Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Circuit keeps tripping

Hi,

06 VLX

my ballast circuit keeps tripping so much so that I am unable to drain the tank. I recently replaced this pump (port drain) and it worked great in the garage, but now not working. I know the pumps works and I checked the connection. 

what is the next step to diagnose and fix ?

thanks!

I'm not a ballast kind of guy, but I think I'd check the following:

- Since it's an '06, clean and tighten every electrical connection under the dash (a generic term for every terminal board or fuse block or breaker panel you can find on the boat).

- Check for kinks, blockage, or other obstructions in the output hose.  I would do this by visually inspecting first, and then by replacing the pump with a garden hose to make sure the output is clear.

- If still no joy, swap the breaker with another one just to make sure that the breaker itself isn't weak.

- If still no joy, forget the ballast, buy a boom, and learn to barefoot (heh heh).

I recently had something similar...long story short it was a loose ground that checked good in the garage, but on the water would break the circuit.