Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Wonderful Malibu Bimini

TallRedRider

16 hours ago, dielawn said:

Putting the boot on the bimini is by far the biggest pain i have. There has got to be a better solution. THe only thing i could come up with would be, to intermittently have  some velcro straps sewn in along the zipper line, so you can initially velcro the boot on/around the bimini, and then begin to zip.  

I sewed a 3/4” black nylon strap with Fastex clips inside and center mass on my boot. After I roll the canvas around the hoops, I will clip the strap around the center then rotate the boot into position on the hoops. I also added a black para cord loop extension to the zipper to make it easier to grab the zipper and pull it closed. Getting everything back into the stowed position to clip the boot around the tower bar is another discussion and challenge.:Doh:

Pretty simple addition really. The length of the strap is a little longer than the unzipped width. The strap is double bar tacked on to the boot in that one spot. The strap has the buckles bar tacked on to a fixed length and also so they won’t come off. The strap is only there to hold the boot in place while I put it on so it didn’t need to have a Saville Row tailor sewing job. The rubber tubes are to prevent chafing on the tower. I noticed where the boat cover was wearing away on the black finish above the tower pivot points (bottom pic)  when I trailed, so I added those tubes knowing it was going to be an issue up there too. I use cut off sections of split pool noodles now to prevent the wear from the cover. The cord for the zipper was more or less mandatory as the bottom piece of the zipper broke off from use. It’s a lot easier to use now so win, win. F461CE5E-B82A-486F-8267-77BC3DFD324F.thumb.jpeg.92de8aa1f5608d3eb68c5e970c306c29.jpeg6976F4CE-66BA-44D5-8606-CF3018B78A28.thumb.jpeg.662e46285c86644d532368ea8791bf64.jpeg
0E15C0B4-2E20-4DA2-BD7E-57565970BCB0.thumb.jpeg.f3d88d5b2cb48f71f3b1a3ac1d0249c8.jpeg

31355CBC-757F-40B5-A682-9916E0740E43.jpeg

Edited by wdr
Cl
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone have a pic of the mounting bracket for the great lakes pivot to a G3 tower?

I got the bracket that was originally off a g4 and wanted to put it on my G3. I called great lakes and they said they would sell me a whole mounting system for 3k since they don't make them. 

But wouldn't disclose who made it so I could attempt to get the bracket. Told me to get one machined myself. 

I'm just curious how they mounted it before I make one myself. Unless someone knows who makes the pivot bracket for Great lakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have time to read this entire thread, so not sure if this has been suggested yet.  This very forum suggested I put a zip tie or keyring through the the tiny hoop to make it easier to grab.  I did use a couple of zip ties.  It makes grabbing and pulling down on that little ring so much easier.  It doesn't fix the other design flaws, but it seriously makes the hardest part of the process way easier.

Also, I have found using some zipper lubricant helps a lot with all the zippers on the boat and the issue of zippers / extension.  Especially the bimini zipper.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Zipper-Lubricant-Protectant/dp/B0014489WM/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?gclid=CjwKCAiA3KefBhByEiwAi2LDHP_wkrPcpSf4xOPE3G1Yggn2gE4BQCT6vyjq7_f7oFXmil9_1CCAMhoCcREQAvD_BwE&hvadid=616931158720&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9021527&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12697425971445371&hvtargid=kwd-295247235827&hydadcr=24633_13611805&keywords=lubricant+for+zippers&qid=1676310350&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExU1UzN00zSlZRME5PJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDE5NTM2MjBTMVBNSVE1SlZEUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjg2NTI3MzFVWlJPNjA5MVVCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• 2 months later...

I have a 2015 LSV without a Bimini and believe G3. I would like the largest Bimini available. Would you go with GL or towerbimini?

I would do a little research with a priority on  function over looks. None will be wife, child or short people friendly. I have no experience with the GL and have only dealt with getting a replacement canvas from towerbimimis.com. The TB.com canvas work was outstanding so I would expect the same from the rest of the assembly. I have the factory CS Bimini meh… it gets the job done but it could be a challenge before I modified it. I like aspects of the GL and might of ordered it instead of the CS had I known that was a choice when I built my boat. The hinges look like they might be kind of wimpy though. In comparison the GL looks to be a simpler operation. The towerbiminis.com looks like a version of the earlier G3 Bimini on my 2010. There was a lot going on there too with my biggest fear being dropping the front poles into the water. I hardly ever messed with it except in the parking lot pre and post launch. Another aspect to think about is Bimini removal. I got lucky that I don’t have to actually pull mine off of my LSV to get it in the garage. I do have to extend and secure it in the upper position than lower the tower into the boat to get the clearance. In the stowed position I can’t get it into the garage. Good luck.

Edited by wdr