Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pump

It's been awhile since I've been on.  I have a 2003 Response Lxi, almost 500 hours, and have a question about oil pump and pressure. I've noticed that my oil pressure fluctuates down pretty low where the alarm will sound and then shoot up to above 60. It's not a consistent pressure reading.  The only time the alarm went off is during a long idle period while waiting for someone to gear up for a ski.  But when I'm running 32 mph for a long period of time the oil pressure doesn't stay constant. Is my oil pump going out? Is replacing an oil pump a major mechanical issue?  Thanks 

I could be wrong but I thought that for that model year the sender only gives pressure info to the dash gauge and a separate switch triggers the alarm (via the ECM.)  If the alarm is going off AND the sender is showing low pressure you may indeed have a problem with the pump.  The sending units are known to fail in this manner and it is a simple swap, just DO NOT use teflon tape on the threads.  Just bring the old one in to be sure but ask for the sender unit on a 1999 Chevy Suburban 350 and it will be a match (if yours is as pictured below.)

2r289lk.jpg