Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 Wakesetter VLX

Baylakefamily7

We are new to wakesurfing coming from a 2003 Malibu Sunsetter. We are wondering what the best ballast setup on a 21 Wakesetter VLX. We have the extra ballasts in back, currently we have been using the surf setup that comes preset with the boat. What would you guys suggest for the best surfing wave?

long-time lurker here...but I'll try and answer this.

Our boat = 2013 VLX with surfgate

Ballast setup:

all hard tanks filled

rear lockers pnp have 1 sumo sack each side = 600lbs

bow triangle bag on seats = 675lbs

wedge = 2 clicks up from bottom

speed = 11.0 or 11.2mph

wave height is nice and has a great, strong push - our main downside is we don't have as much length as i've seen with bigger boats.  

1 hour ago, moondog-sparky said:

Ballast setup:

all hard tanks filled

speed = 11.0 or 11.2mph

wave height is nice and has a great, strong push - our main downside is we don't have as much length as i've seen with bigger boats.  

Setup very much the same in 05. I have heard the newer models don't need as much bow weight but I could be way off. For me i go up to 1000lb in front for a long wave and list it a bit too even with a suck gate.

6 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Setup very much the same in 05. I have heard the newer models don't need as much bow weight but I could be way off. For me i go up to 1000lb in front for a long wave and list it a bit too even with a suck gate.

I have a '17 21 vlx and without a 650# bow bag you'll be looking at clouds from the driver seat and you'll struggle to hit 10.6mph. Factory prop-all hard tanks full. Two 550# PNP in the rear lockers and about 300# lead bags in the starboard compartment where the amps are. I rarely have more than 5 passengers on board so if you have a full boat YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

'11 VLX

Surf Right (Goofy) - speed 10.4, wedge 50%, factory ballast only - front 75%, center 50%, both rear 100%; Roswell wake shaper on non-surf side

Surf Left (Regular) - same with shaper on other side, increase speed/reduce wedge a little as needed

I have a 17 21' VLX.  I fill everything to the gills and have the wedge at one click.  Run between 10.8 - 11.3 based on how many people are in the boat.  Amazing surf for 21'.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, moondog-sparky said:

Ballast setup:

all hard tanks filled

speed = 11.0 or 11.2mph

I have dialed my wave with this set up except I have a 400 pound bag in front when smaller crew is onboard. If you get to three or four clicks from the bottom the speed slows down to 10.4. Works for us. Bow weight is key though. Just bought two 400 pound bags and if just the wife and kids we can put that one in the walkway. 

I have a ‘13 VLX as well. 

Edited by Elkinsa
Forgot the boat I have in the reply
  • 4 weeks later...

New this summer, 13' VLX too

Question on the extra bow weight, are you having trouble taking water over the nose from other boat's wakes?

Finally starting to get something decent and this thread helped.  two weeks ago got PnP 550s installed and finally staying full.

A week ago, stock 100%, 550s full, wedge all the way down, 11.0 for goofy.  Not good, totally washing over the surfgate.  3 adults and 2 small kids in the boat.  Moved 2 adults to bow, not fixed.  Put wedge in stow, was able to go.  Got phone call and day was over

Two days ago, stock 100%, 550 starboard full, 550 port half full(weeds stopped the pump), wedge stowed(mistakenly), upped to 11.2 for goofy.  only 3 adults total.   Was okay but not much push.  Realized we accidentally had the wedge stowed.  Put it fully down.  Big difference and not washing over the gate.  very short and steep.  Only had a couple minutes but felt much better

Yesterday, 100%, 550s full, wedge all the way down, 11.2 for goofy.  5 adults and one teenager.  Worked well for a buddy and his boy.    I thought it was too short so I had my dad move into the bow.  Would not call it long by any stretch but was better.  For the first time I was actually surfing!!!!

Edited by MNNewb
  • Like 1