Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Axis T22 Surf setup

Mattonspeclake

Has anyone really dialed in their T22?

I have installed a 655lb pnp bow sac. 2 - 750lb stern sac’s and 200lbs of steel shot under the observers storage locker. 

We fill all factory tanks and pnp sacks. Wedge at 2 or 3. 

Speed between 10.8 and 11.3

The Port side wave is short, but high. 

The Starboard wave is perfect. Tons of push.

Malibu said to run 60% rear and 40% front   

Im almost thinking we do not need the rear sack even 1/2 full. Or the Powerwedge stowed.

Looking for a long, mellow wave with lots of push and pocket. 

No one in our boat is at Pro level or even close.

I have the same boat and don't use the wedge.  My opinion is the wedge just burns gas and makes the wave worse. Many will say wedge is the best thing ever and I'm dumb but give it a shot for yourself.  I have 100lbs. lead on our surf side (port) and 200 - 250 of lead in the bow two bags stashed by battery one stuffed in the front and a few extra bags the we move around to tweak things. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ojrDh0L73YSh8qW-o01ZK_MOEDeF0-K8/view?usp=drivesdk

7 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

I have installed a 655lb pnp bow sac. 2 - 750lb stern sac’s and 200lbs of steel shot under the observers storage locker. 

Im almost thinking we do not need the rear sack even 1/2 full. Or the Powerwedge stowed.

Same setup I use. Wedge stowed or at 3 or 4. ...

First pic is wedge 3, second is stowed, last is 4

DSC_0228.JPG

IMG_20180830_185609688_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180830_185850185_HDR.jpg

Edited by Raimie
11 hours ago, vanamp said:

I have the same boat and don't use the wedge.  My opinion is the wedge just burns gas and makes the wave worse. Many will say wedge is the best thing ever and I'm dumb but give it a shot for yourself.  I have 100lbs. lead on our surf side (port) and 200 - 250 of lead in the bow two bags stashed by battery one stuffed in the front and a few extra bags the we move around to tweak things. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ojrDh0L73YSh8qW-o01ZK_MOEDeF0-K8/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for the video! Doomswell Neo? We’re trying to decide between that or the Phase 5 Swell. Looking to add a surf style board. What speed do you run at? 

8 hours ago, Raimie said:

Same setup I use. Wedge stowed or at 3 or 4. ...

First pic is wedge 3, second is stowed, last is 4

DSC_0228.JPG

IMG_20180830_185609688_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180830_185850185_HDR.jpg

Thanks Raimie.  What speed do you typically run at?

15 hours ago, daylorb said:

I had this issue on my 23 LSV - the rear sacs were better at 500 for port unless there was much, much more in the bow.  I'm guessing similar situation.

Thanks Daylorb. It does seem like my boat wants more bow weight. Definitely helps to get on plane. 

58 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks for the video! Doomswell Neo? We’re trying to decide between that or the Phase 5 Swell. Looking to add a surf style board. What speed do you run at? 

The board in that video was the larger sized Doomswell neo (I think 56").  I was not a fan of it because it felt like I had to be way too front foot heavy to gain speed.  At times I had almost all my weight on the front foot and still felt like I needed more to get it driving forward.

My wife and I normally ride and prefer the P5 swell.  We have both sizes and I rider the larger size.  I ride with a quad fin setup using the smaller 3D fins instead of the larger stock fins the larger size board comes with.

I am 6'1" 200lbs. The blunt nose boards tend to favor larger riders since they ride like a longer board and will ride revert a little better (if you can fight off the fins long enough).  I have a wide stance so even if I wlere to drop into the weight range of the shorter board I'll probably stick with the larger board. 

We vary the speed quite a bit to change the wave.  We usually start the season 10.8 - 11.2 and as we get back into surfing shape increase the speed.   I like the lip of the wave better at faster speeds but its more work to keep up. 

15 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks Daylorb. It does seem like my boat wants more bow weight. Definitely helps to get on plane. 

If the wave is short and the sweet spot is close to the boat, then it is bow weight.  I've sacked out my A24 to the max but my 23 didn't need to be full and the wave was really good.

We have a 2018 T22 with the factor installed 550 lbs PnP bags in the rear lockers and a Wakemakers 440 lbs bow bag.  We bought the boat specifically for wakesurfing, and we have not been disappointed with it.

We typically adjust our setup as required based on the number of people that are on the boat and the shape of the wave that we want to enjoy that day.  Don't be afraid to play with the wedge, speed, and amount of ballast that you're using.  When there's a small number of people on the boat (2-4 not including surfer), we typically run full rear ballast and either a partial fill on the bow bag or even no bow bag.  With the bow bag empty, the wave is steeper, but it is shorter.  Add bow weight, and the wave gets longer while losing some steepness.  You probably know this. 

We usually set the wedge in the 2-3 range, but again it just depends on how the weight is distributed and how steep you would like the wave to be.  Our surf speeds are usually in the 10.8 to 11.2 mph range. 

I'm really considering buying some lead weight to match Raimie's setup, because I keep hearing that it is really dialed in.  I may order the Wakemakers larger rear bags too.

Have fun with it, and don't be afraid to experiment.  What works for some may not work for you depending on how the weight is distributed on your boat. 

Edited by SurfNAZ
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Banderson said:

Maxed out, wedge down, with additional lead?

Full ballast, 250# lead in bow, 200# Iead on surf side and a few extra bags for tweaking. 

No wedge, we don't like it for surfing. 

I did add 200 lbs of lead to my current setup, which I placed all the way to the front in the forward observer's compartment.  This did help with the port side surf wave.  Overall, I have noticed on my T22 that adding weight towards the bow seems to improve the wave (at least to my liking).  In my previous post I wasn't always running bow ballast, but my opinion has changed since then.  I always run the bow full now in order to increase the length of my wave.

I have ordered Wakemakers 865 lbs bags for the rear lockers (I currently have 550 lbs bags).  They should be here by the end of July, and I ordered some more lead to move around (most likely in the bow).  Not sure how much this will help, as I can bury my surf gates now with only the 550 lbs bags (some say this is a bad thing).

I was out today (A22, though) and I also ride a Doomswell Neo (4'6"). We run 440lb bag up front but also have two 47lb batteries up there, so we essentially have 534lbs in the bow. I also have about 100lbs of miscellaneous added weight in the observer's storage area. Then we fill all hard tanks and rear sacks (750 each), set the PW at 3 most of the time (I'm the main surfer) and run about 11.2 mph. I used to run PW at 1-2 with everything else the same as listed above but since I bought the Neo, it seems to like the push from PW at 3 a bit better. With added crew, though, we can't have everyone in back or we face the moon, the wave becomes short and steep and the engine has to work too hard, so we try and lower rear ballast weight with extra crew.

But with that setup, I have no problem with that board being fast enough for me (5'10, 170) or the wave on either side (port side is still better, though). The board is super responsive and lightweight, so it has a higher ceiling than I ever will.

Went out a couple more times last week, but I failed to take any pictures.

On Tuesday running 550 lbs bags in rear lockers, there were only 3 people (2 on boat, 1 on water), the cleanest wave was achieved with 100 lbs of lead all the way forward in the observer's compartment and 100 lbs of lead in the bow (50 lbs on each side sitting on top of the seats against the seat backs.  We ran with PW at level 2 and approximately 10.8 - 11 mph. 

On Saturday running my new 865 lbs Wakemakers bag in rear lockers, there were 6 people (5 on boat, 1 on water),  I had a clean wave placing all of the lead exactly the same as before and by slightly listing to the surf side by reducing the amount of water in the opposite rear locker.  Again, I ran around 11 mph +/- 0.2 mph and with PW 1-2. 

I was worried that the 865 lbs bags would either screw up the wave or make it too difficult to get on plane.  My concern was for naught, as the new bags really seemed to improve the wave.  I can't wait to see what happens when I add some more ballast to the center area or bow.  I'm hoping that more weight in the front will lengthen the wave more without decreasing the steepness of the wave.  Lead Wake shows that 270 lbs are sitting on my doorstep, and I have a 4 day trip planned during the week of the July 6th.  I'll report back then, if anyone is still interested.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:17 PM, Mattonspeclake said:

Have 2016 with floating wedge and our wave is fantastic

Fill everything — 550’s rear, triangle sack under bow (doesn’t fill without raising seats, 580 sack on across now seats (use the windscreen for support), wedge released, + 4-8 adults 

adjust speed (10.6-11.2) & rear weight depending on how many adults and where they’re sitting, running an oddball prop 14.75x15.5, rpm 3600-3900 depending on load

Regular wave is long & tall, goofy is crazy good

On 6/30/2020 at 9:38 AM, lasik said:

Have 2016 with floating wedge and our wave is fantastic

Fill everything — 550’s rear, triangle sack under bow (doesn’t fill without raising seats, 580 sack on across now seats (use the windscreen for support), wedge released, + 4-8 adults 

adjust speed (10.6-11.2) & rear weight depending on how many adults and where they’re sitting, running an oddball prop 14.75x15.5, rpm 3600-3900 depending on load

Regular wave is long & tall, goofy is crazy good

Do you have the 350? How does that prop do for cruising ?  I run a similar set up but with 900 ‘ s usually don’t fill the all the way unles I have a bunch of people to put in the bow . But looking to swap my prop 

Had an awesome 4 day lake trip last week and played around with my wave settings.  I had a larger than normal crew aboard for the trip with 7 people.  I was running a 2277 prop at approximately 2,100 ft above sea level.  With the load on the boat, I think I should have run my 2773 prop, but with proper tweaking, I was able to get a wave that was pretty enjoyable.

Settings were:

• Rear port side full (Wakemakers 865 bag)
  • Rear starboard side approximately 1/3-1/2 full (865 bag)
  • Center tank full
  • Bow bag full (Wakemakers 440)
  • 100 lbs lead in nose of bow under bow bag
  • 100 lbs lead in bow against helm (50 each side)
  • 200 lbs lead all the way forward in observers compartment
  • Wedge 3
  • Speed approximately 11 mph
  • 1-2 people in bow really made it nice and sweet!

Surfing at dusk 7-8-2020.JPG

Surf wave 7-9-2020.JPG

• Like 2
On 7/5/2020 at 6:29 PM, smuurph84 said:

Do you have the 350? How does that prop do for cruising ?  I run a similar set up but with 900 ‘ s usually don’t fill the all the way unles I have a bunch of people to put in the bow . But looking to swap my prop 

Yes have 350 and believe the 1.72 transmission.

This prop is way better than the 1235 it came with.  If cruising to a cove 3700-4000 rpm gets us 24-26mph.  Depends on how many guests.  This past week entire extended family joined us, 13-15 on the boat everyday.  Didn’t need much weight in the rears & 3 teenagers up front but filled bow & center and surfed 10.8 at 4,000 rpm with a great wave.  Was seeing how far back I could drift before recovering and it was deep.