Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter ignition replace question

My 97 Sunsetter key is just spinning and some times keeps starter on.  I have not pulled it out yet and figuring it may just be loose on the back as I can tighten by hand and its slightly better.  What I am wondering is if I will need to just replace the ignition switch, is there a certain part number or brand or just a generic on amazon etc?  I was thinking to order one so I have it when I pull it apart if I cant fix the existing one.

3 hours ago, foreste1 said:

just spinning and some times keeps starter on

Tighten it with a wrench.  And if it keeps the starter on, maybe you are putting the key in upside down?  (Don't ask me how I know)

Had to laugh at that Eagleboy, I think the thing has flipped upside down (Ignition) and then the key is keeping the starter on.  I will take it out completely and reinstall it and make sure its tight, thanks also formulaben, that way I can get one on its way if needed.   It works fine as long as I turn on and back key back a little and its good.

Before you tighten I would look under the dash and make sure it hasn't spun completely around.  Get it back straight and tighten it up, can't hurt to try.  If yours has the rubber cover then pull it off and gently take some channel locks to tighten it up snug, and even if you mark up the threaded cylinder the rubber cover will hide it.

Pretty sure the wire on the bottom should be purple in color if memory serves. I changed mine a few weeks ago. Also another way to tell is the key teeth point down.....at least on my 98 and dads 02 that is the case.

On mine there were 4 purple wires, the larger orange wire was at the starboard side (3 o'clock looking forward.)  If you do swap the switch make sure you take a couple pictures of the wires before you remove them. ;)

• Like 1