Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Auto Wedge ?

LucasC

I Hear people talk about auto wedge but cant figure it out " Probably simple" . If I select lift I Get a over speed warning , I assume by auto wedge it would move with speed , Just dont understand it. 

Can someone explain. Thanks 

There is a good explanation for how the Auto Wedge works in the manual.   Essentially the wedge goes immediately into lift mode upon throttle up to help bring the boat on plane then move to the desired wedge setting.  If you leave it in Lift mode it will alarm past 26 MPH.  Hope that helps.  

Note that the Power Wedge should only be used at speeds below 26 MPH or you get an alarm.  Some run lift over 26mph and ignore the alarm.  Do that at your own risk of course.  

Section below from the manual

POWER WEDGE CONTROL Tune the ideal wake for surfing and wakeboarding with the Power Wedge. The Power Wedge is not intended for use at speeds greater than 26 mph. An alarm will sound and a NOTICE will be displayed if the Power Wedge is in a deployed position at speeds exceeding 26 mph. The boat speed must be below 26 mph to dismiss the alarm. Ensure all passengers are in the boat and seated before changing the Power Wedge position. Stay clear of the Power Wedge while it is in motion. Extremities and clothing might become pinched or caught. This can cause serious injury! Power Wedge Operation: The Power Wedge position adjustment is permitted only when the boat speed and Power Wedge position are within safe operational range. The Power Wedge is not intended for use at speeds greater than 26 mph. The Power Wedge will return to the stowed position only at speeds of 1 to 10 mph. Before the ride begins, deploy the Power Wedge to a downward position by touching any one of the eight (8) position buttons on the Power Wedge control. If the wedge is in the stow position (all the way up), you can press any of the remaining piano keys to deploy the wedge. The remaining keys range from VERT, which is the most aggressive wedge setting, to LIFT. The selected button will turn white. The size and shape of the wake can be adjusted when the boat has reached a speed of 10 to 26 mph. Select a new position on the Power Wedge control or make fine adjustments using the buttons on the bottom of the optional joystick (Sport Dash). Wedge Locator: The wedge locator widget will follow the Power Wedge during motion. The white will indicate the current selected wedge location, but may not reflect its actual physical position.

AutoWedge: AutoWedge is the automatic active control of the Power Wedge by the system. The Power Wedge will move to the “Lift” position while the boat is accelerating. This helps the boat get on plane and reduce drag on the boat. Then the Power Wedge will move to the selected position automatically after the desired speed is achieved. AutoWedge is turned ON/OFF in the SETUP menu. The factory default setting is ON.

7 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

There is a good explanation for how the Auto Wedge works in the manual.   Essentially the wedge goes immediately into lift mode upon throttle up to help bring the boat on plane then move to the desired wedge setting.  If you leave it in Lift mode it will alarm past 26 MPH.  Hope that helps.  

Note that the Power Wedge should only be used at speeds below 26 MPH or you get an alarm.  Some run lift over 26mph and ignore the alarm.  Do that at your own risk of course.  

Section below from the manual

POWER WEDGE CONTROL Tune the ideal wake for surfing and wakeboarding with the Power Wedge. The Power Wedge is not intended for use at speeds greater than 26 mph. An alarm will sound and a NOTICE will be displayed if the Power Wedge is in a deployed position at speeds exceeding 26 mph. The boat speed must be below 26 mph to dismiss the alarm. Ensure all passengers are in the boat and seated before changing the Power Wedge position. Stay clear of the Power Wedge while it is in motion. Extremities and clothing might become pinched or caught. This can cause serious injury! Power Wedge Operation: The Power Wedge position adjustment is permitted only when the boat speed and Power Wedge position are within safe operational range. The Power Wedge is not intended for use at speeds greater than 26 mph. The Power Wedge will return to the stowed position only at speeds of 1 to 10 mph. Before the ride begins, deploy the Power Wedge to a downward position by touching any one of the eight (8) position buttons on the Power Wedge control. If the wedge is in the stow position (all the way up), you can press any of the remaining piano keys to deploy the wedge. The remaining keys range from VERT, which is the most aggressive wedge setting, to LIFT. The selected button will turn white. The size and shape of the wake can be adjusted when the boat has reached a speed of 10 to 26 mph. Select a new position on the Power Wedge control or make fine adjustments using the buttons on the bottom of the optional joystick (Sport Dash). Wedge Locator: The wedge locator widget will follow the Power Wedge during motion. The white will indicate the current selected wedge location, but may not reflect its actual physical position.

AutoWedge: AutoWedge is the automatic active control of the Power Wedge by the system. The Power Wedge will move to the “Lift” position while the boat is accelerating. This helps the boat get on plane and reduce drag on the boat. Then the Power Wedge will move to the selected position automatically after the desired speed is achieved. AutoWedge is turned ON/OFF in the SETUP menu. The factory default setting is ON.

Thanks for that , explains Auto ,  I never see mine move on its own so will check settings

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some help with this feature on my boat.  The Autowedge is "On" in my settings but it is not going into lift mode when I am accelerating. 

I read on a previous thread that you needed to select lift mode on your first run of the day then select the desired wedge setting and then it would "remember" and automatically toggle between the two settings but this is not happening.  I have to do it manually each time I get a rider up.  Trying to use this feature for surfing. 

Any insight?

31 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Looking for some help with this feature on my boat.  The Autowedge is "On" in my settings but it is not going into lift mode when I am accelerating. 

I read on a previous thread that you needed to select lift mode on your first run of the day then select the desired wedge setting and then it would "remember" and automatically toggle between the two settings but this is not happening.  I have to do it manually each time I get a rider up.  Trying to use this feature for surfing. 

Any insight?

From what I can tell, this feature only works when speed control is set for wake boarding speeds. So I just do it manually, launching with wedge set in Lift, then dial in the wedge when the boat’s up to speed.

Hopefully this will be automated in some software update.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, NWBU said:

From what I can tell, this feature only works when speed control is set for wake boarding speeds. So I just do it manually, launching with wedge set in Lift, then dial in the wedge when the boat’s up to speed.

Hopefully this will be automated in some software update.

If that is true that may be the dumbest thing Malibu has done ever! Why would they not make it work for surfing?

3 minutes ago, Chappy said:

If that is true that may be the dumbest thing Malibu has done ever! Why would they not make it work for surfing?

I agree it should be used for surf launches. I notice the difference at my sea level elevation but it's a huge help at altitude. Just used the manual Lift surf launch for the last 3 days at a 5,000' lake and had no issues getting to speed while fully loaded for surfing. Others driving the boat really struggled when they launched with the wedge down.

• Like 2

It seems the wedge lift mode is designed to help a weighted boat to get up on plane.  I doubt anyone considered it would be needed to assist the boat at below planing or surf speeds.  It also may work as a band-aid for situations where the prop pitch is too aggressive for the conditions the boat is being operated in, but I doubt it was designed for that either.