Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

? about single axle trailers

shiftman

I found a 2008 21 foot V-Ride that I like but it comes with a Malibu single axle trailer. Most towboats that I see are equipped with double axle trailers. I'm sure the "single axle" is a cost saving measure, but is the trailer anything to be concerned about? Thanks.

Pros and cons both ways, but I don't think its anything to be "concerned with".  Plenty of boats out there on one axle, but it could depend on how much you're towing.  Two axles makes me feel a lot better when we load up with gear and drive for several hours.  

I also have a Vride with an (aftermarket) single axle trailer. After coming from dual axle trailers on my former lighter io boats.

Pros: maneuverability, lightweight, lower maintenance costs.

Cons; increased tongue weight and balancing issues (Suv I use is fwd and v6 doing me no favors), fewer failovers.

I'd say a lot of it depends on how often and how far you plan to use the trailer. If you're driving hours at a time at high speeds many times, the single axle gives me more concern. If you're 5-20 miles from your launch, I'd be less concerned. If, you just need it for winter storage and occasional maintenance, no worries.

I have my 21'  Sunsetter LX on a single axle.  I'm about to buy a new trailer for it, and it will be a single axle.  Make sure you have six lug hubs and load range D or E tires (preferably E). 

I prefer the old fashioned greased hubs with bearing buddies for caps so I can add a shot of grease when they need it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it, but the single axle gives your boat a rougher ride, any pot holes will be fully transferred to the boat instead of half way supported by the other wheel.

I pulled a 21.6' v drive for eight years and never had any issues. I did not pull many miles. Two to 500 miles a year. Some with a mid size SUV. I will say my trailer had very nice brakes and I often tried to make my trips in a lower traffic condition. I now have a smaller boat A DD R lxi and chose the single axle as I do not trailer much anymore. You could do like me, live on a lake! ;)  But for me its a much better trailer for moving around the garages. I pulled a Bass boat 21' for years on a single axle. I do have ans like dual axle trailers for other toys and find them a bit more stable with heavy loads. Those get many more miles.

We pull our single axle to beaver lake, ~ 4 hours each way, every year for the past at least 4. No issues, like anything, as long as you keep it maintained....good tires and greases bearings. I’ve also pulled and double and agree...Tongue weight is better and the ride is smoother but maneuvering is not near as easy. The axles constantly fight unless going straight. 

You’ll be good either way, I like the look of a double better...😢  

Tandems tend to get more flat tyres. The front tyre flicks up nails etc and second tyre runs over them.  Agree with others singles easier to move, tandems better straight line, more ability to load up the boat with stuff and I think better looking 

• Like 1

I agree with everything said above.  I had a single axle for the Echelon, and now have a double.  It is brutal trying to manually put that double trailer anywhere, no matter how flat the concrete is or how strong I think I am, if it is more that like a 5 degree turn to move it, it simply will not move.  Not that it doesn't turn, it just doesn't move, until I create less of an angle.  Then I have to go back and forwards over and over to get it where I want it.  However, the double pulls so much nicer, but then again my old trailer was a steel Elite single axle, and the new double is an aluminum beam one built for a boat twice as heavy as mine, so there's that.

I've actually considered trading the double for a single, FWIW.

3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I agree with everything said above.  I had a single axle for the Echelon, and now have a double.  It is brutal trying to manually put that double trailer anywhere, no matter how flat the concrete is or how strong I think I am, if it is more that like a 5 degree turn to move it, it simply will not move.  Not that it doesn't turn, it just doesn't move, until I create less of an angle.  Then I have to go back and forwards over and over to get it where I want it.  However, the double pulls so much nicer, but then again my old trailer was a steel Elite single axle, and the new double is an aluminum beam one built for a boat twice as heavy as mine, so there's that.

I've actually considered trading the double for a single, FWIW.

Hmmm, Maybe I should buy your aluminum tandem...

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

From TEXAS?

Shoot, if it's short and narrow enough, I'll buy it.  I'm having a heck of a time finding one around here.

I'm actually ready to just buy steel C-rail and weld my own trailer up, then haul it to Mobile to get galvanized.  In a lot of ways, much simpler for me.

21 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

From TEXAS?

19 hours ago, justgary said:

Shoot, if it's short and narrow enough, I'll buy it.  I'm having a heck of a time finding one around here.

I'm actually ready to just buy steel C-rail and weld my own trailer up, then haul it to Mobile to get galvanized.  In a lot of ways, much simpler for me.

Yes, I’m interested 

Sorry to mislead guys, I've considered it, but that's about it, I'm keeping it.  It's probably go with the boat if/when I make a change someday.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:18 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

My friend who is a dealer is talking to them for me.  I don't think they can make an aluminum one short enough.  And then there's that prop cage. 

By the way, they are about 7.5 hours from me (one way).  I could get to Loudon, TN in the same time. 

20 minutes ago, justgary said:

Even the small one is several feet too long....

You mean the Loadrite?  The smallest will take an 18-19 footer (17'1" eye-to-transom).  You got a Ski Tique or something?

Mine is a Loadrite, specs are:

weight 1,300lbs.  5,200lb carrying capacity   mfr 8/9/2013 

Tires ST205/75/D14C, Rims 14x5-1/2J 

Model LR-ASKI22T5200102TB1

It's a little big, but really not too bad.  Obviously way over capacity for my boat, which is a great feeling.  Side by side with the old Elite trailer, for comparison.

57e52fa2b7f71_2016Winterstoragecompressed.thumb.jpg.841274af7e5dd3e7d85e1971fa407ffd.jpg58062550d5765_2016winterstorage2compressed.thumb.jpg.9abb7ac75b5f8eba26d64be8a1878bf4.jpg1816618555_2017endofseasonontrailer5.thumb.jpg.f4fba9f18df2b738631b8a6d90c82465.jpg

• Like 1

I think you are missing the point.  It has to fit in my storage space.  It is really hard to find an aluminum trailer that is short enough since they always build them with extended tongues (because they don't want to bend the metal too far).  They also don't bend the struts down more than about 3" for the same reason.  That causes issues with the tracking fins unless you stack the bunks high, which then causes issues loading and unloading.

My existing trailer has a 72" frame, 18' 10" transom to bow eye, and only 33" from bow eye to trailer ball, for an overall length of under 21' 6".

@shiftman what's the use case?  Cross country trips?  Any long haul?  Or are you just running to the lake 10 miles away 8 or 10 times a season?

My dad has an '01 VLX on a single axle trailer.  The '08 V-ride is effectively the same boat.  It tows beautifully as long as you keep fresh tires on it.  He's blown out both tires (originals from '01 that never get used) in the past three years because he didn't listen to me about replacing them... :)

His use case is, unless dealer intervention is required, just a simple 10 mile tow to and from the lakehouse once a year.  If frequent trips of 2 hours or greater at highway speeds were in the cards, a tandem would be better.