Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help finding unicorn surfboard

shawndoggy

I have a couple of larger fellows who come out with us on occasion. They have finally gotten the hang of going ropeless on our venerable cwb tsunami. They need a faster board for them to progress to, but I am not about to order them a custom soulcraft as my big guy boat board. So what’s the best bang for the buck board out there for folks in the 250 lbs range?

Edited by shawndoggy

Can you put bigger thrusters on the Tsunami?

I sure miss my Walker Project 5.0.  Had that board for 13 years.  Could slash, jump, cut, and spin as well as anything else out there (including new custom SoulCrafts) and was super thin and light.  It survived for 12 years in Wisconsin with my 250 lb butt on it.  Last year I had it out with DarkSide and put it in the black bimini pocket... in AZ... in July.  I think I overheated the core because it folded up on me on my first afternoon set of the day.  :cry:

It had some pretty decent size thrusters on it.  It was a twin fin setup.  Was unmanageably fast for people under 200 lbs even behind my dad's '01 VLX with the slalom hull and minimal ballast.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, UWSkier said:

Can you put bigger thrusters on the Tsunami?

I sure miss my Walker Project 5.0.  Had that board for 13 years.  Could slash, jump, cut, and spin as well as anything else out there (including new custom SoulCrafts) and was super thin and light.  It survived for 12 years in Wisconsin with my 250 lb butt on it.  Last year I had it out with DarkSide and put it in the black bimini pocket... in AZ... in July.  I think I overheated the core because it folded up on me on my first afternoon set of the day.  :cry:

It had some pretty decent size thrusters on it.  It was a twin fin setup.  Was unmanageably fast for people under 200 lbs even behind my dad's '01 VLX with the slalom hull and minimal ballast.

What happened to his snd his online presence friend and the board plans , last they were designing a central core design to increase spin efficiency ,  was thinking it would be great , that dude is a linebacker with ballerina skills  

I ride an older Tsunami that I bought on the cheap. I really like the skim style board, but it is really slow. I was going to answer the Shim as @ahopkinsVTXor a Ronix KoaI. The Koal was a great board that all the big guys got up on. I did not go ropeless til I got that board I was 245 at that time.  However it is also a lightweight board that doesn’t take abuse.  A newbie taco’ed it last year. That is when I got the Shim. 

Edited by Sparky450

I would see if you can demo the Ronix Potbelly cruiser 4’11”. 

It carries my big boy friends nicely and carves pretty much the same as my potbelly rocket. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 6 feet and 240 and I ride the Hyperlite Shim.  It is very fast and carves well.  Kind of a hybrid.  The Landlocked is also a great board for less money, but a bit more surf style than hybrid.  I've ridden that and find it's really great too.