Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Norm02

Need to re-carpet Trailer bunks

Norm02

It’s getting to be time to re-carpet the bunks on my trailer and I’m wondering if most people do that themselves or have someone else do it. If you do it yourself, what is your process?  

jk13

Measure bunks. Make new bunks to match. Launch boat and replace bunks. Ski and enjoy lake time. Load boat.

That’s what we did. 

Norm02
7 minutes ago, jk13 said:

Measure bunks. Make new bunks to match. Launch boat and replace bunks. Ski and enjoy lake time. Load boat.

That’s what we did. 

Right on.  I’m assuming you bought the wood from Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc?  Also, is there a type/brand of carpet that better than others? 

jk13

Yes, wood from HD. Carpet from your local marine dealer. Attwood is slightly thicker than SeaChoice. Or something rugged from HD or Menard's.

Stainless staples. I already owned a T50 air stapler from my installer days but they're only $35 or so. Our motto is buy the tool rather than pay the labor and you will always have it if you need it.

INCOPPNITO
32 minutes ago, Norm02 said:

Right on.  I’m assuming you bought the wood from Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc?  Also, is there a type/brand of carpet that better than others? 

Or your local lumber yard!  :thumbup:

FaithoverFear

If you haven't already purchased the lumber buy either pressure treated wood or redwood it will last longer and use carriage bolts

(countersunk) with lock nuts as lab bolts eventually will work themselves out.

Pnwrider
50 minutes ago, FaithoverFear said:

If you haven't already purchased the lumber buy either pressure treated wood or redwood it will last longer and use carriage bolts

(countersunk) with lock nuts as lab bolts eventually will work themselves out.

This thread is a year old...

FaithoverFear

Time flies,  its just in case somebody else might read it. Where is PNW ? 

Pnwrider

Seattle

Soon2BV

When I did my bunks, I only carpeted the top and sides and left the bottom uncovered.  It was way easier to install - I used carriage bolts down through the top and then covered the bunks. I also think this lets the wood drily faster, since the full wrap carpet is not holding the water.