Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with smaller tow vehicle options

Asmodeus2112

The current Grand Cherokee is a very capable tow vehicle.  Mine is the EcoDiesel, and is not my primary tow vehicle, but I wouldn't think twice about using it on a long haul.

If you go with the Colorado, I would stay away from the diesel - it is underpowered.  A buddy of mine who is in construction has one.  He likes it for the MPG, and he tows a 14' enclosed trailer.  He is sure the trailer is less than 5000 pounds, and the Colorado struggles with it.  He used to go back and forth to TX for a job, and he stopped using the Colorado for that because one trip, with a stiff headwind, he could barely maintain 65 MPH.  And outside of the diesel, his has had significant problems - enough that he tried to get it bought back.  All vehicles have problems.  Chevy and his dealer have done a terrible job of handling his, which would make me steer clear of them.

And, as a side note, personally I am not sure if someone with a 4x2 truck is qualified to lecture anyone on what a "REAL" truck is......:Tease3:

fullsizeoutput_133a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i put my 06 vlx on the scale with a full tank of fuel but no other gear.  if i recall correctly, it came in around 5600 lbs.  throw in the rest of your gear and you may be talking about 5800 lbs give or take. 

i tow with a V8 toyota 4Runner with the factory load leveling system (7300lb towing capacity).  it also came with the larger brakes that were on the limited trim models at the time.  i'll admit that having another 150 to 200 ft lbs of tq from the more modern power plants would be nice, but my set up gets the job done and has handled several dicey situations quite well and i've never felt like the tail was wagging the dog.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

I live on a hill, so not 100% easy. But maybe a 5k slab and I could get buy with a 15k truck instead of a 35k truck. Plus some residual value for the house...

I am all about the concrete, but there are cheaper effective options if you just need a stable/non-muddy place to park:

https://www.landscapediscount.com/Ground-Grid-DuPont-p/DPGG-5055.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5OCyjYn24gIVlshkCh2y7AqUEAYYBiABEgJvyvD_BwE

19 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The current Grand Cherokee is a very capable tow vehicle.  Mine is the EcoDiesel, and is not my primary tow vehicle, but I wouldn't think twice about using it on a long haul.

If you go with the Colorado, I would stay away from the diesel - it is underpowered.  A buddy of mine who is in construction has one.  He likes it for the MPG, and he tows a 14' enclosed trailer.  He is sure the trailer is less than 5000 pounds, and the Colorado struggles with it.  He used to go back and forth to TX for a job, and he stopped using the Colorado for that because one trip, with a stiff headwind, he could barely maintain 65 MPH.  And outside of the diesel, his has had significant problems - enough that he tried to get it bought back.  All vehicles have problems.  Chevy and his dealer have done a terrible job of handling his, which would make me steer clear of them.

And, as a side note, personally I am not sure if someone with a 4x2 truck is qualified to lecture anyone on what a "REAL" truck is......:Tease3:

fullsizeoutput_133a.jpeg

Current truck is a 4x4, however it is always in 2wd.  Wasn't that long ago that 4wd was a rarity, yet somehow we all survived ;)

Edited by oldjeep

I tow my 2013 A22 with a 2006 VW Touareg V8.  Does a great job, considering I live in Utah and am towing over mountain passes.  It's also amazing for backing the boat into my drive way.  I think my next vehicle will be a 13'-16' TDI Touareg.  Also, just for fun: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, theloungelife said:

I tow my 2013 A22 with a 2006 VW Touareg V8.  Does a great job, considering I live in Utah and am towing over mountain passes.  It's also amazing for backing the boat into my drive way.  I think my next vehicle will be a 13'-16' TDI Touareg.  Also, just for fun: 

The ultimate tow vehicle (in this category) would be the new 2019 Touareg or the Q7RS(euro model!) w/ the V8 TDI and air suspension (416HP, 664 ft/lbs.) Sadly they never brought that motor to the US (and obviously never will) and they even dropped the Touareg from the US market😏.. people just want 3rd row soccer haulers (aka Atlas.). My V10 TDI Touareg was the best vehicle I have ever owned, it was amazing as doing everything and a ton of fun to drive. I owned it for 8 years and never really had an issue. Probably one of the most complex vehicles ever built but it was amazing on (or off!) the road. 

6CA2606B-8B60-4F00-BF2A-8C5EB52553D3.thumb.jpeg.bdc1a693fae69c33a21493c3cb7ffd0c.jpeg

6C135F41-1AB1-4DBA-B511-4CB157777B00.jpeg

Edited by gregtay
7 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Go to 1;30 in

Yep.. Cayenne GTS or higher and you get the 4 corner air suspension. Same suspension option on the Touareg (up till 2009.) only difference was stiffer sway bars on the Porsche but you could swap those on to the Touareg. The Cayenne, Touareg and Q7 (all basically the same car.. q7 being the longer WB version and not quite as capable) are great at towing (with the right options and motor.)

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Current truck is a 4x4, however it is always in 2wd.  Wasn't that long ago that 4wd was a rarity, yet somehow we all survived ;)

You and I live in different worlds. I’ve never seen a time when 4x4 was a rarity. 

11 minutes ago, RyanB said:

You and I live in different worlds. I’ve never seen a time when 4x4 was a rarity. 

Other than fleet work trucks the mechanical contractors run in WI, I agree.  Almost can't remember the last time I saw a 2wd consumer truck in WI.  I had an uncle who bought one and sold it the same year back in 1993 or so.

• Like 1

Love all the cool videos. Love the idea of a Touareg or Cayanne. Outside of my budget. Oddly enough a 2001 Sunkicker just came on the market. I guess i could downsize the boat. I owned that boat previously and it was the wifes favorite. I really like the VLX though. Anyway, garage dims:

Garage Dims

Height: 79.5  under opener, 83 at door opening

Width: 93

Depth: 15' 6" to bump

5' bump to wall

Per OldJeep, googling vehicle dims to see what will fit...

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Other than fleet work trucks the mechanical contractors run in WI, I agree.  Almost can't remember the last time I saw a 2wd consumer truck in WI.  I had an uncle who bought one and sold it the same year back in 1993 or so.

My dad spent his career working for one of the auto manufactures.  He retired as the Fleet Manager for the Denver Zone.  I remember one time he somehow ended up with a 4x2 truck.  They had to ship it down to Texas to get rid of it.  That would have been late '80s or early '90's.

Even fleets around here are 4x4's.  

My Great Uncle was a farmer.  He always said that a 4x4 truck would just get him stuck further back than a 4x2.  Even he ended up upgrading.  Can't imagine not getting 4x4.

Back to topic, that Macan is an AWESOME vehicle.  I'd really like one myself, but it is also out of my budget.  And I don't think I would be too confident towing even my fishing boat with it.

Did that diesel have it in 4wd. We went 2500 diesel and never looked back. 13 ram CTD. Deleted, 200hp tune. Wife loved it so she drives an 18 duramax.🙂. Got to keep her happy..now shewants hers to blow black smoke🤔

3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My dentist just got a Macan.  OMG - what a sweet ride.  Tows 5K.  

Real solution to my problems is to become a dentist...

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Hi y'all. I have a 2008 Ridgeline that has towed my two SSLX's and one SSLXi admirably. It towed all three from TX to WI and back.(Not at the same time of course...) Picked up an '05 VLX, and it's over weight I am sure. Malibu weight + trailer + gas would come right to 5k, but reading a lot of threads that say real weights are a lot more. I intend to hit a scale sometime, but I think it's obvious that this boat is too much for my Ridge. The Ridge is paid for, and I have a new 16 year old driver, plus a small garage. Trying to keep it low $$. I don't want to pay more that 20k, but that might not be realistic. I see Frontiers for 20-21k at Hertz.(Titan's for 24k...) Not really a fan of Frontiers, but anyone tow with one? New Ford Ranger seems appealing. I'm not a jeep fan, but suppose I should look at GC. Tacoma, but they are $$ and I don't like the sitting on the floor position. But I am ok with Toyota. Probably have to consider full size trucks, but they won't fit in the garage. Need 4x4.  

Luv my Ford 2.7 but the new Ranger only gets the mustang 2.3 L 4 cylinder eco, that won’t get it done except for neighborhood or couple mile tows and it’s gvwr probably won’t rate any better thsn your Ridgeline 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Love all the cool videos. Love the idea of a Touareg or Cayanne. Outside of my budget. Oddly enough a 2001 Sunkicker just came on the market. I guess i could downsize the boat. I owned that boat previously and it was the wifes favorite. I really like the VLX though. Anyway, garage dims:

Garage Dims

5' bump to wall

You can get an older Cayenne/Touareg for under 20K easily. I paid 17K Cdn for my 2008 Cayenne Turbo last year.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=518727359&zip=78722&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D78722%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3DCAYENNE%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26searchRadius%3D50&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=CAYENNE&makeCodeList=POR&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=CAYENNE&clickType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=518206161&zip=78722&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D78722%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3DCAYENNE%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26searchRadius%3D200&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=CAYENNE&makeCodeList=POR&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=CAYENNE&clickType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=513644611&zip=78722&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D78722%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3DCAYENNE%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26searchRadius%3D200&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=CAYENNE&makeCodeList=POR&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=CAYENNE&clickType=listing

Edited by asp13
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Garage Dims

5' bump to wall

If you keep an eye out Touaregs can be had for cheap.  A mid 2000s v8 can be had for under 10k with mileage under 80k - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759232088/overview/

Or for a little more modern, you can score a low mileage 2013+ TDI for under 20k.  From what I read it's best to go 22013+ up on the tdi because the emissions issue is much easier to fix if not already rectifed.    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/766737776/overview/

Maybe you've already answered but what's your budget?  

IIRC the 2013 to 16 VW and Audis SUVS have the same basic tech/electronics and there are only minor differences in these model years.  So it makes sense to go back to 13 for a better price especially if the miles are similar.  IIRC, a Q7 has a slightly longer wheel base than theTouaregs for maybe a bit better for towing.  

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, theloungelife said:

If you keep an eye out Touaregs can be had for cheap.  A mid 2000s v8 can be had for under 10k with mileage under 80k - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759232088/overview/

Or for a little more modern, you can score a low mileage 2013+ TDI for under 20k.  From what I read it's best to go 22013+ up on the tdi because the emissions issue is much easier to fix if not already rectifed.    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/766737776/overview/

Maybe you've already answered but what's your budget?  

That's really interesting, I didn't realize they could be found in those price ranges. My needs really point to a full size truck though. Only problem is the garage, but I am working on some ideas. If I can work out parking then it seems F-150, Silvarado/Sierra....

• Like 1

Late to the party but concur with where you are landing... the best cross section of size, reliability, power, resale, etc points to late model shortbed half ton.  As OJ has pointed out the small trucks are 7/8 size anyhow but seem to have less than 7/8 the towing capacity.  Plus the fullsize is money for the MTB team.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Late to the party but concur with where you are landing... the best cross section of size, reliability, power, resale, etc points to late model shortbed half ton.  As OJ has pointed out the small trucks are 7/8 size anyhow but seem to have less than 7/8 the towing capacity.  Plus the fullsize is money for the MTB team.

Yessir. I will just have to figure out how to manage the driveway and come up with some way to park it outside. Have a couple options brewing, but I think there is no way around the 1/2 ton crew for me. I don't like to put my money into things that depreciate, so a used truck with good resale is what I am looking for now. I'd like to keep it between 15 and 25k. I sorta hate that so many roads lead to the F-150, but will have to seriously consider that I guess. Silverado, Ram 1500. Hertz car sales has some 4x4 1/2 tons at a nice price. I just spent about 3 hours researching this segment, and holy cow there are a lot of options. Any pointers?

43 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Any pointers?

Depending on year, make and model of your truck, double check the maximum hitch "carrying weight" and whether the tow rating requires a weight distribution hitch to exceed 5000 lbs.  Many older 1/2 tons and I think up until very recently (and maybe still) the F-150 limited the carrying weight in the hitch to 500 lbs. and required a weight distribution hitch to conventional tow more than 5K lbs.  I like 12 to 15% tongue weight (at least 10%) for conventional towing and assuming a 6k lbs. boat and trailer that means the hitch needs to carry more than 500 lbs.  You don't want to screw around with a weight distribution hitch and a boat and its better to stay within published hitch limits.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1