Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

no hour meter

OhTwoBu

Good day TMC.  How does one find the hours on a 2002 with no hour meter?  My dash is medalian gauges, speedo, and a PP 6.5Ng multiline display.  Does that device have the ability to find it?  The user manual doesn't seem to have anything indicating it does.  This boat has been a faithful friend over the last 7 years i've had it, but i've never actually seen the hours, just told about 400 ish when i got it in 2012.

Typically it's the Menu Button + Up Arrow at the same time. Should take you to a system page where you can adjust a few settings (Kdw, NN, etc). Engine hours should be in there. Maybe under System Info. Good Luck!

56 minutes ago, OhTwoBu said:

on the PP display?  I'll have to dig into the rabbit hole a bit more.  It's a multiline v6.5

There is an hours under System Info; but this is not an authentic hour provider (unlike the ecu) as it was set and could have been reset from the Perfect Pass setup. 

ok I'll have to try that and report back.  If it's not pulling the data from the ecu, where is it pulling it from?  As for the history of the PP setup, I'm unsure when the entirety of the setup was installed.  It had a single-line display with the malibu tach which died in 2013, which is when I put in the multiline display.  is the hour data somehow imported into the PP module and then it keeps it's own count from there?  If that is the case i guess it would depend on that initial loading being accurate.  

Hour data is kept on the PP master module.  I don't believe it accounts for engine running vs off as long as PP is powered on.  It's entered when you install the software.  6.5 did not exist when your boat was new so whatever is on your master module is whatever runtime you've accumulated plus whatever the installer set the hours to when 6.5 was installed.

Best way is hook engine to dealer computer.

22 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Hour data is kept on the PP master module.  I don't believe it accounts for engine running vs off as long as PP is powered on.  It's entered when you install the software.  6.5 did not exist when your boat was new so whatever is on your master module is whatever runtime you've accumulated plus whatever the installer set the hours to when 6.5 was installed.

Best way is hook engine to dealer computer.

PP should account for running versus PP on; That would create quite the disparity really quickly as I often setup my run before running; and my hours have been in sync.

is the hour data somehow imported into the PP module and then it keeps it's own count from there?  If that is the case i guess it would depend on that initial loading being accurate.  

When you install a perfect pass master module, the first thing it asks you for is hours. Some with nefarious, fraudulent intentions (or because they didn't want to deal with it at the time) could have left it at a lower number.

2 minutes ago, smileysteve said:

PP should account for running versus PP on; That would create quite the disparity really quickly as I often setup my run before running; and my hours have been in sync.

When you install a perfect pass master module, the first thing it asks you for is hours. Some with nefarious, fraudulent intentions (or because they didn't want to deal with it at the time) could have left it at a lower number.

Ok, I belive i understand.  Hopefully it doesn't count when it isn't running.  When i switched my display, I didn't change the master module.  PP sent a new chip that I had to put in the existing module to allow the new multiline to talk to the old module.  I don't remember if it asked for hours or not when i did that install as it was several years ago.  I also don't know if changing that chip would cause a reset of the hours in the master module or if that is kept deeper in the architecture. Like y'all have said, perhaps a trip to a dealer is in order to get the actual hours, then i can do a hard reset of the PP system and re-enter the hours if there is a descrepancy?

menu button + up arrow, then systems menu, that was indeed where it is for someone without a factory hour meter and PP.   thanks guys. 487 hours.  that is, if the initial hour load when the module was installed, was correct.