Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spark plug gap

Im replacing the plugs in my 01 Monsoon. The Indmar manual says .045".

I have read on some of the forums that people are using .060"

What are you running?

I use .044. My gap guage has a .044 "wire" and a .048 "wire". Nothing in between. I figure 1/1000 of an inch isn't gonna hurt much.

EDIT: missed it by a decimal place Crazy.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

Let's take this one step further.

Has anyone used a plug other than AC Delco? I see Champion makes an RS12YC which is supposed to be the same plug.

Just curious....

We've only had our '00 SLXi since last September. I replaced all the plugs when we bought it because they were the original plugs. Our local NAPA had the OEM plugs and I didn't see any reason to change at that point since I could get the OEM version easily.

NGK BPR6EFS (Gapped at 0.045 per Indmar specification) Monsoon.

There's a post in the Technical Projects area that lists all of the maintenance parts I use.

mark, I just put that Champion plug in you asked about. When I pulled my old ones, that's what they were, so I got the same. Gapped perfectly out of the box and work fine.

Why would someone use .060 if the manual calls for .045?

The larger gap will require more voltage to jump the gap and therefore be a larger spark. Some people will say this will cause a better burn in the cylinder, others will say this will shorten the plug and ignition coil's life.

I say, do what Indmar tells you to do. There won't be any noticeable gain in power due to a larger gap.

I would stay with the NGK and .045 gap. As PP stated it would take more voltage from the coil and shorten its life. With that said, newer cars have a larger spark plug gap but they also have a coil for each cyl. thous the coil has time to cool down between firing and recharge.