Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 mxz 23 surf/ wakeboard wake

Lesslumpy

This is my first new boat in a long time, lots of electronics to learn . 1st couple runs no balest or wedge : port side lots of prop wash and steep/ starboard smooth ramp. Same for surf wake.

Rear port at 75% mid 30%  just about balanced. I'm suspecting the new 17" prop is affecting the wake. Didn't want to weigh it with lead from the old boar... Lift doesn't like the extra weight, also don't want to loose all the storage room for boards. If I do use a sac, can I use a PNP that works with the factory system?

The 17” prop does want to “torque” the boat over in my 25LSV more than I noticed on past boats.   I do run 250 lbs of lead to counter act it some when I have a lighter crew but can say as I load up full ballast and more people, it has been a non- issue for surfing.  You can easily get some lead in the boat without losing storage.

By the way, I am shocked a customer took delivery of a 2020 prior to the 4th of July as I always thought that was the normal week the factory switched over model years.  Congrats on the new boat, especially being a new model!

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

The 17” prop does want to “torque” the boat over in my 25LSV more than I noticed on past boats.   I do run 250 lbs of lead to counter act it some when I have a lighter crew but can say as I load up full ballast and more people, it has been a non- issue for surfing.  You can easily get some lead in the boat without losing storage.

By the way, I am shocked a customer took delivery of a 2020 prior to the 4th of July as I always thought that was the normal week the factory switched over model years.  Congrats on the new boat, especially being a new model!

Thanks, I stopped by the Malibu dealer right before he left for the dealer meeting, told him to get me the 1st one🙂.

The 25 must weight a bit more and with a longer hull (wake hull?) maybe lessons the prop wash. I was told that the new 23 mxz was 5400 dry, definitely going to have to weigh it now that my old lift that struggled with my 23 lsv, lifts the new one easier??? 

BF5E770C-5A4E-4E1A-BF65-99752547BC22.jpeg

82E958A3-D069-4432-8CFC-DD6F81C85843.jpeg

All of these boats need some tweaking to get the port side wave to be good, because of normal prop rotation. The 17" prop just makes it worse, as @hethj7 said.

You can compensate by dumping weight from the starboard side until it cleans up, or adding weight on the port side. I'd expect you'll find something in the 50-75% full range in the starboard tanks will help a lot on the port wave. Or 200-300 lbs of lead on the port side will do the trick too.

Play around with speed too once you load it up since factory settings are 10.6 but these boats seem to like 11-11.2 better.

I have a 2019 24 mxz and I keep a couple hundred pounds of lead underneath the seats in the observers department. It does help counteract the prop. I’m assuming it might even me more important in the 23 mxz. I’d say you’re getting washed out just because you don’t have it weighted properly. You have a brand new model, so this is purely assumption at this point, but I’d almost bet it was designed to be optimal at full ballasts with the plug n play bags installed. Then just fine tune with wedge and speed. I’d love to see some more wave pics after you get it dialed in