Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning boat carpet floor??

Could I please get some advice on cleaning boat carpet?   Mine is not bad but could use a little cleaning.

im trying to find method without screwing up the carpet with certain materials/liquids.  Also I’ve read if you power wash it, it might screw up the carpet glue or something.......  some said rent a steam cleaner....   

I do have a shop vac to suck up water......   just trying to find steps to clean and what materials..... dawn dish soap, simple green, etc....????

Thank you 

moski

I had good luck with warm water, dish soap, and vinegar. First vacuum the carpet clean, then take a hard bristled brush and scrub the floor with the soap solution. When you're done scrubbing, use a shop vac the best you can to dry out the carpet, then let it sit uncovered for a few hours in the sun. 

Similar to others I have done the following:

1. Flood carpet with a hose (no nozzle) you can do this sections at a time

2. Spray bottle mixture of regular (blue) Dawn dish soap

3. Scrub in with stiff brissle brush

4. Rinse with a spray nozzle (not power washer)

5. Rinse/Soap/Rinse Repeat... you would be amazed at the dirt that comes out.  Mine didn't even look that dirty and I had brown water running out of it.

6. Shop Vac (it takes most of the water out)

7. Dry in the sun.

I just wash everything into the bilge and just let it run out through the drain holes, you'll be cleaning your bilge at the same time

I have a commercial grade steam cleaner I use for a variety of things, and have used it on the boat carpet, but honestly Dawn Soap and some elbow grease works the best.

Edited by solorex

I just did mine on the weekend, rented a "rug doctor" and it worked great! Paid $40 for the day, did boat and two trucks. I was unaware of not using a pressure washer....I do all the time and maybe I should stop......

17 hours ago, mackie12 said:

I just did mine on the weekend, rented a "rug doctor" and it worked great! Paid $40 for the day, did boat and two trucks. I was unaware of not using a pressure washer....I do all the time and maybe I should stop......

Eh... the pressure washer isn't an absolute no... just don't want to blast it too hard.  Marine grade carpet is actually really durable.

• 3 years later...

The cleaning boat carpet will start with thoroughly vacuuming the carpet. With stubborn stains won’t budge. You can opt for spot remover or make a mixture of water and vinegar. Spot testing is essential when using a spot remover. Some may be too harsh and can damage rather than cleaning the carpets. On the other hand, water and vinegar have abilities to break down dirt and stain. This combination is also known for eliminating the foul and fishy smell. The bonus part is it doesn’t pose harm.

Edited by daltonn

Pressure wash, then diluted household cleaner (Fantastic, Simple Green) in hot water, scrub with a soft bristle brush, pressure wash to remove soapy water, wet vac, then air dry or use a fan to circulate air.  Your carpet will like like new again! Used this method on all 5 boats I owned.

On my snap out carpeting in my 2010, I used laundry soap, a stiff bristle plastic scrub brush on a broom handle and my Bissell carpet cleaner. I drown the carpet, scrub it by hand then rinse repeatedly 2-3 times. I would then squeegee the carpet with the backside of the brush and finish with the Bissell to suck it dry. Air dry it while I was working on the rest of the boat. I have read in a couple articles that soap residue is the worst thing for any carpet. The carpet was like new after 8 years and 1000+ hours. 

Pressure washer.  I haven't had an issue yet.  I would NOT do a steamer - a good steamer puts out real heat and that could mess with the glue.  I wouldn't use my steamer on the carpet.