Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bunk Lube


Nitrousbird

Recommended Posts

What is the best brand in terms of overall value, as pricing seems to be all over the board from my 10 seconds of research?

I have a Sweet Metal Products (SMP) trailer; they still make trailers but got out of the boat trailer business.  Build quality is decent; design for boat loading is garbage…known issue with these trailers.  Even put in super deep, you can’t float the boat to the bow roller; deep enough to do that and you’ll never get it loaded – I’ve tried that.  The bunk setup with a normal depth won’t center the boat – you have to hold a guide pole and try to center it. 

To further my issues, the boat sits between the fenders.  That was okay with the stock fenders/14” wheels.  With my 18” setup, there is barely any clearance on either side.  Pain to load onto the trailer every time.

So I think I found my solution.  I picked up very shallow and winched the boat on the last two times out.  All bunks were under water (front tips just barely) but it did the carpet screech, and a decent amount of cranking, to get up.  But the dang thing was perfectly centered. 

My thought is to us liquid bunks.  I want something that will reduce the friction to make it easier and nicer to the boat cranking onto the trailer.  I never, ever unhook the bow strap before being in the water, so falling off the trailer down the ramp is a non-issue.  I just want to ensure I’m being smart about which product I use, as I’m not familiar with this stuff.

Link to comment

I do a modified version of what your new procedure is.  Put the trailer in a little to shallow to float on.  Wife drives boat onto trailer, where it basically "beaches" on the bunks. put on winch strap.  Back the truck in another foot or two and float/drag the boat on with the winch.

how old is your bunk carpet?

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I do a modified version of what your new procedure is.  Put the trailer in a little to shallow to float on.  Wife drives boat onto trailer, where it basically "beaches" on the bunks. put on winch strap.  Back the truck in another foot or two and float/drag the boat on with the winch.

how old is your bunk carpet?

That move won't work for me as the rear will float and winching the rest of the way will not center it.  

Carpet is old and probably due to be replaced soon.

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

What is the best brand in terms of overall value, as pricing seems to be all over the board from my 10 seconds of research?

I have a Sweet Metal Products (SMP) trailer; they still make trailers but got out of the boat trailer business.  Build quality is decent; design for boat loading is garbage…known issue with these trailers.  Even put in super deep, you can’t float the boat to the bow roller; deep enough to do that and you’ll never get it loaded – I’ve tried that.  The bunk setup with a normal depth won’t center the boat – you have to hold a guide pole and try to center it. 

To further my issues, the boat sits between the fenders.  That was okay with the stock fenders/14” wheels.  With my 18” setup, there is barely any clearance on either side.  Pain to load onto the trailer every time.

So I think I found my solution.  I picked up very shallow and winched the boat on the last two times out.  All bunks were under water (front tips just barely) but it did the carpet screech, and a decent amount of cranking, to get up.  But the dang thing was perfectly centered. 

My thought is to us liquid bunks.  I want something that will reduce the friction to make it easier and nicer to the boat cranking onto the trailer.  I never, ever unhook the bow strap before being in the water, so falling off the trailer down the ramp is a non-issue.  I just want to ensure I’m being smart about which product I use, as I’m not familiar with this stuff.

I used this taking my boat out for the first time last year.  It made a huge difference getting the boat on and off the trailer.  I have a shallow launch so my boat would not slide off the trailer easily.  It is a pump spray so that was a PITA spraying the bunks compared to something you can find in an aerosol can.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

That move won't work for me as the rear will float and winching the rest of the way will not center it.  

Carpet is old and probably due to be replaced soon.

I'd need to see your trailer, but when I had that hull, even if we got on a little crooked by the first bump in the road the hull would center itself up.  

Link to comment
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

I'd need to see your trailer, but when I had that hull, even if we got on a little crooked by the first bump in the road the hull would center itself up.  

Won't center over bumps, tried on a long trip with the old fenders.  New fenders I can't as the boat would sit on top of it. 

Not really an opportunity to on my normal trips anyway, as I live exactly 2 miles from driveway to on the ramp, smooth roads and maxing out at 45 MPH for half of that drive (35 if I have the Bimini up).

Link to comment

Pledge dust spray is supposed to work awesome, though I'm not sure of its longevity.  If only the front half of your bunks are sticky, only spray that bit.

Link to comment

Try some silicone spray.  It shouldn't have a whole lot of environmental issues, and it will get things slick.

Or power load like I do....

 

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, justgary said:

Try some silicone spray.  It shouldn't have a whole lot of environmental issues, and it will get things slick.

Or power load like I do....

 

I ended up ordering MaryKate Liquid Rollers.  Price wasn't bad at $15 shipped.

Power loading isn't an option, as it would be a little too uncomfortable of a power load to get it where I want it.  I am hoping this will be a gentler experience - and ensure a nice, center boat on the trailer every time.  I'm doing everything I can to make going in/out as quick and easy as possible.

Link to comment

Use that silicon spray sparingly. I used one of the 'liquid roller' products years ago and the bunks were so slick that the boat slid forward while towing, slammed the bow eye into the bow roller and bent the attachment bolt. I ended up re-carpeting the bunks shortly thereafter.  

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...