Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

flip down step swim board and surf wake

texnky2

1 hour ago, Orangemxz said:

It affects it on my 2019 24 MXZ.  With that said we love the option and would get it again but compared to my friends 2018 24 MXZ with the same set up, same settings, same lake he gets a substantially better wave.  I will try to get pics but when loaded and surfing the deck and the brackets track a pretty heavy line of spray in the water.  This is the only conclusion we have come to for the differences in the wave on our MXZ's. Still a great wave but not as good as the 2018

So swap swim decks and verify. They will inner change on the boats, right?

On 6/30/2019 at 4:30 PM, Slurpee said:

It’s getting crowded on here. But this topic has been beat to death. The short answer is No. The surfgate that’s not deployed already ‘breaks’ the water flow and only spray is hitting the bracket. Folks who have the option really like it for its practicality it seems.

We did some videos on Ronnies boat this past spring showing that the brackets and the platform don’t drag in the water. Here’s the video. Sorry the production value is kind of lacking, but folks wanted an answer  

I confused, is this video supposed to prove its not dragging?  It looks like its dragging and creating a bit of spray.  Maybe not dragging in the clean smooth water but that wash is part of the wave and redirecting it could change things.  That is a lot closer than I would have expected and I usually list my boat a bit to get rid of the wash on the wave so it would probably be even more pronounced.

The video shows that the platform brackets do drag in the water a bit but do not effect the wave. The water stream that they create doesn't hit the face of the wave. The water stream from the gates carries the platform stream away from the face of the wave.

5 hours ago, vanamp said:

I confused, is this video supposed to prove its not dragging?  It looks like its dragging and creating a bit of spray.  Maybe not dragging in the clean smooth water but that wash is part of the wave and redirecting it could change things.  That is a lot closer than I would have expected and I usually list my boat a bit to get rid of the wash on the wave so it would probably be even more pronounced.

Over 80 hours of surfing with ours. It does not effect the wave or spray the rider at all. You do not know it is there while surfing no matter where you are on the wave.

64644538_10110042362486920_6500676355342

Edited by rsutton1223
On 8/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, Orangemxz said:

It affects it on my 2019 24 MXZ.  With that said we love the option and would get it again but compared to my friends 2018 24 MXZ with the same set up, same settings, same lake he gets a substantially better wave.  I will try to get pics but when loaded and surfing the deck and the brackets track a pretty heavy line of spray in the water.  This is the only conclusion we have come to for the differences in the wave on our MXZ's. Still a great wave but not as good as the 2018

Are you saying the swim step and brackets are both lower in the water on the 19 compared to the 18? What about prop, do you have the same prop?

I am thinking about upgrading the swim step on my early build 19 this winter but this would give me pause.

3 hours ago, rsutton1223 said:

Over 80 hours of surfing with ours. It does not effect the wave or spray the rider at all. You do not know it is there while surfing no matter where you are on the wave.

64644538_10110042362486920_6500676355342

Well if you have that much wash on your wave I see why you would not notice it.  You need to list that boat a bit on the regular side.  It won't effect transfers because the goofy wave is enhanced by the prop rotation. 

k3BbkJm.jpg

On 8/30/2019 at 7:05 PM, vanamp said:

Well if you have that much wash on your wave I see why you would not notice it.  You need to list that boat a bit on the regular side.  It won't effect transfers because the goofy wave is enhanced by the prop rotation. 

k3BbkJm.jpg

My wave is crazy clean. The wash you are seeing is from me. The platform does not effect the wave at all.

• 1 month later...

I recently demo'ed a 2020 23LSV, and this crease in the wave appeared to be coming directly from the bracket on the flip down swim step.  Thanks for posting that video though - the crease appears to be coming from the surf gate instead when you view from the gopro selfie stick.  Here's what I witnessed when I did my test drive - should have thought to record it like y'all did.

https://imgur.com/a/nS1qYYq

yeah - sorry - my bad - it wasn't allowing me to insert the image so I just posted the link.

Not trying to create drama regarding the wave - I love Malibu boats, and I'm really just trying to make my final decisions before I place my order for a new boat.  It wasn't just a swirl of bubbles, it was a definite crease in the top of the wave. 

6 hours ago, fletchtx said:

yeah - sorry - my bad - it wasn't allowing me to insert the image so I just posted the link.

Not trying to create drama regarding the wave - I love Malibu boats, and I'm really just trying to make my final decisions before I place my order for a new boat.  It wasn't just a swirl of bubbles, it was a definite crease in the top of the wave. 

Was there any weight in the bow?  Most dealers are not going to add extra bow weight for a demo but pretty much everyone does once they start to dial in their wave.  If it was a really rear heavy setup then it could have created a problem that might not be there in a normal setup with extra bow weight.

• 5 months later...
20 hours ago, gregtay said:

step.thumb.JPG.5694095013845d03a7eb3ed04495a971.JPG

The depth is perfect for kids and getting "semi" in the water.  It's one of the favorite features of the new boat.  Wouldn't buy one without the swim step moving forward.  +40 hrs of surfing and never seen any drag of the brackets.  

4 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

The depth is perfect for kids and getting "semi" in the water.  It's one of the favorite features of the new boat.  Wouldn't buy one without the swim step moving forward.  +40 hrs of surfing and never seen any drag of the brackets.  

Completely agree.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:16 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Can you give me a measurement from the top of the step to the top of the platform? 

• 3 years later...

Hey guys just wondering if the malibu swim step with the flip down step has the same mounting brackets, and can replace the 2022 Axis A24 swim step? If so, how would one go about obtain the step? Any thoughts on cost?