Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need to re-carpet Trailer bunks

Norm02

It’s getting to be time to re-carpet the bunks on my trailer and I’m wondering if most people do that themselves or have someone else do it. If you do it yourself, what is your process?  

7 minutes ago, jk13 said:

Measure bunks. Make new bunks to match. Launch boat and replace bunks. Ski and enjoy lake time. Load boat.

That’s what we did. 

Right on.  I’m assuming you bought the wood from Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc?  Also, is there a type/brand of carpet that better than others? 

Yes, wood from HD. Carpet from your local marine dealer. Attwood is slightly thicker than SeaChoice. Or something rugged from HD or Menard's.

Stainless staples. I already owned a T50 air stapler from my installer days but they're only $35 or so. Our motto is buy the tool rather than pay the labor and you will always have it if you need it.

32 minutes ago, Norm02 said:

Right on.  I’m assuming you bought the wood from Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc?  Also, is there a type/brand of carpet that better than others? 

Or your local lumber yard!  :thumbup:

• 10 months later...

If you haven't already purchased the lumber buy either pressure treated wood or redwood it will last longer and use carriage bolts

(countersunk) with lock nuts as lab bolts eventually will work themselves out.

50 minutes ago, FaithoverFear said:

If you haven't already purchased the lumber buy either pressure treated wood or redwood it will last longer and use carriage bolts

(countersunk) with lock nuts as lab bolts eventually will work themselves out.

This thread is a year old...

When I did my bunks, I only carpeted the top and sides and left the bottom uncovered.  It was way easier to install - I used carriage bolts down through the top and then covered the bunks. I also think this lets the wood drily faster, since the full wrap carpet is not holding the water. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, Soon2BV said:

When I did my bunks, I only carpeted the top and sides and left the bottom uncovered.  It was way easier to install - I used carriage bolts down through the top and then covered the bunks. I also think this lets the wood drily faster, since the full wrap carpet is not holding the water. 

It also helps prevent the bunk support from rusting. I’ve seen the carpeted under bunks causing the supports on my trailer to rust. 

• Like 1

I'd recommend some research on buying treated lumber for this application- it can react poorly with certain hardware and steel bunk supports (Eats bolts and can cause corrosion on supports).  

It was only slight more expensive for me to go to my local lumber yard and buy redwood, which is working well.

I purchased my bunk cover fabric, stainless staples and even an electric stapler gun from Sailrite.  They are a provider of fabric materials and sewing equipment for the sailing community and had several tutorials on how to do it.  Their customer service picked up the phone right away when I kept jamming the electric stapler - operator error! 

Was a great value on the material and it has been performing very well for us the last year under heavy use.  

Edited by Pra4sno

When I did my bunks on my last trailer, I used the same wood.  I just removed the 3 layers of carpeting, flipped them over and spun them 180 degrees, so the holes did not match up and I could make new ones.  The wood was still very solid.