Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004, 2005, 2006 Damper Plate Failure?

2004, 2005, 2006 Damper Plate Failure?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Has your 2004 - 2006 Damper plate failed? At how many hours did it fail?

• My 2004 has not failed
    • My 2004 has failed
    • My 2005 has not failed
    • My 2005 has failed
    • My 2006 has not failed
    • My 2006 has failed

There has been lots of discussion on this lately but no data.  So please add your experience and the number of hours on your boat at failure or if no failure then the current hours on the boat.  THANKS!

45 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

My inlaws lxi 2004 has about 1000 hours, however it has a black scorpion - so I wonder if the same issue existed when the boat had a merc engine and trans.

I think this is an Indmar-only problem.  Further, I believe it only impacts the GEN-I SBC, so the LS1 and Big Block are not impacted.  

I have replaced many and have not really found a good reason why they fail. I have seen some fail with 300 hours and some with 1000 hours. Obviously surfing with allot of weight is hard on them. When replacing always buy the HD version.

• 2 months later...

2004.  Replaced the engine (bought the boat with a cracked block), went ahead and installed a new damper plate since it was open and thought I could do some preventative maintenance.  Used the original bell housing.  No such luck damper plate let go at a little over 100 hours on the new engine.  

Replaced the Bell housing and the damper plate, 300+ happy engine hours on the new bell housing and damper plate.

2 neighbors, ( @minnmarker can you add their results to the poll, they are not members here), 2005 VLX damper plate failed on new boat under 100 hours.  Replaced Bell housing and damper plate.  No further issues.

2005 LSV Damper plate let go approx 250 hours.  Replaced just damper plate.  2nd damper plate let go and took put bell housing 150-200 hours approx.  Replaced bell housing and damper plate.  No further issues.

3 boats in the same cove.

Edited by blk93jeepzj
correction

I believe that this was a V-Drive only issue.  At the time there were 2 different bell housing one with a top mount starter hole and one with a bottom mount starter hole.  The new part number is a replacement for both as they merged them into one part.

20 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Are the '03's exempt from this problem?  I'm at 600 hrs, so far, so good.

No boat is truly exempt from a damper plate failure, it's mechanical and could fail.  However, from late 2004-early 2006 there seems to be a higher failure rate on V-Drive boats.  

• 4 months later...