Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Wonderful Malibu Bimini

TallRedRider

I don’t understand why more people don’t get the Great Lakes Bimini.  It’s sooooo much easier to deploy and stow.  My 11 & 12 year old girls are the ones that typically do it while we are getting the boat ready to launch or getting ready to leave the lake.  After struggling with the Commercial Sewing Bimini on my last boat, I vowed never to own one again. 

And you didn't even mention the velcro..that is a lot of work to do and undo. Last night I was putting my bimini away and trying to do it quickly to avoid all the fireworks that were going off around me, but despite my efforts, it still took 15- 20 minutes.  Unless you have itty bitty fingers, those pins that secure it to the tower are definitely a pita.

Malibu has stepped up its game in a lot of areas, but the bimini and tower and nearly the exact same as my 2010 247 LSV.

Edited by bbattiste247
11 hours ago, Tjards said:

Heres my redneck tech tip for the day. Get a zip tie that will fit through the small pins. Pull it tight and then leave an inch or two tail hanging out. You now have something easy to grab onto if you are blessed with bigger hands than the average teenage girl. You can thank me later now that you wont be fighting those pins for minutes on end.

2 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

And you didn't even mention the velcro..that is a lot of work to do and undo. Last night I was putting my bimini away and trying to do it quickly to avoid all the fireworks that were going off around me, but despite my efforts, it still took 15- 20 minutes.  Unless you have itty bitty fingers, those pins that secure it to the tower are definitely a pita.

I went out early for the 4th of July today.  We were much quicker and are getting better. 

The little D rings being my greatest frustration, I brought my Lowe's pick tools and that made this job 100 times easier.  I could tease at the D ring and get it half turned with the pick, then push it the rest of the way.  It takes a little fine coordination but is done in 5 seconds each side.  I am so much happier with that!  But I don't know if regular height people can see them when standing on the seats, so may not be a solution for everyone.  Part of the problem is that the D ring falls flat when it is on top (gravity does that), making it harder to get turned.  I find it a little better with them on the bottom, because the D ring will fall open much easier.  Now I am just sure that I will lose at least one of those pick tools to the bottom of the lake.  

@Tjards, that might just be the ticket!  I think I owe you a pull if you are ever down this way.  The zip tie will keep the ring open, and give something a little bigger for your fingers to grasp.  Thank you!  I am going to put a zip tie on there ASAP.  And cheaper than a new set of pick tools.  

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 1
On 7/3/2019 at 2:53 PM, TallRedRider said:

I was going to come out really swinging on how much frustration the bimini on my 2019 Malibu has given me, but decided to first consult the crew and find out if maybe I am doing something wrong, or there is a better way to set it up and take it down.  

Instead of throwing big punches, I will say this bimini is super amateur and rocks it like it is 2005.  The other modern wakeboats I have been on have far easier to set up and put away biminis.  

Some background...my last 2 boats have been Nautique G23's.  The bimini is a masterpiece.  It takes all of 30 seconds to set up, is rock solid, and plenty big.  So Malibu is suffering a little from me coming from Cindy Crawford...and now it feels like I am with Nurse Ratchet.  

1.  You can barely set it up with one person.  The bimini slides forward and then the entire bimini opens up 16 feet in the air and opens over the tower and lands over the cockpit.  Being 6'9" tall with 38 inch sleeves, I can do it, but more often than not, it sort of slams clumsily over the cockpit unless I am standing uncomfortably extending arms like a stork ready for flight.  There is no way someone 5'9" tall is avoiding it crashing rearward unless they stand precariously on the gunwhale.  

2.  Once you have slammed the bimini down over the cockpit, then there is an arm on each side that slides into a bracket and is supposed to lock into place.  The locking mechanism is the worst piece of $*$&$& I have ever seen, and is the source of most of my frustration, actually. If you were lucky enough to have dainty fingers that can fit between the arm of the support and grasp the microscopic half circle, you can turn it to lock it in place.  If you have regular fingers, it is extremely difficult.  I turned it upside down, hoping that being outside the mount might make it easier, but there is a fraction of an inch between the bimini mount and the upper rack, so it is perhaps a tiny bit better.  I think I am going to buy a pick tool that will let me do this, but I cannot believe that I have to do this.  I also have to have one person put downward pressure on the bimini while I turn it, and having a second person makes this easier.   

3.  Putting it away is the reverse of putting it up.  It was pretty awesome today with a 20 mile wind coming directly from the front trying to lift the rear of the bimini and flopping it forward in the stow position.  The bimini is like a giant sail and required 2 people just to push it down.  This usually results in a nice crash as it falls forward if you are alone, unless you have abnormal body proportions or risk life and limb standing on the gunwhale in the parking lot after done boating.  Or just plan on putting it down before you come into the marina.  

4.  Cramming it into the boot is very difficult with 1 person.  It is tight, as it probably should be, but requires one person to hold the zipper shut and stuff the fabric inside while the other zips.  I suspect most boot contained biminis are this way, so I probably shouldn't complain.  This may not be an issue unique to Malibu, but I remember my 2006 MC being easier.  Maybe I just accepted it then, because there was nothing better.  No I don't put the bimini extension in the boot meant for just the bimini.  

5.  This is laughable.  I bought the bimini extension.  It has a tag that says that it should not be used while the boat is moving.  It really does, picture attached, and also says it has no warranty.    It actually worked fine for a week I had it set up at Lake Powell, but don't sell me crap that has a tag that says it is not intended to be used on a moving boat.  You have to be kidding me.  

Here are some pics.  

First pic...just laugh with me a little here.  

Second pic: You see the little ring that sits in the C curve of the support?  You have to rotate that 180 degrees while simultaneously trying not to let the arm slide out.  It rotates easier if you push on the button on the other end of the pin. So turning the ring, pushing the pin and holding the arm in place requires three hands.   Nautique had a pin that you insert there to hold it in place.  It was easy and worked every time.  There is no upper rack in this picture, or you would see the button is a few mm away from the upper rack mount.  

Third Pic: I turned the bracket mount upside down and swapped it left to right.  Notice how the ring is now a lot easier to get to, unless you have upper racks (I now have upper racks on both sides) it again is very difficult to squeeze your fingers in here.  I think my curved pick tool from Lowe's might make this a lot easier.   Is there another way to do this?  

Here is a video I found:  My support arms are not like these, and it is obvious they skip the video forward when he crashed it back like I do.   Another video from Singleton Marine made it look easier to deploy, but even with me standing on the seat, it isn't easy, particularly when it is windy.  My 25 LSV may be significantly taller.   The Singleton Marine video is dishonest by not showing him release the ridiculous pins.  And BTW, if I don't engage the pins, the arms pop out.  

I am happy to take all criticisms, both constructive and unconstructive.  Am I the only one to find this engineering to be subpar for a boat of this caliber?  Maybe I am doing it all wrong, but it does not look like it based on the videos.  I have gotten better with practice, but I did not think biminology was a skill I would have to hone.  

20190504_171424.jpg

20190601_084708.jpg

20190601_213117.jpg

Totally agree, Malibu bimini is janky as hell and a PITA to deploy and take down. Love once it is set up though;)

On 7/3/2019 at 5:53 PM, TallRedRider said:

my last 2 boats have been Nautique G23's.

I've been on a couple of G23's less than a few years old, and one '19 230. The Nautique biminis on all have the same major issues in my opinion.

1 - they don't have an effective "stowed" position. When not deployed, they have a MASSIVE 4 foot x 7 foot-ish duck bill extended from the rack. Essentially, stowed leaves it about 60% deployed. In addition to remaining essentially deployed, that duck bill is ugly as sin. The Malibu biminis, when stowed, sits kinda along the tower into a boot and almost disappears. 

2 - whether deployed or stowed-ish, the bow end on the Nautique is about 5'8" tall. You are right. It is really rigid. So rigid that anyone over 5'7" takes a hammer-shot to the forehead on it every time you attempt to walk under it. It amazes me that being 6'9" you could tolerate the Nautique version. Maybe you are just accustomed to ducking under stuff. At 6' tall myself, I've knocked myself pretty good a couple of times on my buddy's - not unlike the shot I sometimes take from my tower speakers.

With that being said, I don't have a need to alternate from deployed to stowed every time I go out. As a card carrying member of Pale Nation, mine stays up from spring to late fall. 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:21 PM, TallRedRider said:

When it is on the bottom, there is very little space between the top rack and the ring, and really doesn't make it easier. I did that as you can see in one of the pics I posted.  

Malibu doesnt install these, the dealer does, we put ours on the other sides so the tab to twist is facing up.

2 hours ago, COOP said:

Malibu doesnt install these, the dealer does, we put ours on the other sides so the tab to twist is facing up.

They were installed on my boat when we unwrapped it... so if the bimini was ordered with the boat then it seems the factory does install them.

22 minutes ago, COOP said:

Odd. Most of ours (unless its on a power tower ) do not come installed. Either way Id switch em. Makes it easier.

Ah... I have the Gx. So that explains it.

7 hours ago, COOP said:

I did ask my salesman before I consulted the crew.  He said that they came installed from the factory, and are always with the D ring facing up.  As you can see, they aren't easy to reach either way.  Now that I have zip ties attached, it might be easier with them up.  I have some homework to do to see which way I like better.  20190601_084708.thumb.jpg.2ab399042e3a9ea7b94e3442ac902c8f.jpg20190601_213117.thumb.jpg.5802411128279d20c29c179bad2c7696.jpg

8 hours ago, BigCreek said:

I've been on a couple of G23's less than a few years old, and one '19 230. The Nautique biminis on all have the same major issues in my opinion.

1 - they don't have an effective "stowed" position. When not deployed, they have a MASSIVE 4 foot x 7 foot-ish duck bill extended from the rack. Essentially, stowed leaves it about 60% deployed. In addition to remaining essentially deployed, that duck bill is ugly as sin. The Malibu biminis, when stowed, sits kinda along the tower into a boot and almost disappears. 

2 - whether deployed or stowed-ish, the bow end on the Nautique is about 5'8" tall. You are right. It is really rigid. So rigid that anyone over 5'7" takes a hammer-shot to the forehead on it every time you attempt to walk under it. It amazes me that being 6'9" you could tolerate the Nautique version. Maybe you are just accustomed to ducking under stuff. At 6' tall myself, I've knocked myself pretty good a couple of times on my buddy's - not unlike the shot I sometimes take from my tower speakers.

With that being said, I don't have a need to alternate from deployed to stowed every time I go out. As a card carrying member of Pale Nation, mine stays up from spring to late fall. 

I think that you should rethink your statement about the height of the G23 bimini.  Here is a picture of me at 6'9" tall on a 2018 G23 without the bimini.  The bimini is at the level of the tower, and is flat all the way across when installed.  I suspect that the only way a 5'9" guy is going to take one to the forehead is if he is standing on the seat.  Maybe the bow insert was placed when you rocked your noggin?   

It is butt ugly, and had to grow on me. 

It is true that it is partially deployed at all times, which can be an issue if you like to stand in the front walkway to the bow and sun yourself.   :Tease3:   There were cool days where I did wish I could remove it easily, but that was very few for me.    

20170908_173921 (1).jpg

I would reccomend to anybody to get a Sewlong bimini. Can deploy or stow in 2 min with 2 peeps, or 5 min by yourself.  I have a 257 for reference but it just folds back and 2 pins and done. Stow is reverse, then put the boot on. Easy. Just checked their website they dont say that they make them for Malibu, but cant imagine they dont. 

On 7/4/2019 at 9:37 AM, SCMike said:

I don’t understand why more people don’t get the Great Lakes Bimini.  It’s sooooo much easier to deploy and stow.  My 11 & 12 year old girls are the ones that typically do it while we are getting the boat ready to launch or getting ready to leave the lake.  After struggling with the Commercial Sewing Bimini on my last boat, I vowed never to own one again. 

I just watched the GL Bimini video on I don't see how that is any different than the CS bimini other than the extra feet the click into the tower (Which I like as it creates a lot of rigidity.)  Maybe neither are ideal but I found that the CS bimini on my old G3 w/ the swivel mounts and the CS bimini on my Gx tower are both pretty quick and easy to deploy and store and when they are up they are rock solid.  Maybe I just don't know what "easy" is.  For me the best part of the CS bimini is that it lays completely flat on the tower when it is down (so I can clear my 8' door.)  I do with the bimini metal looked a little nicer... shiny chrome looks a little out of place.

bim1.thumb.JPG.c1029bf2f6af02c04a13e83b130f0550.JPG

My GL lays flat on the Gx when folded too.  I have mixed feeling overall - getting both pins to stay unreleased at the same time so you can move the bimini is usually tough.  I have to maintain pressure on the frame as I walk to the other side to release the second pin so the first one doesn’t lock back into place.  

48B28C74-D6E2-4222-A761-76F8E7A316D4.jpeg

Edited by hethj7
ahopkins22LSV

@hethj7 you need a new truck to match your boat... :Tease3:

@TallRedRider, I still agree that there is probably a better solution for the bimini but I’ve found a few tricks in the year we’ve had ours. I tried to take pictures of it this evening, hopefully it makes sense and helps.

It helps a ton to have the mount positioned this way and push it forward. Sometimes I pull on the bimini frame just a bit to get it to move forward. Doesn’t take much but if you get it forward you can push up on the pin from the bottom and they typically move freely then. I then twist it with my other hand which I couldn’t photograph as I was by myself.

672E9E3A-1427-48F9-BE33-16D903C48EB8.thumb.jpeg.10cf311ab13f7f618a1e9064be07f92d.jpeg

CBE7C5C9-40B4-4F8B-A849-D4BAD6ABCFCF.thumb.jpeg.789923018ec68349676fc03bcb059ba4.jpeg

For the boot, I wrap the bimini around itself a few times then actually start the boot off the bimini on the frame. On mine there is enough extra length to do this. Could be different on other boats. Then I hold the boot together about a foot at a time and zip it shut. Again, could be different on different size boats that probably have a bimini bigger than our vtx but this method has been working great for us. Slide it back and strap it to the tower. Hope this helps.

63288022-612E-4292-8E03-3E629DEC9158.thumb.jpeg.1b79fafbe678874679a4ab10928b3f56.jpeg

8C929A7E-B1A7-4246-A8A9-305BBA2ABD46.thumb.jpeg.bf7d5fd2b3e818599616b6c9dce7cd9d.jpeg

The truck was my buddy’s.....had him tow on our longest trip since he has a 3/4 ton.  Felt way more planted than my F150.  But that is a different thread and probably a different “post a pic of your latest purchase update”

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I did ask my salesman before I consulted the crew.  He said that they came installed from the factory, and are always with the D ring facing up.  As you can see, they aren't easy to reach either way.  Now that I have zip ties attached, it might be easier with them up.  I have some homework to do to see which way I like better.  20190601_084708.thumb.jpg.2ab399042e3a9ea7b94e3442ac902c8f.jpg20190601_213117.thumb.jpg.5802411128279d20c29c179bad2c7696.jpg

One thing that has help me is to push on the opposite side of the D-ring, this pushes the D-ring up and makes it easier to grab and rotate.

1 hour ago, Chappy said:

One thing that has help me is to push on the opposite side of the D-ring, this pushes the D-ring up and makes it easier to grab and rotate.

^^^This. Just figured this out on accident last time I was out. Pushing the underside of the d-ring made it much easier. My two most hated parts besides the d-ring are flipping it over (either to deploy or stow) and then sliding it back and forth. I cannot get the frame to slide for the life of me and feel like I’m going to have a stroke every time I do this. And it doesn’t help when it’s 95 degrees out. 

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Doesn’t take much but if you get it forward you can push up on the pin from the bottom and they typically move freely then. I then twist it with my other hand which I couldn’t photograph

I was going to post this and decided to read through first and saw @ahopkinsVTXhas covered it. I push the arm forward, push up the pin from the bottom and push in with a finger on one side of the ring. It is getting much easier as it gets used more. I use the Bimini every week and deploy/ stow by myself in what seems like less than two minutes each way. I agree the sliding  could be better. . I usually only push a few inches on each side at a time until it is fully in or out. Maybe it needs WD40. The silicone spray seems messy, but I may need to try it as well. 

You should have seen the monkey on the football the first couple times I was out. 😂😂

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, hethj7 said:

My GL lays flat on the Gx when folded too.  I have mixed feeling overall - getting both pins to stay unreleased at the same time so you can move the bimini is usually tough.  I have to maintain pressure on the frame as I walk to the other side to release the second pin so the first one doesn’t lock back into place.  

@hethj7 not sure if the Gx is the same way, but on mine if I pull the pin and turn 90 degrees, the pin locks in the release position. If yours is like that as well you won’t have to maintain upward pressure while releasing the other side. 

3 hours ago, G Spot said:

@hethj7 not sure if the Gx is the same way, but on mine if I pull the pin and turn 90 degrees, the pin locks in the release position. If yours is like that as well you won’t have to maintain upward pressure while releasing the other side. 

I will give that a try.  Thanks for the tip!

15 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I think that you should rethink your statement about the height of the G23 bimini.

I can walk from the stern to the bow in my boat without coming close. I cannot walk between the windshields of the Nautiqes I've been on without ducking. Yes the bow insert was in. It makes a great place to stand with your feet kinda under the inserted seat with your forearms rested on the windshields. If you stand in this spot, and are taller than 5'9", this spot is not an option unless you crouch down. At 6' tall, for me, it's really out of the ordinary to have to knock my head on stuff as I walk under it.

While I'm at it, the below-the-floor cooler storage in the G's seems kinda dumb too. Old people like me that can afford their boats don't want to be digging 2 feet below our feet to grab a cool one. 

Don't get me wrong. They make killer boats that make a nice wave/wake to ride. They just designed them for people closer to the ground than me. 

It occurred to me that maybe they have different bimini models over the years so I did a quick PlanetNautique search. My experiences have obviously been with the z5 version. 

Man these things are way lower than the regular Bimini...
Has anyone modified the z5 Bimini so that it sits taller on a G23? I can't believe how low they actually sit. I'm 6'0 and it the back it hits me right in the forehead where it's only 5'7 tall from floor to the Bimini and the front where you walk through at the windshield is only 4'10" and hits me in the shoulder. Looks like you could make a bracket or two and raise it 6". Any help is appreciated.

Edited by BigCreek