Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 T23 regular surf side issue

wboardx20

Crew, just got a low hour 15’ t23 and it’s incredible. One small issue though, the regular surf side is awful. Goofy side is enormous. I’ve read this is the case in a lot of them. Looking for help on what I’m doing wrong? 650 bag in the front, all hard tanks full, 1000’s in each rear locker..I’ve played with several different set ups here and nothing works. Do I need substantial more lead weight? I’ve contemplated buying 850lbs and throwing it in the lead walkway to the bow. Looking for any and all suggestions...

How much wedge are you using? I deploy mine and just keep it there. Also, I’d try draining the rears as suggested above. 1,000x2 sounds like too much considering what you have in the bow/walkway. 

13 minutes ago, mikeyg said:

How much wedge are you using? I deploy mine and just keep it there. Also, I’d try draining the rears as suggested above. 1,000x2 sounds like too much considering what you have in the bow/walkway. 

I’ve tried it deployed and stowed. Only option on the 15’. I’ve tried several different weight distributions in the rear like Raime suggested and it’s still not comparable to the goofy side. 

52 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Drain the rears to 80% full and see how it looks, then drain your starboard bag to 50% to give the boat a slight list.

Gave this a shot tonight with the wedge deployed and stowed and still nothing. I’m wondering if I need to go even lower like 50% and then put starboard at 20% with wedge...

2 hours ago, wboardx20 said:

I’ve tried every speed from 9.8 to 11.8

10 hours ago, wboardx20 said:

Gave this a shot tonight with the wedge deployed and stowed and still nothing. I’m wondering if I need to go even lower like 50% and then put starboard at 20% with wedge...

I'd try 50% on the rears and 11.0

What does your typical crew consist of?

Try listing the stern completely with an almost empty opposite locker sac and full surf side or mostly full, but opposite side stock tank full, full surf and center tanks , r list the cabin weight/people to surf side  , and list the bow with additional people/weight like 3 people , wedge down

in other words , really list the boat 

Edited by granddaddy55
22 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I'd try 50% on the rears and 11.0

What does your typical crew consist of?

Largest I’ve had so far when surfing was 6. This was when I first got the boat so I didn’t try dialing it in as much. Just filled up the bow sack, hard tanks and rear lockers full and couldn’t come close to dropping the handle. I’m going to have a huge crew on the 4th, maybe around 10-12 people. This is where I’ll try a number of setups. Would be ideal to get to a point where I didn’t need all those people in the boat to get a solid wave. Even with just me in the boat and a moderate ballast setup the goofy side is out of control massive. Which is why I can’t figure out why there’s that much of a difference between the two

1 minute ago, wboardx20 said:

Largest I’ve had so far when surfing was 6. This was when I first got the boat so I didn’t try dialing it in as much. Just filled up the bow sack, hard tanks and rear lockers full and couldn’t come close to dropping the handle. I’m going to have a huge crew on the 4th, maybe around 10-12 people. This is where I’ll try a number of setups. Would be ideal to get to a point where I didn’t need all those people in the boat to get a solid wave. Even with just me in the boat and a moderate ballast setup the goofy side is out of control massive. Which is why I can’t figure out why there’s that much of a difference between the two

Keep in mind many T23 owners utilize 750 - 825lbs rear bags. Larger crews are great, but you will need less water ballast. If  your gates are under water, you have too much rear balance. Make sure your crew is balanced (some in bow, some in observers seat and some in rear).

And FWIW, on all Malibu/Axis boats, the goofy wave is better. It is a function of prop rotation.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Keep in mind many T23 owners utilize 750 - 825lbs rear bags. Larger crews are great, but you will need less water ballast. If  your gates are under water, you have too much rear balance. Make sure your crew is balanced (some in bow, some in observers seat and some in rear).

And FWIW, on all Malibu/Axis boats, the goofy wave is better. It is a function of prop rotation.

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it! I knew this was the case for all Malibu/Axis boats but couldn't figure out why. I'm going to try less in the rear bags and see what weight works best. Do you think getting a 750-800lb bag in the walkway could help for some lead weight when I don't have a ton of people in the boat? From all threads I've read(and there not being a ton on the t23) there can never be too much. 

1 hour ago, wboardx20 said:

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it! I knew this was the case for all Malibu/Axis boats but couldn't figure out why. I'm going to try less in the rear bags and see what weight works best. Do you think getting a 750-800lb bag in the walkway could help for some lead weight when I don't have a ton of people in the boat? From all threads I've read(and there not being a ton on the t23) there can never be too much. 

An additional 350lbs in the walkway would help out. I think 800lbs would be too much. More bow weight will lengthen your wave though, not necessarily make it taller.

1 minute ago, Raimie said:

An additional 350lbs in the walkway would help out. I think 800lbs would be too much. More bow weight will lengthen your wave though, not necessarily make it taller.

Sounds good. Will save me some money too at least. Going to stand on the swim platform and make sure the actuator is deploying fully as well this weekend. 

On 6/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, Raimie said:

Drain the rears to 80% full and see how it looks, then drain your starboard bag to 50% to give the boat a slight list.

Exactly. I have a 2015 T23. Your ratio of back to front weight is off. I put 900s in the back, a 650 in the front, hards full and 200 lbs of lead in the bow and that's about right. If you put more in the back, you gotta put more in the front.

That said, Goofy is always slightly better than regular on this boat. Nothing you can do about it. I think it's due to the direction the prop turns. 

On 6/27/2019 at 7:13 AM, granddaddy55 said:

Try listing the stern completely with an almost empty opposite locker sac and full surf side or mostly full, but opposite side stock tank full, full surf and center tanks , r list the cabin weight/people to surf side  , and list the bow with additional people/weight like 3 people , wedge down

in other words , really list the boat 

I've never had to do this with my 2015 T23 to get the regular wave almost as good as the goofy wave. I just hit "fill everything", put 200 lbs of steel/lead in the bow, and encourage people to sit fairly forward in the boat. 

15 hours ago, SomeYeahoo said:

I've never had to do this with my 2015 T23 to get the regular wave almost as good as the goofy wave. I just hit "fill everything", put 200 lbs of steel/lead in the bow, and encourage people to sit fairly forward in the boat. 

I think having a lot of bow and lead weight is key. What size bags do you have in the rear lockers?

Exactly. I have a 2015 T23. Your ratio of back to front weight is off. I put 900s in the back, a 650 in the front, hards full and 200 lbs of lead in the bow and that's about right. If you put more in the back, you gotta put more in the front.

That said, Goofy is always slightly better than regular on this boat. Nothing you can do about it. I think it's due to the direction the prop turns. 

Sorry, didn't see this before! Thanks for the info I appreciate it. 

Do you have the wedge deployed or stowed?

On 7/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, wboardx20 said:

Do you have the wedge deployed or stowed?

Deployed. If I have a lot of people and am at 7000 feet, I leave it up because the 409 engine can't keep me at surf speed. But otherwise, it's almost always down.