Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf wave setup for SurfGate Equipped boats

Raimie

Nice!!!  I'm gonna try that 11.1.  I get a huge wake but its really short in length.  Pretty much use the same factory settings.  I went from 10.3 to 10.6.    Thanks for the tips!!!!

• 2 months later...

2013 23LSV. I’ve owned it a year and really struggle to get it set up.  Much of the time I don’t even have a wave and it’s very frustrating.

I have pnp bags in the back and stock otherwise. No lead in the front.  

how do you guys get the longer waves? I do sometimes get a wave but it’s very short and the rider feels like they’re really close to the boat.

any advice is appreciated!  

2 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

are you in less than 10 feet of water?

if you want longer you may have to supplement bow tank with lead or people 

I had about 400 lbs in the bow this weekend and still had issues.  I’ll try to go to deeper water next time out.  

1 minute ago, Tomd2013 said:

I had about 400 lbs in the bow this weekend and still had issues.  I’ll try to go to deeper water next time out.  

my twenty foot boat will create a surfable wave as low as 9 feet, you will need 10 plus ft, the deeper the better

also most start surfing at 9.8-10.4 mph  11+ is best, 

10 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

my twenty foot boat will create a surfable wave as low as 9 feet, you will need 10 plus ft, the deeper the better

also most start surfing at 9.8-10.4 mph  11+ is best, 

Ok.  Thank you.  

• Like 1
On 7/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, gregtay said:

<reposting from another thread but wanted the info pinned here for those looking for it>

2019 23LSV (should be the similar for the 2018 & 2020 MY)  My boat has the M6 turning a 2277

All tanks 100% + PnP WM580's @100%, wedge at Ramp, speed @ 11.1.  No additional bags/lead, no one in the bow. 

I have no doubt that the 23LSV can toss a bigger wave if you start adding more bags and led up front w/ more wedge but what you see below is the stock wave (using the config NWBU posted a few months ago.)  The photos of my wife surfing (she is 5'8") had only two people in the boat, myself (165#s) and my sister (maybe 110# wet.)  No additional weight.  For me this delivers on exactly what I wanted out of this new boat... hit a button and go surf with a great wave.  I was pretty frustrated for the 1st month I had the boat as I kept dialing up 10.3mph speed (because the default surf config is set at that speed so I took that to mean something.. silly me!)  But I finally took NWBU's config to the lake and magic happened   Wave is fantastic, lots of push, you can surf pretty far back without falling off, and plenty of height. 

EDIT: One additional note... the camera is placed on the transom almost level with the rear sundeck (so this isn't some trick shot with the camera down on the swim platform which can make any wave look huge.)  You can see the gopro mount in the shot I took of the boat while riding. The camera mounts on top of what you see (little black thing, look by the rear cupholder) so the top of the camera ends up being about level with the sundeck (I can see the camera from the drivers seat)

20190730_152039690_iOS.thumb.jpg.71a4d7b81862bdce37acf0b71440e83e.jpg

20190730_152109217_iOS.thumb.jpg.09da597800e2f4551930cfaa45740cd7.jpg

Finally have some drone footage of my wave to give you a different view in addition to the above photos.

Edited by gregtay

We are switching from the A20 to an m240. 

We found that in the A20 our best setup was for regular/port side wave:

Speed: 11.3

Ballast: All hard tanks full, 650 pnp in rear port 100%, ~10% rear strb, 500 pnp bow at 100%

Wedge (manual): deployed

This threw a great wave for a 20 foot boat.

My question is for the m240 what is the optimal setup. We demoed it and ran it at 11.6, wedge at 5, hard tanks full and found that the better wave came when we emptied the rearmost strb tank. Wave was amazing but I still feel like we could add a straightline bag and get an even larger wave. Thoughts?

We surf in 80+ feet of water, and I am ~215 lbs.

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2019 at 8:25 AM, Raimie said:

22-23’ (22VLX, 22LSV, 23LSV, M235, T22, T23, A22) – All hard tanks full, 500-650lbs in bow, 550-850 rear plug-n-play bags. Floating wedge deployed, PW position 3 or 4 (or 2- 3 clicks down from ramp)., or wedge stowed . Speed 10.8-11.6mph.

In regards to this setup, I have a 2015 VLX 22 with the stock front tank (350 pounds).  Does the recommended 500-650 pounds in the bow in addition to the 350 hard tank or total including the 350 hard tank (meaning add 150 - 300 pounds to the bow)?

Thanks!

On 10/29/2020 at 1:08 PM, jazzvancouver said:

In regards to this setup, I have a 2015 VLX 22 with the stock front tank (350 pounds).  Does the recommended 500-650 pounds in the bow in addition to the 350 hard tank or total including the 350 hard tank (meaning add 150 - 300 pounds to the bow)?

Thanks!

That is the total, so try adding 200-300.

• Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...

I‘ll be picking up my 2021 22LSV next week. It will come with hardtanks in rear, midship and bow from factory, power wedge and surfgate. I also have the the 475 plug and play bags from wakemakers and 250 lbs leadbags i plan to place in bow. Any recommendations for the best surf wave?

• 2 months later...

I have a 2014 a24 and I’m new to the boat and new to surfing I’m going out daily trying to figure out surf speed what gives me the best wave to carry me on the board different boards skim and surf I’ve got the 1100 pound bags in the rear and I’m filling up all bags in the boat but water is still coming over the top of the surf gate into the wave I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but I think I’m getting too much water over the top of the Surfgate Does anyone know how to prevent the water from coming over of the surf gate Usually I’ve been trying to set up with only want one person in the boat

Anyone have a picture of how far the surf gate is suppose to push out?  My old boat had a Mission Delta at 90 deg. to the side of the hull.  My new BU some out at like 15-20 degrees?   Just curious what everyone else sees.  It's a 2018 MLX 21.

thanks

• 4 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 7:30 AM, gregtay said:

<reposting from another thread but wanted the info pinned here for those looking for it>

2019 23LSV (should be the similar for the 2018 & 2020 MY)  My boat has the M6 turning a 2277

All tanks 100% + PnP WM580's @100%, wedge at Ramp, speed @ 11.1.  No additional bags/lead, no one in the bow. 

I have no doubt that the 23LSV can toss a bigger wave if you start adding more bags and led up front w/ more wedge but what you see below is the stock wave (using the config NWBU posted a few months ago.)  The photos of my wife surfing (she is 5'8") had only two people in the boat, myself (165#s) and my sister (maybe 110# wet.)  No additional weight.  For me this delivers on exactly what I wanted out of this new boat... hit a button and go surf with a great wave.  I was pretty frustrated for the 1st month I had the boat as I kept dialing up 10.3mph speed (because the default surf config is set at that speed so I took that to mean something.. silly me!)  But I finally took NWBU's config to the lake and magic happened   Wave is fantastic, lots of push, you can surf pretty far back without falling off, and plenty of height. 

EDIT: One additional note... the camera is placed on the transom almost level with the rear sundeck (so this isn't some trick shot with the camera down on the swim platform which can make any wave look huge.)  You can see the gopro mount in the shot I took of the boat while riding. The camera mounts on top of what you see (little black thing, look by the rear cupholder) so the top of the camera ends up being about level with the sundeck (I can see the camera from the drivers seat)

20190725_042719807_iOS.thumb.jpg.191b69f5a9d197ecd571cd037d49be22.jpg

Capture.thumb.JPG.bbe8dfc2e7349c6d9ee6b00e3a42b611.JPG

Hey Greg. What are 580’s? 580lb plug and play bags each side? 

• 1 month later...

Ok, I swear I see the term "ramp" position being used differently across this forum.  I thought that "ramp" position was wedge all the way down position.

But in the OP it says "2- 3 clicks down from ramp"  -  which seems to indicate that "ramp" is the fully up (most aggressive) position because that is the only position you can go down from.

So can someone clarify for me once and for all, is "ramp":

A. all the way up, most aggressive position (obviously I don't mean stowed, but just below stowed).

or

B. full down, least aggressive position

guage.png.99e80740006f8ac173da9ac66b3896e6.png

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 6:03 PM, Raimie said:

Underway

Can I get a photo of this?

Ive never been able to get a decent wave without having the gate deep that water wasn’t cascading over the top. I can see the pocket but they’re definitely below water level 

34 minutes ago, BarliBear said:

Can I get a photo of this?

Ive never been able to get a decent wave without having the gate deep that water wasn’t cascading over the top. I can see the pocket but they’re definitely below water level 

I can try with my GoPro but it will be a while. Water is 40 degrees

On 2/3/2022 at 10:19 PM, lake4life said:

Ok, I swear I see the term "ramp" position being used differently across this forum.  I thought that "ramp" position was wedge all the way down position.

But in the OP it says "2- 3 clicks down from ramp"  -  which seems to indicate that "ramp" is the fully up (most aggressive) position because that is the only position you can go down from.

So can someone clarify for me once and for all, is "ramp":

A. all the way up, most aggressive position (obviously I don't mean stowed, but just below stowed).

or

B. full down, least aggressive position

guage.png.99e80740006f8ac173da9ac66b3896e6.png

Lift is all the way down. Since there are now 3 generations of power wedge and slightly different positions across them, I would start with your pw in the middle setting. Also be sure to try it stowed. On my '18 T22 I ran it stowed for most people that were just cruising along in the pocket or learning .

19 hours ago, Raimie said:

Lift is all the way down. Since there are now 3 generations of power wedge and slightly different positions across them, I would start with your pw in the middle setting. Also be sure to try it stowed. On my '18 T22 I ran it stowed for most people that were just cruising along in the pocket or learning .

Thanks for the feedback but this still doesn’t answer the question- is “ramp position” least aggressive or most aggressive position?  I have first gen power wedge so I dont have a lift position.  It’s all drag for mine from least drag to most drag…. but what is ramp, least drag or most drag?  Maybe it doesn’t matter cause I’ll experiment anyway but still curious when I see it in discussions what it means.l for context.

59 minutes ago, lake4life said:

Thanks for the feedback but this still doesn’t answer the question- is “ramp position” least aggressive or most aggressive position?  I have first gen power wedge so I dont have a lift position.  It’s all drag for mine from least drag to most drag…. but what is ramp, least drag or most drag?  Maybe it doesn’t matter cause I’ll experiment anyway but still curious when I see it in discussions what it means.l for context.

Iirc, ramp is all the way down (least wedge) and vert is about halfway between all the way down and stow (most wedge/drag). 

• Like 2

Question for all.  Have you been told by your dealers not to go over 20mph with the PW in the lift position?  I was told by a dealer, not my current one, that you can rip the wedge off the boat fully loaded going over 20mph.  Just curious what others have been told. 

Never heard that. most wakeboarding happens at 22mph, and every promo malibu runs has wakeboarders talking about their favorite wedge settings.  I thi k my boat beeped at me when I had it down and hit 25mph transiting between favorite spots once.

• 1 month later...
Lukeskywalker

Greg Taylor what prop are you using? Wave looks amazing! We ran yesterday on river and the wave was pretty good. One thing we noticed was the face wasn't super smooth. Any suggestions? 

On 7/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, gregtay said:

20190725_042719807_iOS.thumb.jpg.191b69f5a9d197ecd571cd037d49be22.jpg

Capture.thumb.JPG.bbe8dfc2e7349c6d9ee6b00e3a42b611.JPG

Hi, I have an Axis A22 and my setup is very similar to yours and get a beautiful wave.  Question I have is what setting is your wedge in?  Ramp?  My adjustment are 1-6.  One being least amount of force and six being comparable to 1500# of downforce. Also, do you get a better surf side with your boat Like I do?  Goofy riders get a cleaner shaped wave.