Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004, 2005, 2006 Damper Plate Failure?

2004, 2005, 2006 Damper Plate Failure?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Has your 2004 - 2006 Damper plate failed? At how many hours did it fail?

• My 2004 has not failed
    • My 2004 has failed
    • My 2005 has not failed
    • My 2005 has failed
    • My 2006 has not failed
    • My 2006 has failed

Had it go out on me this summer on my new to me 2015 23 LSV with just under 400 hours.  This happened on our second trip to the lake with it.  The local dealership was awesome.  They had it fixed in three weeks; right after they fixed the same thing on a 2007.  They advised that their best guess as for why it failed was that the previous owner was harder on it than he let on.  Whatever the reason for the failure, it sucked!

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine come apart on my 2004 LSV with the 340 monsoon at close to 700 hrs this past summer. Busted a hole in my bell housing and cut wires/ hoses etc. The afternoon before it happened I could here a faint ticking noise. I know my boat pretty well and didn’t think much of it. Boy was I wrong. In the process of fixing it if anyone had any tips or things the replace while I have it apart! Thanks 

05 VLX with 350 hrs...no issues.   I always thought running too much ballast could be the culprit...like putting race slicks on a stock car.

However, I just got a pair of 750 bags for this year....

I have a ‘97 VLX and the damper plate broke at about 900 hours. No surfing but heavily weighted at times. The splined collar on the plate broke. Half welds and half ripped metal. No bell housing issues

• 3 years later...
17 hours ago, Urbnredneck said:

2004 Response. 1409 hours. Mine just let go. 

Bummer.  Lot's of resources on here for fixing yourself.  Much rarer on the D-Drives for sure.

Feel free to ask questions if ya need help.

My 2004 RLxi transmission quit. In replacing noticed original plate had lost springs but no peripheral damages 

this was at approximately 1700 hrs