Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf wave setup for SurfGate Equipped boats

Raimie

@gregtay also interested in the board you are riding. I have a 5'0" Liquid Force Rocket 22, and am around 215#. I had a buddy with me this weekend who is 175# soaking wet and neither of us could find the sweet spot on the wave. Wondering if that is just user error or I need something less "skimboard" shaped.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:27 AM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

@gregtay also interested in the board you are riding. I have a 5'0" Liquid Force Rocket 22, and am around 215#. I had a buddy with me this weekend who is 175# soaking wet and neither of us could find the sweet spot on the wave. Wondering if that is just user error or I need something less "skimboard" shaped.

in the video my wife is on a Ronix Carbon Sproket (the smaller version.) She loves that board.  I ride a few different things.  I have a Matrix (I think it is a 53).  I also ride a potbelly rocket (the med size.)  I tip the scale around 165-170 depending on how much beer I drink.

• Like 1
On 6/1/2022 at 7:45 AM, PopsA22 said:

Hi, I have an Axis A22 and my setup is very similar to yours and get a beautiful wave.  Question I have is what setting is your wedge in?  Ramp?  My adjustment are 1-6.  One being least amount of force and six being comparable to 1500# of downforce. Also, do you get a better surf side with your boat Like I do?  Goofy riders get a cleaner shaped wave.  

Not ramp.. I usually sit about 2 clicks from ramp.  I find ramp causes too much bow rise and shortens the wave.   even with more wieght in the bow I find that ramp is never better for surf style.  For skim... I slow it down and ramp the wave a bit more.

2 hours ago, gregtay said:

in the video my wife is on a Ronix Carbon Sproket (the smaller version.) She loves that board.  I ride a few different things.  I have a Matrix (I think it is a 53).  I also ride a potbelly rocket (the med size.)  I tip the scale around 165-170 depending on how much beer I drink.

Appreciate it man. I’m well outside of my college soccer years, pushing 210 on a good day. I managed to pick up a used Connelly Ono off eBay (for a freaking steal) and found the sweet spot for the first time this weekend. I’m STOKED!!!

oh and then I bottomed out and trashed my first prop, so a few firsts this weekend 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by SmoothbrainA22
Added prop trashing

Anyone have set up recommendations for 2022 25LSV set up.  So far it creates the best wave at 11.6 mph plus.  Trying to extend the length of the wave.  Not certain how much the bow ballast tank holds.

How to 'measure' boat set-up and get consistency in the wave with every outing given different boat loading of people and fuel?

The opening post of this thread is a great baseline for surfgate/wedge equipped boats.  Once we get our boats dialed in - measure it!  Download an App to your phone that measures pitch and roll on a X & Y axis and provides a number in degrees for each.  Find that perfect pitch and roll that meets your desires for wave length / height and adjust ballast and people each time out to hit those numbers.  There is no set it and forget it - too many variables each time on the water.

Our boat is still too new to us to say what our desired sweet spot it is, but we'll post numbers as we start to get everything dialed in.

Very curious to see other peoples numbers.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2022 at 8:03 PM, Never said:

How to 'measure' boat set-up and get consistency in the wave with every outing given different boat loading of people and fuel?

The opening post of this thread is a great baseline for surfgate/wedge equipped boats.  Once we get our boats dialed in - measure it!  Download an App to your phone that measures pitch and roll on a X & Y axis and provides a number in degrees for each.  Find that perfect pitch and roll that meets your desires for wave length / height and adjust ballast and people each time out to hit those numbers.  There is no set it and forget it - too many variables each time on the water.

Our boat is still too new to us to say what our desired sweet spot it is, but we'll post numbers as we start to get everything dialed in.

Very curious to see other peoples numbers.

I downloaded a clinometer app. I place it on floor center near the walkthrough.  On the goofy side about 10 degrees of pitch and 3.5-3.8 degrees of roll to surfside seems like a nice wave.  Wind water conditions and other items play a roll but that is where I am at as of now.  2022 25 lsv. 

• 4 months later...

For all the 22LSV owners, here’s my surf setup on my 2021 22LSV with the M5 engine, 2773 prop (15x13):

For Regular wave: Everything full (including PnP bags) except starboard reartanks at around 60%. Speed at 11mph. Same for goofy wave but boths rear tanks at around 90-100%. 400 lbs of leadbags in bow area and NO wedge.

we are normaly only 2-4 people on the boat (plus surfer). With 3 people in the boat one is sitting on driversseat, one on observer seat and third person is sitting on surfside. We found out that we really need no wedge for the best result. The 400lbs lead bags and pnp bags are doing their job perfectly. 

With this setup we get a meaty and powerful wave with a long and clean lip. 

54EEF520-56AE-4728-9789-C941F1EB6161.jpeg

371C1C26-F260-44E7-92CE-84BA0BE6C3F4.jpeg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, philnizz said:

For all the 22LSV owners, here’s my surf setup on my 2021 22LSV with the M5 engine, 2773 prop (15x13):

For Regular wave: Everything full (including PnP bags) except starboard reartanks at around 60%. Speed at 11mph. Same for goofy wave but boths rear tanks at around 90-100%. 400 lbs of leadbags in bow area and NO wedge.

we are normaly only 2-4 people on the boat (plus surfer). With 3 people in the boat one is sitting on driversseat, one on observer seat and third person is sitting on surfside. We found out that we really need no wedge for the best result. The 400lbs lead bags and pnp bags are doing their job perfectly. 

With this setup we get a meaty and powerful wave with a long and clean lip. 

54EEF520-56AE-4728-9789-C941F1EB6161.jpeg

371C1C26-F260-44E7-92CE-84BA0BE6C3F4.jpeg

Interesting that you prefer no wedge. I admit that I cant recall ever trying to surf without it.

Since I cant experiment for myself for another 4-5 months, any observation / theory on why or what changes / gets worse?  Lip? Push?  Is it simply the equivalent of too much stern weight?

• 6 months later...

Always tinkering to get the wave better! Right now with my A22 I have all tanks full, 550 PNP rear, PNP nose, and 150 lead up front. Has anybody tried a bag in the walkway? Running about 11 mph, wedge 3 for goofy. 11 wedge 3 or 4 for regular. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
NorCalSurfer

I feel I have my 21 LX pretty dialed in. I do all hard tanks full and port rear 550 lbs pnp full and about 20% filled in rear starboard pnp. I have 100 lbs lead in front observers compartment, 100 lbs battery compartment and 50 lbs in the  starboard helm. I run wedge at 3-4 and 11 mph for regular. I do wedge at 2-3 and 10.7 mph for goofy. Depending on rider skill on goofy I’ll take a little out of port pnp and add more to starboard pnp. But that usually isn’t necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s what seems to work best for my 2023 A24, M6, Acme 2805. I was Trying to run this boat similar to my 2019 A22. I’ve found it does better without additional bow weight. Maybe it’s because I’ve only got the 750 PNP bags or the M6 with a 17 inch prop is trying to push the rear up? There doesn’t seem to be much bow rise. Goofy wave is never an issue, it’s the regular that is fussy! So everything full, 150 lead under observers seat and peeps on the regular surf side, 11.5 wedge 4-5. 11.2 wedge 3 for goofy. 

Edited by teamerickson
  • Like 1
On 8/26/2023 at 8:35 PM, teamerickson said:

Here’s what seems to work best for my 2023 A24, M6, Acme 2805. I was Trying to run this boat similar to my 2019 A22. I’ve found it does better without additional bow weight. Maybe it’s because I’ve only got the 750 PNP bags or the M6 with a 17 inch prop is trying to push the rear up? There doesn’t seem to be much bow rise. Goofy wave is never an issue, it’s the regular that is fussy! So everything full, 150 lead under observers seat and peeps on the regular surf side, 11.5 wedge 4-5. 11.2 wedge 3 for goofy. 

The deeper freeboard and extra length make the boat not as susceptible to bow rise.  My T250 is the same compared to my buddy's 2019 T23.     

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Matt2364 said:

Does anyone run a different wave set-up/speed for surf versus skim style riders? If so, what changes do you make. 

Yes, the heavy skimmers want a more mellow wave.  So either subtract wedge or raise speed to plane out more.