Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LEFT TURNS ON SURFGATE

dreamlifeoc1

I notice when speed control, wedge,and surfgate are initiated,  I can't make a left full u turn to pick up a downed surfer. I have to disengage the speed control before I make a left u turn in order to turn that direction.  Is this normal?

34 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Huh? Are you trying to turn back at speed? That will never work because you are fighting the gate plus you are throwing a huge roller down the lake. 

When a surfer falls, pull throttle back to neutral, turn wheel to opposite side of surfer, the boat will naturally spin sideways. Wait for the rollers to pass and then idle back to your rider. Full turning ability, safer, and dryer. I’d guess it is quicker too. This is how you should do it surfing, wakeboarding or skiing as well. 

This ^

I think that many dealers fail at helping buyers with these new boats to demonstrate that proper ways to use them. There are so many instances of this and of weighting the new boats that it makes you wonder if the dealer is even taking the buyers out for demos.

• Like 3

Active Water Sports posted a video which shows the "Right Way" to pick up a downed surfer.    Personally use it all the time.  

• Like 3

I agree with you @Ronnie.  Dealers could serve there customers much better by providing some knowledge of the best way to get a downed rider.  As @ahopkinsVTX stated, it's the same with skiers and wakeboarders.  I still can't believe people continue to do power turns to pick up a downed rider.  It blows me away.  I see it all the time on my home lake, but it's generally limited to those who tow with IO runabouts vs. actual tow boats.  It's very infrequent that I see tow boat drivers do that.  

• Like 2
On 7/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, ORMailbuboater said:

Active Water Sports posted a video which shows the "Right Way" to pick up a downed surfer.    Personally use it all the time.  

Very helpful. However the driver was able to make a full left turn which was the problem I had. 

Whether or not it’s rider retrieval time or not the report many are having probably fir nothing more than a lack of a rudder adjustment as a fix is the cant turn there boats certain directions depending on which side they are surfing , my boat regular or goofy surf turns around River turns no matter which direction or which side I am surfing , 

so instead of answering your question they resort to whether you have proper downed rider surf etiquette than your question of a non functioning surf boat  

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

Whether or not it’s rider retrieval time or not the report many are having probably fir nothing more than a lack of a rudder adjustment as a fix is the cant turn there boats certain directions depending on which side they are surfing , my boat regular or goofy surf turns around River turns no matter which direction or which side I am surfing , 

so instead of answering your question they resort to whether you have proper downed rider surf etiquette than your question of a non functioning surf boat  

In the OP’s first post he stated that he can’t make a left turn to pick up a downed rider. That’s why we went that direction. Later in the thread he said he can’t turn left at all but his is still referring to going back to get a rider. If he can’t turn left at all to make turns why towing someone then yes, he probably needs his rudder adjusted but all of his questions were in reference to turning back to get a downed rider. 

To be honest I don’t know if I could turn into the surfgate like they show in the video, although actually the video shows them turning with the surfgate side on the inside which is probably how they were able to make that turn. 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:16 PM, inlandlaker said:

I agree with you @Ronnie.  Dealers could serve there customers much better by providing some knowledge of the best way to get a downed rider.  As @ahopkinsVTX stated, it's the same with skiers and wakeboarders.  I still can't believe people continue to do power turns to pick up a downed rider.  It blows me away.  I see it all the time on my home lake, but it's generally limited to those who tow with IO runabouts vs. actual tow boats.  It's very infrequent that I see tow boat drivers do that.  

Whether it's the Hartwell letter or my own lake having animosity towards wake boats is something we and the dealers need to work harder on.

The hard part about having more lessons or classes is that you're telling people who have 30 years of recreational "experience" they're doing it wrong.

Now that most ios now look like a wake boat isn't helping the differentiation for the blame either.

I'm having a similar problem.  While surfing left I'm almost hard lock to the left to keep the boat going straight.  No way am I making a turn at speed.  But once I slow down to pick up my rider the gate goes back in and I can turn again.  Surfing right I don't have a problem.

Are you saying that I can adjust my rudder to give me some steering back while surfing left?  Link please.   I assumed it was normal for some reason.

6 hours ago, truckjunky87 said:

I'm having a similar problem.  While surfing left I'm almost hard lock to the left to keep the boat going straight.  No way am I making a turn at speed.  But once I slow down to pick up my rider the gate goes back in and I can turn again.  Surfing right I don't have a problem.

Are you saying that I can adjust my rudder to give me some steering back while surfing left?  Link please.   I assumed it was normal for some reason.

Supposedly posters on Malibu/Axis snd a rare one in here have had dealers that made adjustment and improved or eliminated most if not all of the  symptom 

Other dealers tell customers that nothing can be done so up for debate 

when I attempt the recommended  level surfing in the recent  pinned ballast thread I wonder if I will have issues , listed I can turn any direction at any time on either surf side with no hard steering at all snd supposedly we surf to heavy and doing that I would think I would experience this  

I can pretty much when wedge is deployed and we are heavy listing bow snd stern I can  take my hand off wheel and it will go straight or arc slightly to surf side all in its own but hold course straight or in that slight arc  

it’s been almost 4 years since I surfed level 

interesting note , if you want to drive straight at idle and not steer correct not ballasted but just crew   , drop your wedge and boat nose will click back and forth a few degrees each way snd it will go straight 

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
16 hours ago, truckjunky87 said:

You can make an adjustment on the steering cable. I believe @TallRedRider had it done on his new 25. @TenTwentyOne also explained it but I forget where it was. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Surfed level for first time in 3 plus years last weekend , comparative vids for proper surf weighting thread to follow  

Listed heavy the Boat turns completely any direction regardless of surf side easily at the wheel 

Level it was a bear to turn left surfing left  but with cable steering it was totally possible and after the worst initial  resistance it  was slightly easier but hard to do.  

I’m convinced if you cant turn left surfing left , your boat needs to be fixed as referenced above

I have noticed when taking off with a surfer, and you're trying to turn left with the steering wheel locked, it sometimes will not respond. I have found that if you steer right a few degrees on the steering wheel, the boat will respond to the left turn better. It's like the rudder is positioned too far with the wheel locked and it's just acting as a dam in the water. With a little movement to the right, it lets the water flow past the rudder better and you get your turn.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:38 PM, dreamlifeoc1 said:

I notice when speed control, wedge,and surfgate are initiated,  I can't make a left full u turn to pick up a downed surfer. I have to disengage the speed control before I make a left u turn in order to turn that direction.  Is this normal?

Yes it's normal to much pressure on the surf gate to overcome.

We just drop throttle and turn the other direction boat comes around naturally very quickly off throttle to the opposite side of the surfer then back to the rider and go again.