Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06' vride ballast

kaneryan

hey guys,

Just recently purchased a 2006 Vride.
previously owned a Moomba outback Direct Drive and it sucked for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

i had the highfly fatseat ( big u shape ) to go around the engine, however it took up all the room in the boat and definatly wasnt convinient. in saying that it was 1500lbs but i recon we only ever filled it to 1350-1400lbs max. in addition we had about 6 people in the boat

did it have enough push for surfing... No

So now having just purchased the Vride which has the 500lbs factory hard tank mid ballast, and the 2x 250lbs hard tanks in each rear locker. and a power wedge is that enough to surf with the stock ballast?
noting my moomba experience i also have 2x 550lbs sacs i got real cheap so im thinking of running them ontop of the hard tanks in the back lockers of the Vride so that would be

800lbs in each rear locker (1600lbs) and 500lbs centre stock = 2100lbs all up. do you think thats enough to get a solid push?
i currently dont have anything for the bow at the moment but i will use humans until we dial it in and i can sus out what a good weight is up front.

plus getting wakemakers bags sent over to Australia is about $80usd in shipping plus our conversion to the USD sucks haha.

reason im asking all of this is its currently winter and havnt taken the boat out yet ( waiting for a sunny weekend that isnt raining or windy )

i just want to be set up as much as possible before taking it out rather than a whole bunch of trial and error and dissapoint everyone when it could be avoided if i gather the appropriate gear before hand.

i know there is a wealth of knowledge on here and why try and reinvent the wheel :)

Thanks in Advance

Trash the rear hard tanks and run bigger bags.  I have the same hull and run Fly High 1100's back there (they will not fully fill but will take up the whole locker when full). 

I also run an under seat bag under the port seat (about 300lbs), mid-ship bag like your mid tank (500), and under seat front bag (about 300).  I also have 100lbs of lead stuffed in the nose.  Another 100 hidden on each side between the interior and hull in front of the rear bags.  Then another 200 to move around, though typically lives under the bow filler cushion.  

So about 3400lbs total ballast, all hidden and plumbed because pumps over the side is ghetto and sucks. Also run a suck gate and floating wedge.  

Just do it right the first time.  Will end up costing less and you will be happier with the boat.

3400lbs of ballast... jeez is that including Passangers?
i might be comparing it to my Moomba but that seems heaps?

does the boat look like its going to sink?

realistically what can our hull? the VLX and v-ride hold?
would you say you have calculated a comfortable weight or maximum weight you like to run :  ballast weight + people = ????
not including fuel tank and gear, fuel tank 290-300 lbs and gear what 100lbs ( towels, bags, boards, beers )

On 6/25/2019 at 12:45 AM, kaneryan said:

3400lbs of ballast... jeez is that including Passangers?
i might be comparing it to my Moomba but that seems heaps?

does the boat look like its going to sink?

realistically what can our hull? the VLX and v-ride hold?
would you say you have calculated a comfortable weight or maximum weight you like to run :  ballast weight + people = ????
not including fuel tank and gear, fuel tank 290-300 lbs and gear what 100lbs ( towels, bags, boards, beers )

That's all ballast, not including passengers/gear.  

At rest she is still above the rub rail, when moving the rear rub rails are well under water.

I typically have a smaller crew, but will run this setup with about 1000lbs of passengers and gear if we have a bigger group coming. 

Tank is 35 gallons, so fuel weight full is only 220lbs. 

Use the bags you have on top the full stock in the back. Add 400lb bag in the walkway. Get a wakeshaper (otherwise fill 1 rear side and put additional bag on seat of surf side). You will have to play with wedge and speed.

so ended up going out ont he weekend.

had stock MLS full

450-500lbs bag on port side rear locker ontop of MLS hard tank

500lbs bag on the bow seat.

6 people in the boat

DIY wake shaper

just couldnt quite go ropless. the guys surfing said at times they could feel they almost had it but just wasnt enough.

thoughts about this,

we ran out of light and i would have liked to put the bow bag in the stbd rear locker but didnt have time.

i found the wedge mad ethe wave bigger but didnt really affect the push of the wake.

i feel like i need to run both 500lbs bags in the rear lockers above the hard tank mls and buy another sac to put up front.

what do you guys recon?

Same year and same model boat, pull the tanks.   put a 750 in each rear locker.   fill them full.  fill the midship and throw a 550 in the front.   wake shaper on the side.  10.6 for goofy, 11.2 for regular.   wedge all the way down gives you a tall less forgiving wave.  wedge up give you a nice long pocket that is very forgiving.    I surf this set up every weekend on my boat with just my wife and 5 and 9 year old.   No issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, NCVride said:

Same year and same model boat, pull the tanks.   put a 750 in each rear locker.   fill them full.  fill the midship and throw a 550 in the front.   wake shaper on the side.  10.6 for goofy, 11.2 for regular.   wedge all the way down gives you a tall less forgiving wave.  wedge up give you a nice long pocket that is very forgiving.    I surf this set up every weekend on my boat with just my wife and 5 and 9 year old.   No issues.

What wake shaper do you have?

I have a 02 vlx so same hull. My setup is pretty much identical to @Nitrousbird but I only have 200lbs of lead in the bow and no under seat bags.

Ditch the hard tanks in the back and go to 1100's. The bow weight depends on how deep your normal crew is. My bow is either full of coolers or that's where the wives hang out so don't need the bags under the seats just the lead.  

9 hours ago, cowwboy said:

I have a 02 vlx so same hull. My setup is pretty much identical to @Nitrousbird but I only have 200lbs of lead in the bow and no under seat bags.

Ditch the hard tanks in the back and go to 1100's. The bow weight depends on how deep your normal crew is. My bow is either full of coolers or that's where the wives hang out so don't need the bags under the seats just the lead.  

I disagree with the need for weight up front.  I'm actually going to start experimenting with more bow weight.  I've been liking 11 - 11.2MPH now (any faster just ruins the wave), and am trying to get my wave longer without sacrificing height much.  I'm going to have someone go up front this weekend (as no one ever rides up there) and see the impact while riding.  Any decent impact and I may sacrifice 100lbs of my rear hidden lead to up front - I'm not willing to add more weight to the boat over 500lbs.

16 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I disagree with the need for weight up front.  I'm actually going to start experimenting with more bow weight.  I've been liking 11 - 11.2MPH now (any faster just ruins the wave), and am trying to get my wave longer without sacrificing height much.  I'm going to have someone go up front this weekend (as no one ever rides up there) and see the impact while riding.  Any decent impact and I may sacrifice 100lbs of my rear hidden lead to up front - I'm not willing to add more weight to the boat over 500lbs.

How much weight do you intend on having in the bow? You are running 600lbs already. 
Also in my situation I normally have one soft side cooler and at least two ladies or kids in the bow.  

8 hours ago, cowwboy said:

How much weight do you intend on having in the bow? You are running 600lbs already. 
Also in my situation I normally have one soft side cooler and at least two ladies or kids in the bow.  

Maybe another 100lbs.  I usually have a soft side cooler either in the bow or in the walkway to it.  No one ever rides up there.

Couple example pics I got from vacation a month ago.  Only person on the boat was the driver.  No coolers, extra gear, etc. as it was just an early morning run with a buddy.  The wave is a little longer now as I run it a bit faster and doesn't impact height much.  For reference, I'm 6'3", so no wave looks tall on me.  

Surfing-3.jpg
Surfing-2.jpg

• Like 2
On 7/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, Norm02 said:

Made my own about 2 years ago.  It’s a suck gate style.   Nothing fancy and have about $10 in it.  It was going to be my prototype but it worked so well I never remade it.    Used input from a lot of the guys on here when the mission first came out.  There is a whole bunch of guys on here that made their own.   

If I bought one tomorrow I’d probably go with Mission Delta(I have tried a buddy’s on my boat and got the same results as my homemade, no better wave.). 

If you need help dialing things in shoot me a PM, it hits my email but posts on here don’t so I don’t always see them. 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, Norm02 said:

Made my own about 2 years ago.  It’s a suck gate style.   Nothing fancy and have about $10 in it.  It was going to be my prototype but it worked so well I never remade it.    Used input from a lot of the guys on here when the mission first came out.  There is a whole bunch of guys on here that made their own.   

If I bought one tomorrow I’d probably go with Mission Delta(I have tried a buddy’s on my boat and got the same results as my homemade, no better wave.). 

If you’ve got the push, rear weight is going to increase your wave height.  Bow weight will lengthen the pocket to an extent.   Drop the wedge down and it’s going to make the wave taller.  

Some guys like a stomach to chest high wave....I’m not one of those guys, so I don’t always ride with the wedge down. Dropping my wedge almost doubles the height of my wave.     

I’d rather have a longer clean pocket than a chest high wave with less pocket.   

If you need help dialing things in shoot me a PM, it hits my email but posts on here don’t so I don’t always see them. 

29 minutes ago, dkscism said:

https://www.shapethewake.com/collections/all

I’ve seen a few posts from @Nitrousbird about using this wake shaper. I can agree that this works great for me. Same hull as your Vride. Hard to beat for $80

Exactly.  Works great and for the price there is no reason to make your own.

• Like 1

I've been debating about building my own but this one looks pretty good at $80 vs $400 from the bigger names.  Almost not worth the time to build my own at that price point.  Just ordered one.  

1 hour ago, Cazan said:

I've been debating about building my own but this one looks pretty good at $80 vs $400 from the bigger names.  Almost not worth the time to build my own at that price point.  Just ordered one.  

And unless you have a 3D printer, yours won't look as nice.  It isn't fancy but works.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:04 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Couple example pics I got from vacation a month ago.  Only person on the boat was the driver.  No coolers, extra gear, etc. as it was just an early morning run with a buddy.  The wave is a little longer now as I run it a bit faster and doesn't impact height much.  For reference, I'm 6'3", so no wave looks tall on me.  

Surfing-3.jpg

Wow!  That's a lot higher/longer than mine with a similar hull.  I have the same bags/placement.   I'll have to fill up my 1100s (only about 3/4 full so far) and have everyone sit on the surfer side.  Hopefully, that will do it - or close.

19 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Wow!  That's a lot higher/longer than mine with a similar hull.  I have the same bags/placement.   I'll have to fill up my 1100s (only about 3/4 full so far) and have everyone sit on the surfer side.  Hopefully, that will do it - or close.

You have a V25 hull, which is capable of a better wave than the SV23 discussed here.  Do you have lead?  It makes the difference.

24 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

You have a V25 hull, which is capable of a better wave than the SV23 discussed here.  Do you have lead?  It makes the difference.

Yes, I have bags of steel shot.  240 lbs total but I am only using 80 in the bow side compartments.  We also slalom ski and moving that many shot bags around is a pain.  Perhaps I need to get less lazy or get a visiting wake guru!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Trash the rear hard tanks and run bigger bags.  I have the same hull and run Fly High 1100's back there (they will not fully fill but will take up the whole locker when full). 

I also run an under seat bag under the port seat (about 300lbs), mid-ship bag like your mid tank (500), and under seat front bag (about 300).  I also have 100lbs of lead stuffed in the nose.  Another 100 hidden on each side between the interior and hull in front of the rear bags.  Then another 200 to move around, though typically lives under the bow filler cushion.  

So about 3400lbs total ballast, all hidden and plumbed because pumps over the side is ghetto and sucks. Also run a suck gate and floating wedge.  

Just do it right the first time.  Will end up costing less and you will be happier with the boat.

What prop are you running with this setup and what engine? thanks  I have a 2012 vlx and trying to get my wave nice with lots of push, I run full mls including front tank. 2 750s in the rear a 400 on port seat and a 155 up front and a mission delta 2.0 but couldn't get the speed past 10 with a 1235 prop 350 monsoon so I ended up dumping the starboard 750 and rear hard tank and ran listed with the delta and it was good just trying to get better with a little less list. usually just the wife the kid 5yr old and myself out unless we have friends out.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:53 PM, SRB said:

What prop are you running with this setup and what engine? thanks  I have a 2012 vlx and trying to get my wave nice with lots of push, I run full mls including front tank. 2 750s in the rear a 400 on port seat and a 155 up front and a mission delta 2.0 but couldn't get the speed past 10 with a 1235 prop 350 monsoon so I ended up dumping the starboard 750 and rear hard tank and ran listed with the delta and it was good just trying to get better with a little less list. usually just the wife the kid 5yr old and myself out unless we have friends out.

2775 on small lakes.  2249 on the bigger lakes.  I prefer the 2249 overall for my boat.  LS1 engine.