Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board review phase 5 swell

surfdude

So, I can’t find Shawndoggys board review any more, so I will just wing it! First of all, I know you guys love your custom boards so no cut too you. I just don’t want to order custom for me, and not be able to sell it if I don’t like it. I’ve owned lots of boards over the years , my fav was the early inland flyboy. Have several phase 5’s now and this new swell is the bomb. Does every thing better than the old version, turns like the old flyboy, but super stable!  1 lb lighter and way faster. Now days you’re battling way more boat traffic and wakes. That’s where the stability comes in. Would like to hear from someone that bought the phantom. The aku was like a flyboy clone. Love that board when the water is smooth, but nowadays that’s tuff. Loved the wire, but the small was too big fo my 150 weight. Prolly the fastest surfboard I’ve ever owned! Any thoughts?

Edited by surfdude
On 7/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, surfdude said:

One of my buddies had one, didn’t like it, but that’s been 7 years ago, also I need a 5.5 or shorter board.

How good of a surfer were you 7yrs ago??

i want to say I was riding a Hyperlite Kona, and trying not to fall and hit my boat because we had to surf almost on the swim deck of our 01’ VLX,

I don't get to ride a huge variety of surf boards so its hard for me to compare them but I do ride the larger size Swell with the smaller 3d fins in quad configuration.  Here is a video of me riding it and the only thing holding me back is my own skill level. You would probably have to be pretty close to pro level to think a board upgrade is needed to advance your riding. I also like how durable the phase 5 boards are compared to others.  Its about as hard/durable as a skim board. 

• 1 year later...

Just adding this to an older thread.  I ordered a Phantom, but ended up with a 53” Swell instead back in 2019.  I rode it behind my 2014 23 LSV and was not overly impressed - part of the problem could have been because I was right at the weight limit of 185 lbs.

Fast forward a little less than 2 years.  Since Jan I lost 20 lbs and now weigh 165.  Replaced the 2014 LSV with a 2021 G23 and tried the board again.  This board is absolutely awesome.  So fast - I was never able to ride with my back foot at the very end of the pad where it elevates; a lot more control.  Very poppy - I should be able to improve my air game this year.

Not sure if it’s the weight loss, new wave or a combination of both, but I am really glad I did not sell the board!

Edited by DAI