Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Post up your new Malibu/Axis boats.

Ronnie

2 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

I want to know who is going to put the M6 with 17" prop in their 2020 - 23 LSV?  It will be in mine for sure

I did and think it’s the best thing for it. I went with the high altitude prop 2755 which I don’t think the 2755 is the right prop for it though. 

Any feedback on the responsiveness of the screen compared to the 2019 / 2018s?

Malivue so far on my 2019 really sucks... Really hating the interface of all of it and quite frankly I'm wishing I went Axis instead based on how all of it works.

Edited by snowmanwithahat
ahopkins22LSV
57 minutes ago, snowmanwithahat said:

Any feedback on the responsiveness of the screen compared to the 2019 / 2018s?

Malivue so far on my 2019 really sucks... Really hating the interface of all of it and quite frankly I'm wishing I went Axis instead based on how all of it works.

What specifically are you looking for? The 2020 screens definitely boot faster. Although messing around on one Tuesday I didn’t think the responsiveness was any faster compared to my 19. That said, I don’t have any complaints about the responsiveness of my 19 screen. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

What specifically are you looking for? The 2020 screens definitely boot faster. Although messing around on one Tuesday I didn’t think the responsiveness was any faster compared to my 19. That said, I don’t have any complaints about the responsiveness of my 19 screen. 

The screen on mine freezes up all the time. I’m really eager to hear how the new OS performs.  

9 hours ago, SCMike said:

The screen on mine freezes up all the time. I’m really eager to hear how the new OS performs.  

I spent quite a bot of time on a 20. Much more responsive IMO.

Are you plugging a phone into the USB port at the phone holder?

16 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Nor do I!

• Like 1

I'm not doubting that some have screen issues but my own personal experience has been one screen freeze over the last 2 years/2 boats. But I also don't plug into the USB, and I keep my batteries well charged, which I think is behind a lot of screen issues others may have. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

I'm not doubting that some have screen issues but my own personal experience has been one screen freeze over the last 2 years/2 boats. But I also don't plug into the USB, and I keep my batteries well charged, which I think is behind a lot of screen issues others may have. 

Maybe this is a lot of the screen problems. I think I have had one screen issue.  My stereo guy relocated the factory usb and now the one under the sport knob on my boat goes to the head unit the factory one is tied up under the dash somewhere. 

19 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

First, I've had it completely freeze twice in 6 weeks of ownership. One being at a boat launch, leaving my screen with corrupted graphics until I pulled power to the whole boat and reapplied at the master switch. It looked like the below image... That's not the real image, but something like that... I was at a launch one of the times and was in too big of a rush to stop and take a photo. That was on the right-hand touch panel, with the main screen on the dash being completely black.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsyBZHmBI0bii8hY7JXdo

second, the UI is just terribly slow. Have you ever tried changing the volume of just the speakers on the tower alone through the "mixer" screen on the radio? Or have you tried to use the rearview camera at all for anything? It runs at like 5 fps (not an exaggeration, i think it actually is 5 fps) and is so small on the overall screen that you can hardly discern any detail. You can't tell me that's a fault of the camera, as even my cell phone from 2010 had a higher than 30fps framerate. It's definitely the ability of the system to keep up with the feed it's receiving.

I've had some pretty bad infotainment systems in cars, and maybe I'm just spoiled with the surprisingly good system FCA has in the Rams now, but this system reminds me of my 2013 Toyota Tacoma, except it's a $100,000+ boat in 2019, not a $30k mid-size truck from 2012

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, snowmanwithahat said:

First, I've had it completely freeze twice in 6 weeks of ownership. One being at a boat launch, leaving my screen with corrupted graphics until I pulled power to the whole boat and reapplied at the master switch. It looked like the below image... That's not the real image, but something like that... I was at a launch one of the times and was in too big of a rush to stop and take a photo. That was on the right-hand touch panel, with the main screen on the dash being completely black.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsyBZHmBI0bii8hY7JXdo

second, the UI is just terribly slow. Have you ever tried changing the volume of just the speakers on the tower alone through the "mixer" screen on the radio? Or have you tried to use the rearview camera at all for anything? It runs at like 5 fps (not an exaggeration, i think it actually is 5 fps) and is so small on the overall screen that you can hardly discern any detail. You can't tell me that's a fault of the camera, as even my cell phone from 2010 had a higher than 30fps framerate. It's definitely the ability of the system to keep up with the feed it's receiving.

I've had some pretty bad infotainment systems in cars, and maybe I'm just spoiled with the surprisingly good system FCA has in the Rams now, but this system reminds me of my 2013 Toyota Tacoma, except it's a $100,000+ boat in 2019, not a $30k mid-size truck from 2012

I agree the volume adjust on mixer screen is slow. That is why I just toggle the zones in the button below the main volume bar and use the sport knob. Which there is still delay if you spin it super fast but nearly as bad. 

I use the rear view camera all the time, but as a explain in another thread, i use it for reference. If I’m backing into a dock slip I glance at it but still use my wife as my main eyes. I agree it could be better. I don’t use it to watch a surfer or anything like that. It’s best use is to make sure the platform is clear when taking off imo. 

Lastly, I have 95 hours on my boat and I’ve honestly never had the screen freeze but I know others that due and as @NWBU said, it’s normally low voltage, bad connection or phone plugged into the update usb. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I spent quite a bot of time on a 20. Much more responsive IMO.

Are you plugging a phone into the USB port at the phone holder?

No, definitely not.  I learned that lesson a few years ago.  Maybe there is an update to install?  I have the boat going into the dealer next week for the 100 hour service.  I'lll have them check it out.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, Sixer said:

Your current boat is the best looking color combo I've seen on a Malibu.  I've actually done builds to mimic yours but tried changing out the red for different shades of blue.  Never turns out quite as sharp as the combo you have with the red.  I was hoping the Zephyr blue would look good, but it just doesn't pop like the red does.  Good luck with the new build!

Yes we decided to stick with the color combo we have!!  I love this boat and if it dont sell....Well I love this boat! 

9 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I agree the volume adjust on mixer screen is slow. That is why I just toggle the zones in the button below the main volume bar and use the sport knob. Which there is still delay if you spin it super fast but nearly as bad. 

I use the rear view camera all the time, but as a explain in another thread, i use it for reference. If I’m backing into a dock slip I glance at it but still use my wife as my main eyes. I agree it could be better. I don’t use it to watch a surfer or anything like that. It’s best use is to make sure the platform is clear when taking off imo. 

Lastly, I have 95 hours on my boat and I’ve honestly never had the screen freeze but I know others that due and as @NWBU said, it’s normally low voltage, bad connection or phone plugged into the update usb. 

I also use my camera for the above mentioned. But I also use it for surfers. Especially riders who like the rope on the tower. I can’t see these riders behind the boat. So as I am slacking out I watch for the board to flip. When it flips I go. I am a key to see the flip. The camera should only be for reference only. Fk you back your car with the rear view camera?  

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I also use my camera for the above mentioned. But I also use it for surfers. Especially riders who like the rope on the tower. I can’t see these riders behind the boat. So as I am slacking out I watch for the board to flip. When it flips I go. I am a key to see the flip. The camera should only be for reference only. Fk you back your car with the rear view camera?  

The use-case you mentioned of watching for the rider to flip the board upright before you hit the throttle is the same and only reason I try and use mine. It's framerate is piss-poor and lags by a good half second, which matters a lot with new riders. I've given up on the camera and ended up just standing while taking off. Like I said, the camera is practically useless to me, with its performance being too bad to be useful with its only use that I have for it. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I've noticed no one says "Hit it" anymore.

Yeah... I've had a hell of a time with rider communication. I've gotten a lot of riders up lately and used to shout at them "Ready?" and get some sort of confirmation they were ready.... most of mine would just nod this year. I had to actually couch them "shout at me when you're ready, hit it, go, ready, anything"

• Like 2

We've had a lot of new people out  this summer and I simply will not hit it until they say hit it.  I'm warm and dry in the boat - I can sit there all day long.  It is far to easy to cause a problem or injury by responding to a nod, a grunt, or YUUPP like that guy on Storage Wars.  In my boat it is HIT IT.

BTW, when we are done I use a little ditty that goes "Ski's in - rope's in - skier's in:  All clear?"  Causes everyone incl. the driver to look around  and double check.  And saves me from pulling out the dive mask and knife.  ;)

On 8/15/2019 at 7:50 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Definitely boots faster, but not any faster with responsiveness. I have 40 hours on 2020 screen and it’s glitched/froze a couple times. 

9 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I've noticed no one says "Hit it" anymore.

New riders. Entitlement. I am all that matters. It is on my time. Yeah!  Drives me crazy. But  all need to enjoy. Otherwise no one goes😎🤪 I always let them know. “ I am slacking out, be ready” their reply. “Wait I need to pee” 😂 In a narrow channel with wind and tide it gets real fun🤬. Yes I am being snarky because I am not on my boat right now. 😁😂

9 hours ago, snowmanwithahat said:

Yeah... I've had a hell of a time with rider communication. I've gotten a lot of riders up lately and used to shout at them "Ready?" and get some sort of confirmation they were ready.... most of mine would just nod this year. I had to actually couch them "shout at me when you're ready, hit it, go, ready, anything"

I tell them to hold the handle in the air. If you have the handle you better be ready!! 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, SCMike said:

No, definitely not.  I learned that lesson a few years ago.  Maybe there is an update to install?  I have the boat going into the dealer next week for the 100 hour service.  I'lll have them check it out.

None right now that I know of.

Could be some loose connections?

On 8/9/2019 at 1:10 AM, Wakesetter67 said:

Well I decided to put my 2018 23 LSV up for sale.  Now this has been my favorite Malibu by far!! and I have been working on designing a new 2020 for the last 3 days! But to be honest my wife and I could not come up with a color combination that we like better than what we have! So have any of you ordered a newer boat basically with the same color scheme? I'am really excited to try the New Malibu engine with the new transmission and 17" Prop, And I love the new Screen look with minor changes.  And one last question... My boat currently has the Indy Red along side the Silver Metallic. If I changed it up a bit, Would going with the Indy red Metallic be to much flake if I use that instead of the plain Indy Red?? Here are the examples although its hard to see by the picture! 

I did silver metallic + red metallic on my 2017. 

It works great, imho. The metallic red is definitely darker... more of a blood red. 

Don’t forget the trailer lights!

57679E47-05E6-4B5B-9AD5-EA7323A8C436.jpeg

44C2B0A4-4BD1-41DF-8B56-4CD7A8FB7C3A.jpeg

2D5005D1-97E1-4205-A4FE-265065040CF5.jpeg

Edited by IXFE