gonna add up fast...

I don't know, I think he is going to be well under $10k in improvements if he does all the work.  Should turn out to be a great boat when it's all done.  I would do the same too, use the heck out of it this year and figure out what's important to help develop a budget for the off season.

5 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

going to be well under $10k in improvements

Upholstery will eat half that probably.  Hey - I've done these kinds of  projects before.  They get out of control lickety-split.  But a labour of love... since your time is worth nothing.

• Like 1

Not to take the idea of Gatorstep out of your mind (they are seriously awesome and do amazing work), but due to your budget constraints you could look at ordering the gatorstep style flooring online and DIY it.  Your unique situation of having everything removed from the boat will make prep a lot easier.  You could cut the larger rolls and reinstall the seating right up to the edges then trim from the inside to make it look seamless. 

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I’m proud of you taking this project on.  I love restoring as well.  I could really use your help with my 2006 23LSV   

I’m looking for my right fill ballast pump. I’ve unscrewed the floorboard And all walls and supports, but a hinge keeps it attached.  Can’t see it by bending it up.  Gotta be in there somewhere!  

I’d appreciate your help Finding that pesky thing.  

Best regards. 

• 1 year later...

I realize I’m late to the party, but as someone who has an 06 Malibu, and likes to work on the boat himself to save $$ (and ensure quality work), BE GENTLE WITH THAT ILLUSION TOWER!! They are widely known to crack. Mine did. You’ll be into it another $15k if that happens. Only solution is to order a G3 new tower (and of course new Bimini and racks) through Malibu. Of course the company that made the illusion tower is no longer around, so the G3 is the only option. It is taller, so mounts further back, meaning fiberglass and gel coat work to cover the old holes. I speak from first hand experience, and the internet will also confirm my tale of woe.