Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf wave setup for SurfGate Equipped boats

Raimie

1. I Find in the M235 if I fill all tanks and plug and play bags  it sinks the gates and I have to put everyone in the bow .  So I have took my rear bags out . 
ahopkins22LSV
45 minutes ago, dreamlifeoc1 said:

What adjustments should be made when running in water less than 15 feet?

Find water at least 15’ deep. You displacing a ton of water to surf and that water needs depth below it to build the wave. Otherwise it will be short, straight and no push. 

We surf a lot in 10 ft water. Bow weight becomes more important. Also slow down a little. Under 10 ft it’s a no go. If you can stay in an area that bounces between 10an 15 ft it’s possible 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dreamlifeoc1 said:

What is a floating wedge?

floating wedge is a purely mechanical version that doesn't integrate with any of the onboard computer systems.  It is free floating in its arc behind the boat and is not adjustable.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, dreamlifeoc1 said:

When you say if your gates are completely underwater, do you mean when the boat is at rest?

Underway

On 7/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, dreamlifeoc1 said:

What adjustments should be made when running in water less than 15 feet?

I find with the 19 25LSV. It likes 18’ or more. Preferably 20+

• Like 2
On 7/7/2019 at 9:03 PM, Raimie said:

Underway

To add to that, when my boat is ballasted and just sitting in the water ready to take off, the surfgates have about 1/4-1/2" above the surface of the water, with the rest submerged. Underway, it looks like the gate is almost even with the water, but the main point of the comment was that it shouldn't be way under water.

Edited by Raimie

I wanted to share some feedback from playing with our setup over the last couple of weeks.  2015 23 LSV, LS3 motor, factory ballast, pnp bags in rear (750's - I think), bow triangle bag (probably 800-100#'s), Occasionally a walkway bag (700#) if we are low on crew size, surfgate, no wedge. 

We tried listing the boat a little bit per some of the suggestions and it really made the wave un-surfable.  Once we leveled the boat back out, things came back to "great".  I know that some have had lots of success with it, but ours was the cleanest and best wave when we kept the boat totally level.  Just wanted to share in case you were trying to work out your setup.

• Like 2

Interesting......

We are still playing with our 22VLX, but I agree that keeping the boat level seems to produce the best wave.  We REALLY need bow weight on the 22.  I always move about 400# of people up there and keep 150# of lead up there and it helps tremendously.  Generally, we run all stock hard tanks and PNP full and modify things with the wedge and speed.  It seems particularly sensitive to speed and wedge.  That said, we're only a handful of hours in surfing to have had much time to play with things......

9 hours ago, JeffK said:

I wanted to share some feedback from playing with our setup over the last couple of weeks.  2015 23 LSV, LS3 motor, factory ballast, pnp bags in rear (750's - I think), bow triangle bag (probably 800-100#'s), Occasionally a walkway bag (700#) if we are low on crew size, surfgate, no wedge. 

We tried listing the boat a little bit per some of the suggestions and it really made the wave un-surfable.  Once we leveled the boat back out, things came back to "great".  I know that some have had lots of success with it, but ours was the cleanest and best wave when we kept the boat totally level.  Just wanted to share in case you were trying to work out your setup.

The only listing we do is to compensate for a submerged gate, and by listing I mean move 1-2 people to the surf side, or drain a little on the non surf side.

a submerged gate will allow water to stream over to the surf side and disrupt the wave lip

@Raimie Doing my math , so the Malibu 20’s and 21’s have which size hard bow tank , 375?

im assuming that amount plus your 400-550 so 775- 925?? In the bow

i have a crew of 500 lead plus 140-195 lb driver , so 650-700 in cabin ,  will this necessitate emptying center?  I guess I could start empty and add it but is a 700 lb cabin crew large enough to subtract ( that’s 4 175 lb shredders) ?

willing to try to make surf driving easier , but I am expecting my fuel bill to go up barging instead of real listing  that seems to “slice” the water with hull more than just   Pushing it straight 

wife prefers her listed wave doesn't like  driving listed so I hope she joins in but usually doesn’t want her surf interrupted by experimenting 

AS INFO, I believe the new lower wedge position with more drag force stop hole on the auto set wedge made a positive difference in my wakeboard wake  and surf wave regular  and goofy 

we started subtracting for people we had recently and it did help a good bit 

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

@Raimie Doing my math , so the Malibu 20’s and 21’s have which size hard bow tank , 375?

im assuming that amount plus your 400-550 so 775- 925?? In the bow

I actually meant a total of 400-550lbs in the bow. I will edit the first post to clarify that. If equipped with the hard tank bow ballast, I would say to fill that and add a some lead weight or people up front to get the total weight in range.

I would run your center full, but consider draining your rear bags a bit and see what happens. If anything, drain your starboard bag to 50% when your wife is surfing the port side so she can have a better wave (Not necessary on the updated hull A20, but will help on your 2014). Where are your gates sitting in the water when the boat is at rest, but ready to go?

21 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I actually meant a total of 400-550lbs in the bow. I will edit the first post to clarify that. If equipped with the hard tank bow ballast, I would say to fill that and add a some lead weight or people up front to get the total weight in range.

I would run your center full, but consider draining your rear bags a bit and see what happens. If anything, drain your starboard bag to 50% when your wife is surfing the port side so she can have a better wave (Not necessary on the updated hull A20, but will help on your 2014). Where are your gates sitting in the water when the boat is at rest, but ready to go?

I will find out but listed it’s way out of the water, it’s the gate on surf side not deployed  thats way under snd causes it’s own very small wave disruption, my surf gate spray I still get heavy but control it some by steering in to the wave a little driving in an arc

my front mushroom/arrow bag is potentially 750-850 labeled  950 capacity but when not full  like your asking much of the weight  ends up in the walkway portion of bag,  

a few years back someone supposedly measure the Arrow bag contents into a bucket and measured it at no more than 460 lbs though I doubt that small measurement for such a massive bag  

I guess I could move 300 lead to join the 200 I have in bow and not fill front bag at all which will reduce the cabin weight and not necessitate a draining of center to compensate for 500 lead in cabin. now the only 200 left I can place on surf side I guess

Edited by granddaddy55
9 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I will find out but listed it’s way out of the water, it’s the gate on surf side not deployed  thats way under snd causes it’s own very small wave disruption, my surf gate spray I still get heavy but control it some by steering in to the wave a little driving in an arc

my front mushroom/arrow bag is potentially 750-850 labeled  950 capacity but when not full  like your asking much of the weight  ends up in the walkway portion of bag,  

a few years back someone supposedly measure the Arrow bag contents into a bucket and measured it at no more than 460 lbs though I doubt that small measurement for such a massive bag  

I guess I could move 300 lead to join the 200 I have in bow and not fill front bag at all which will reduce the cabin weight and not necessitate a draining of center to compensate for 500 lead in cabin. now the only 200 left I can place on surf side I guess

I would fill your front bag. I think it's too your advantage that it fills in the walkway area too. That would still be considered weight up-front IMO. You might be running a bit heavy on the lead for your boat. What size are your rear bags?

I don't remember the thread it was in, but several of us started experimenting with less weight (from 'slammed') and found that we were getting a great wave running less rpms.

Rears are 850(20x50x20) that can fill 800+,  planned on running them half or more full to simulate the 500

yea when bow bag full it’s weight everywhere bow and walkway , , 

so if that’s full then bow I have 750-800 plus 200 lead ( yes I can move lead back to cabin but that’s 700 plus driver in cabin

guess I’ll still run the 200 lead and bag loosely filled which means 650-700 plus lead

I'm definitely not heavy with lead when listing , lead is my crew (don’t have a crew just a driver) but now that I’m not listing maybe , I run non surf sac empty, just MLS when listing so I have 1200 total in rear plus wedge 1250, 900-950 cabin inc lead and driver and center tank snd 1000-1200 bow inc lead and bag 

so new set up will be 700each rear including stock MLS (200 per tank plus 500 in bag) or go 400 sac less than half ??? For 600 total 

wedge in bigger drag position 

640-700 cabin , 500 lead plus driver

no center tank then I’ll fill it after first try 

650-700 bow bag plus 200 lead 

So that’s 1200-1400 rear plus 1250 wedge? So rear drag 2450-2650

cabin and bow is 1500-1600

center tank  full then bow snd cabin 1900-2000  now this would be close to 60/40 (2450-2650/1900-2000)

we will also raise wedge at some point but with my boat that means 1/2  the push , after I fill the center with it down , I’ll put it up 

We forgot to deploy last weekend and I kept losing wave not knowing why

if I can get wife to play along I will film every wave combo and then do my way and we will hav vid comparisons 

Edited by granddaddy55

@granddaddy55 Ya, those 850 rear bags in a 20' boat are probably too much. I would try running the rears more like 550 and see what happens. Running that much in the rear requires you to run more in the front to offset it, I think you could get the same wave performance with less weight in general, saving you some $ on fuel.

2 hours ago, Raimie said:

@granddaddy55 Ya, those 850 rear bags in a 20' boat are probably too much. I would try running the rears more like 550 and see what happens. Running that much in the rear requires you to run more in the front to offset it, I think you could get the same wave performance with less weight in general, saving you some $ on fuel.

I’m gonna give this a shot cause setup and driving would be much much easier than setting up my list 

Haven’t really run more than 900-950 in both sacs listing cause only one side is full, other is mostly empty

you should see the wakeboard wake with both  not quite full, full MLS, 400 lead and driver in cabin and arrow bag full plus 300 lead in bow plus wedge,  I haven’t found the courage to ride it yet, maybe one day !

this experiment will be video’d, so there will be evidence and proof of the pudding

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...

<reposting from another thread but wanted the info pinned here for those looking for it>

2019 23LSV (should be the similar for the 2018 & 2020 MY)  My boat has the M6 turning a 2277

All tanks 100% + PnP WM580's @100%, wedge at Ramp, speed @ 11.1.  No additional bags/lead, no one in the bow. 

I have no doubt that the 23LSV can toss a bigger wave if you start adding more bags and led up front w/ more wedge but what you see below is the stock wave (using the config NWBU posted a few months ago.)  The photos of my wife surfing (she is 5'8") had only two people in the boat, myself (165#s) and my sister (maybe 110# wet.)  No additional weight.  For me this delivers on exactly what I wanted out of this new boat... hit a button and go surf with a great wave.  I was pretty frustrated for the 1st month I had the boat as I kept dialing up 10.3mph speed (because the default surf config is set at that speed so I took that to mean something.. silly me!)  But I finally took NWBU's config to the lake and magic happened   Wave is fantastic, lots of push, you can surf pretty far back without falling off, and plenty of height. 

EDIT: One additional note... the camera is placed on the transom almost level with the rear sundeck (so this isn't some trick shot with the camera down on the swim platform which can make any wave look huge.)  You can see the gopro mount in the shot I took of the boat while riding. The camera mounts on top of what you see (little black thing, look by the rear cupholder) so the top of the camera ends up being about level with the sundeck (I can see the camera from the drivers seat)

20190730_152039690_iOS.thumb.jpg.71a4d7b81862bdce37acf0b71440e83e.jpg

20190730_152109217_iOS.thumb.jpg.09da597800e2f4551930cfaa45740cd7.jpg

20190725_042719807_iOS.thumb.jpg.191b69f5a9d197ecd571cd037d49be22.jpg

Capture.thumb.JPG.bbe8dfc2e7349c6d9ee6b00e3a42b611.JPG

Edited by gregtay