Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP before the 4th!! 2017 MXZ Rear ballast won’t fill

Cjmcd09

I just purchased a 2007I just purchased a 2017 wakesetter MXZ with 73 hours in it.  I live in the Lake Tahoe area and just had to get the boat inspected before going out on the water.  They are really thorough here with inspections would have to do a hot water flush through each ballast tank before you can go on the water. My pumps were filling up fine at the inspection and everything drained correctly. However, when I got on the water and hour later I went to fill up the tanks in the right rear ballast pump will not fire.  I just opened up what I believe is the pump that will not fire and I don’t see any debris in it. I’ve heard about people resetting the fuse for this but I’m not sure where it is located. Has anyone else had this issue? Please help as we have a ton of family coming into town for the fourth and everyone is looking forward to using the new boat! Thank you in advance!

I was looking at the incorrect pump when i cleared it out. When I fire the left rear pump it sounds as if it’s in the engine compartment or near there so I assume the one that is failing is equidistant on the other side. Can anyone help with me with how to access this?

I had the same thing happen to me last year at Lake Tahoe, right as I was dropping the boat in for a week long trip with 4 families.  For me it ended up being a bad ballast pump, I think the hot water pumps somehow broke the it.  I find that out when I got back home.  On the lake, checked the fuses under the dash, which are a pain to get to and they were all fine.  

My advice is this...

Check the fuses.  If they are bad, replace.  If they are good, you should just replace the pump.  The pumps are cheap and universal.  They cost about $40 and you might even be able to get one overnighted to you from wakemakers. Swapping out the pump will take you 20 min. If you can’t find a pump to overnight, it’s highly likely one of the marinas on the lake will have a pump and can swap it out.  Homewood marina services and sells Nautique and centurion and likely has a pump in stock. You might end up paying 3-4x as much, but you will be in business for your trip.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 

• 3 years later...
On 7/2/2019 at 3:20 PM, wdr said:

Under the dash behind the steering wheel

I have the same issue, I can see the fuse panel behind the steering wheel, but is there a trick to accessing? I can’t seem to get to it.

Not sure on the ‘17. My 2010 did not have a fancy covering over the fuse panel. My 2019 has a fancy plate that covers the fuse box. It has 2 knurled knobs port/strbrd that hold it to the lower dash assembly. Unscrew and pull the panel.