Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow triangle repair?

isellacuras

I have a sumo 650 triangle and someone 🥴 left my pump on and it blew the top vent port where the port fitting (black part) is attached to the bag. Is that possible to fix or is it time to order a new bag?  If it can possibly be fixed, what type of glue would you use? I was thinking I could take a small pick or screwdriver and push some glue in there. 

5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The bags are usually PVC, hypalon etc.  so this:  https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?id=2345897&path=-1|294|2345895  Like fixing a Zodiac.

A patch would be an easy fix. Concern I have is it’s not a hole in the bag or a seam. It leaks where the plastic fitting piece mates to the bag. I guess it’s worth a shot to repair. I’ve got a week in Shasta in a couple of weeks so I think I’m gonna order a new bag just in case. If the repair holds, i guess I can return new bag. 

• 1 year later...

@isellacuras How did your repair attempt turn out? I have the same bag with the exact same problem. I have the triangle bag under the bow seats in my 2012 A20 with a right-angle flow-rite connector on it. I suppose the pressure of the bag when 100% put too much stress on the glued in fitting on the top of the bag (pressed up against the bottom of the seat cushion). It now has a steady leak around that fitting, which causes the bag to leak about half of it's water out within about 30-60 minutes.

Can't use the bag now the way it is, so I'm open to attempting to repair it. I suspect the path forward will be to completely remove the fitting, then clean away the existing adhesive from both the bag and the fitting before attempting to reattach.

Cheers

6 hours ago, JackTHX said:

@isellacuras How did your repair attempt turn out? I have the same bag with the exact same problem. I have the triangle bag under the bow seats in my 2012 A20 with a right-angle flow-rite connector on it. I suppose the pressure of the bag when 100% put too much stress on the glued in fitting on the top of the bag (pressed up against the bottom of the seat cushion). It now has a steady leak around that fitting, which causes the bag to leak about half of it's water out within about 30-60 minutes.

Can't use the bag now the way it is, so I'm open to attempting to repair it. I suspect the path forward will be to completely remove the fitting, then clean away the existing adhesive from both the bag and the fitting before attempting to reattach.

Cheers

I just bought a new one. 

On 8/9/2020 at 7:56 PM, JackTHX said:

Cheers

I had the same happen to my 750 sumo bow bag.  My leak was steady but not much volume (a bit more than a pinhole.) I used some patch glue that comes with the bag.  It is holding up so far, but only a couple trips after repair.  I'm guessing it will be the weak link should the bag get overfilled again, so not sure how long this ghetto patch will hold?

i used 3M 4200 to fix one of my rear bags that this happened to and it works great now.  ugly because i used a liberal amount to make sure it didn't happen again, but a cheap fix with something i already had laying around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 2:43 PM, jtryon said:

i used 3M 4200 to fix one of my rear bags that this happened to and it works great now.  ugly because i used a liberal amount to make sure it didn't happen again, but a cheap fix with something i already had laying around.

did you put it on inside between vinyl  snd plastic port or just on outside 

18 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

did you put it on inside between vinyl  snd plastic port or just on outside 

just on the outside.  the port attaches from the inside on mine, so i held it up to where half of it had separated from the bag while applying the 4200.  then once it dried i applied a second coating, going even farther out around the whole port and it's been great since.

44 minutes ago, jtryon said:

just on the outside.  the port attaches from the inside on mine, so i held it up to where half of it had separated from the bag while applying the 4200.  then once it dried i applied a second coating, going even farther out around the whole port and it's been great since.

just used some 5200 on mine today and cancelled my 850 sumo sac order,  i break em by filling very very full in an a20 locker and plugging the thru hulls to hold pressure ( full cure for 5200 is 7 days and i doubt we will wait and not use it this weekend though) did you wait 7 days

fixing 1 and replacing another missing duckbills in my traps for plumbing as well so i may stop plugging to relieve pressure on bag and just let em deflate some

i have filled mine to full with no leaks so far but haven't pushed it until they're overflowing out of the vents, so i'd just monitor it when you fill the first time.  with the 4200 fast cure i waited barely 24 hours, so i bet you'll be fine.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 10:41 AM, jtryon said:

i have filled mine to full with no leaks so far but haven't pushed it until they're overflowing out of the vents, so i'd just monitor it when you fill the first time.  with the 4200 fast cure i waited barely 24 hours, so i bet you'll be fine.

my 5200 repair still leaked, not bad enough to ruin a day on water but bag was slightly deflated but bilge water was high so just ordered new 850 from buy wake with free 2 day shipping (GA and Tx close to LA) and used the crew discount.  this black sumo 850 bag went up to 199 from 189 at all online websites this week, should have ordered last week , so i got it for 179, last week would have been 171 with crew discount

you can find grey ones for 169 but i wanted to match, guessing less used port bag (we surf more goofy than regular) will go next season

i find the life span if filling completely these bags the drain snd vent ports at bottom of bag only go 3-4 yrs until they leak.  

Edited by granddaddy55

fly hi bag seems to be much more robust at the ports.  My sumo triangle leaked.  Replaced it with the fly hi that we used to run as supplemental bow ballast on top of the seats (now just use lead) and haven't had a drop of water come out of the fly hi.  My conclusion?  sumo sacs are junk.

• Like 1

PVC is a heat weldable material.  It takes some practice but must repairs can be done with a heat welder (high power hair dryer) like a Leister or chinese knock off..  I've rewelded multiple bags over the years.  The membrane can be welded to hard PVC plastic also which is how they are manufactured.  I did flat PVC membrane roofing for years which is just a thicker membrane than ballast bags.........heat welding is a much stronger solution than any glue......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tracktor said:

PVC is a heat weldable material.  It takes some practice but must repairs can be done with a heat welder (high power hair dryer) like a Leister or chinese knock off..  I've rewelded multiple bags over the years.  The membrane can be welded to hard PVC plastic also which is how they are manufactured.  I did flat PVC membrane roofing for years which is just a thicker membrane than ballast bags.........heat welding is a much stronger solution than any glue......

so your saying detach the port completely, clean bag and port flange completely then heat weld,  i have that roof and it gets laid down clean new material to clean material

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

fly hi bag seems to be much more robust at the ports.  My sumo triangle leaked.  Replaced it with the fly hi that we used to run as supplemental bow ballast on top of the seats (now just use lead) and haven't had a drop of water come out of the fly hi.  My conclusion?  sumo sacs are junk.

so you run fly high in the rear lockers,  are they rectangles, what size do you run and how do they fit in locker?

19 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

so you run fly high in the rear lockers,  are they rectangles, what size do you run and how do they fit in locker?

I still have sumos in the back.  On the bow triangle, given the tight area where the bag goes, the filled bag exerts (or can) some twisting forces on the drain, fill and vent ports.  Those ports aren't glued up so good, and they begin to leak over time.  Fly Hi seems to be more robust in that regard.

In my rear lockers, given the mounting positions of the drain/fill/vent ports, those forces aren't as prevalent.  I still wish we'd have gone with 600s instead of 900s, but the sumos are doing fine in the rear lockers.

• Like 1